Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

NBE and Diabetes

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Just no shortcake in celebration, ok? Yes, I know I am meanie ;-)

Yeah, I know.... Sad

I had a mouthful of gingerale is celebration, I think
I will make up a fruit smoothie and dump a bit of Sake in it... Wink

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Know all about the plateauing. I seem to get stuck every 4-5lb and it

My plateaus tend to be every ten pounds...

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Realise at 270 it can still feel a long way to go. But to drop from 315? MATE!! That's quite an achievement! Multiple brownie points are due.

Actually started at 350 in 2003, but the 315 was
last October... Weight has been up and down over the
years since 30 years old...

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Oh, and exercise for weight loss is different than for fitness training. HIT works (3 x 20 second intense exercise bursts with 20 second rest intervals). Unfortunately with my CFS this is not possible for me, but it's not essential. As it's been shown that just being active and occasionally getting a little out of puff actually burns more calories and helps with health more than hitting the gym. And with your ouchies I wonder if that might be a better approach for you too?

Usually I just do the bike and the treadmill at the gym, I can
exercise at home, a good walk for an hour is a good workout
as well...

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Though running away from those giant white inflatable balls must be keeping you active too? ;-)

[Image: c4e54f111db6ced44815f772ea40a784-650-80.png]

Big Grin

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  (Yes, I do get the inference with your signature. Your English roots are showing if you know that series ;-) Oh, did you know the setting for the "Village" was real and you can still go there?)

Yes, Portmeirion in North Wales, want to visit there sometime, it
is most definitely on the bucket list, should dress up as my
alter-ego and have a few pictures taken. Big Grin

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Think slim thoughts and keep happy.

I try...

You too!
-----
I am not a number! I am a free man!

(02-07-2016, 03:05 AM)6of1 Wrote:  
(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Just no shortcake in celebration, ok? Yes, I know I am meanie ;-)

Yeah, I know.... Sad

I had a mouthful of gingerale is celebration, I think
I will make up a fruit smoothie and dump a bit of Sake in it... Wink

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Know all about the plateauing. I seem to get stuck every 4-5lb and it

My plateaus tend to be every ten pounds...

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Realise at 270 it can still feel a long way to go. But to drop from 315? MATE!! That's quite an achievement! Multiple brownie points are due.

Actually started at 350 in 2003, but the 315 was
last October... Weight has been up and down over the
years since 30 years old...

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Oh, and exercise for weight loss is different than for fitness training. HIT works (3 x 20 second intense exercise bursts with 20 second rest intervals). Unfortunately with my CFS this is not possible for me, but it's not essential. As it's been shown that just being active and occasionally getting a little out of puff actually burns more calories and helps with health more than hitting the gym. And with your ouchies I wonder if that might be a better approach for you too?

Usually I just do the bike and the treadmill at the gym, I can
exercise at home, a good walk for an hour is a good workout
as well...

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Though running away from those giant white inflatable balls must be keeping you active too? ;-)

[Image: c4e54f111db6ced44815f772ea40a784-650-80.png]

Big Grin

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  (Yes, I do get the inference with your signature. Your English roots are showing if you know that series ;-) Oh, did you know the setting for the "Village" was real and you can still go there?)

Yes, Portmeirion in North Wales, want to visit there sometime, it
is most definitely on the bucket list, should dress up as my
alter-ego and have a few pictures taken. Big Grin

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Think slim thoughts and keep happy.

I try...

You too!
-----
I am not a number! I am a free man!

Hiya 6

I am siting here with a HUGE grin on my face! Just love the photo you found. Absolutely bril! I wonder how many others on here will have the slightest idea of what we are talking about?

Going back a few years I was living in Wales and actually tried to visit Portmeirion, but couldn't quite manage it. Really wish I made more of an effort. But perhaps the memory might be better than the reality?

Unless you are a total 'Prisoner' nut you probably won't remember that there was one episode where they were playing cricket. I now live less than 10 miles from where they filmed it! (ok, I will admit I didn't know this until I looked it up ;-)

I actually had to re-read where you said your max was 350lb. To be able to pull back from there is nothing short of amazing. You should be sooooooo proud of yourself! I tip my hat to you sir!

Hopefully over the next week or so I will finally get things back on track and catch up with stuff again. And I will definitely try to get that info I mentioned to you sorted. A couple of my friends are getting some amazing results.

And no shortcake!! ;-)

Take care.

Huggy.

Hiya 6

Sorry it has taken a while but finally have put together the info I mentioned to you.

I recently came across something that seems to be particularly effective for controlling diabetes, stomach/digestive problems and weight loss.

You ready for this? APPLE CIDER VINEGAR.

There is a lot to present so I will try and keep this as brief as possible. Basically there are two aspects to consider.

Stage one: Apple Cider Vinegar by itself.

The critical point here is that it has to be unpasteurised and unfiltered, sometimes described as having the "Mother". Although taking ordinary Apple Cider Vinegar can help with acid/alkali balance, it is getting ACV in its raw state that is important. As it is the Mother that has the Enzymes, Minerals, Vitamins, and Trace Elements that we are looking for. Just taking ACV has been shown to help with diabetes, weight control and stomach health.

And as we all know, a happy tum is a happy you :-)

Can be used as a regular vinegar. It is just vinegar after all, but it has a better flavour (at least I think so anyway ;-) and just for the taste alone I think it's worth trying.

As a tonic, mix 1-2 tablespoons of ACV with honey (some prefer lemon juice) in a glass of water. Some people also warm the water. Though NOT boiled as it kills the enzymes. 2-3 times a day is normally sufficient, but experiment and find what works best for you.

I did have some links I was going to include for the health benefits of ACV with the Mother, but as I write this I can't find them. Though a quick Google will throw up more than enough if you are interested I am sure.
Stage two: Betaine and Pepsin with ACV.

This takes things to a whole other level. But should NOT be taken on an empty stomach... always with food.

I personally know of four people who have been taking this, so although this is anecdotal and the usual YMMV caveat applies. I am getting this first hand and the effects they have described is hard to ignore.

One woman had been suffering from IBS and depression for years. Her doctor had basically given up and told her "It's IBS, deal with it!" She had tried various meds, diets, supplements and more, but got little relief. In less than a week of trying ACV with Betaine and Pepsin her stomach shape improved and her symptoms have since dramatically lessened.

Another lady in her 80's has multiple health issues, including type 2 diabetes at a level needing quite high dose Metfomin, and has to keep a constant monitor of her blood sugar levels. Having started with the ACV/B&P combo her blood sugar came down from low double figures to 9, and then 6. The last time she mentioned her levels she was down to 4, and the numbers have been staying down. She will be seeing her doctor again soon, and is hopeful of being able to come off the Metfomin once she get the ok from the doc.

Another friend of mine has had gut problems on and off for years, and a slow but relentless weight gain. Within a matter of a couple of weeks of starting this combo his stomach calmed down and his weight has started to drop too. Nothing else he was doing has changed. I saw him yesterday and I haven't seen him look that good in ages. His eyes were clearer and his skin had a much better colour and his stomach was noticeably less pronounced. He seemed happier in himself too.

His sister had recently joined the club and is also reporting good things.

My supplies should be arriving tomorrow and when I have something to report I will add my experiences too.

As a general introduction: http://www.modernherbalist.com/betaine.html
(He also makes some interesting comments about salt at the end of the page)

The importance of stomach acid, you need to watch this!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWvvnKqNmNA

Explanation of the what and why of ACV/Betaine and Pepsin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTClnX_XbvY
He talks about using ACV capsules, but ACV in liquid form is arguably better if you are ok drinking it. But if not, capsule does give you an option.

A review and experience of taking the combo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO3wbjlJr-E

I have some more information which I will try to collate should anybody be interested.

Wishing you happy tums :-)

Dr. Greger did a series of 4 short videos back in May that cover the science behind consuming vinegar. On each video you can click on the Sources Cited tab and scroll down where he provides the studies he cited with links so you can read the data for yourself. I list them in the order he presented them.

Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help with Weight Loss? -- CT scans confirm daily vinegar consumption can lead to a significant loss of abdominal fat.

Can Vinegar Help with Blood Sugar Control? -- The consumption of vinegar with meals was used as a folk remedy for diabetes before drugs came along, but it wasn’t put to the test until recently.

Optimal Vinegar Dose -- How much vinegar with a meal does it take to improve satiety and reduce the spike in blood sugar, insulin, and triglycerides?

Vinegar Mechanisms and Side Effects -- Does vinegar work by slowing stomach emptying, acting as a starch blocker, or improving insulin sensitivity? And what might be the downsides?

Hi Wendy

Very helpful links. I do like that guy, he is a mine of info.

Really do think we are onto something with this :-)

Huggy.

Sorry, haven't been follow this thread, but was told some great info had been posted.

(29-06-2016, 04:41 PM)Huggy Wrote:  I have been dragging my feet lately with the CFS and life stuff, but this weight loss method I have been using does seem to work. I really should get my mind straight and put something together as I am sure there are others who would find it helpful. I have mentioned most of it earlier in this post but to bullet point it... 1) No calories after 6.00pm. 2) Psyllium husk to help the tum work and support colon bacteria. 3) Amla to control the diabetes.

Oh, and exercise for weight loss is different than for fitness training. HIT works (3 x 20 second intense exercise bursts with 20 second rest intervals). Unfortunately with my CFS this is not possible for me, but it's not essential. As it's been shown that just being active and occasionally getting a little out of puff actually burns more calories and helps with health more than hitting the gym. And with your ouchies I wonder if that might be a better approach for you too?

I can attest to the mini-fast at night and HIT. Just 3 minutes (1 minute 3 days a week) of HIT a week got me through a barrier (95kg) that I'd been butting my head against for a long time. Thing is though, I started waiting longer between 20 sec bursts and it seemed to help (sorry Huggy, forgot to mention that Blush ). I'd wait until my breathing started to slow before doing the next burst which should increase the amount of fat breathed out with each 1 minute exercise session.

Due to some health issues I had to stop exercising a couple of months back and just worked up the courage to weigh myself this morning. Turns out that I haven't gained any weight after all the sitting around I've been forced to do! My living situation makes it difficult to eat dinner before 6 pm every night, but I have been eating breakfast later. The mini-fast and keeping up basic activity (sometimes just walking on the spot as too little or too much activity could floor me) is all I've managed the last 7+ weeks and my weight is holding!

While there might be some YMMV this stuff does work. Just be careful with starting any HIT; take it slow and build up slowly. If you have any medical conditions talk to your doctor first.

(25-07-2016, 09:52 AM)Huggy Wrote:  You ready for this? APPLE CIDER VINEGAR.
~
Lots of awesome info.

This is great, thanks Huggy!

Hiya 6

It's been a while (sorry) but I have finally managed to sit myself down and get this done for you.

Update on the Apple Cider Vinegar/Betane & Pepsin combo.  Put simply, it works!  Just make sure it's the unpasteurised version, with 'The Mother'. The normal stuff from the supermarket won't do. A recent episode of 'Trust me I am a doctor' had an item on ACV and there is clinical evidence of a benefit.

Dr. Michael Mosley (my hero) has recently published a book 'The 8 week blood sugar diet'. To put this simply.... you need to get this! In it he basically summarises much of what I have been learning for the last few years and squeezed it all into in one book (he must have been reading my notes :-). Even for those who may not have diabetes but want to loose some weight, you will find the information invaluable.

The stupid thing is that I knew this, I have known this, and I keep telling everybody else about this..... and somehow managed to develop a blind spot to it myself (headslap). THE REASON MY WEIGHT LOSS STOPPED WAS CARBOHYDRATES!

Thing is with carbs, it's not just the way that the body will convert it to sugar, which would be trouble enough.  The body reacts to it almost as though it is a toxin.  Because most people are in good enough health to cope with it, the effects aren't so noticeable. But it seems to be accumulative and if you are in poor health the effect can be devastating. 

I think I mentioned some time ago about Psyllium husk to help the tum work and support colon bacteria.  Well, I can confirm it is effective and I definitely felt better on it.  I was then introduced to something called Inulin.  Which does a similar job but with clinical evidence of helping reduce visceral fat.  So I switched over and gave that a go.  My stomach clearly became less bloated and I felt a little better.  But.... I could also tell I was missing the Psyllium Husk. 

So..... I combined the two. It was the missing piece of the puzzle!!!  The effect I have achieved by combining them is now unarguable. My stomach is definitely feeling and working better than it has in a long long while. And my new programme is getting results. Which if anybody has been following my posts will know has been a major issue for me.

There have also been some unexpected and very welcome effects. 

1) My depression has lifted (mostly) and general stamina is improved.  The ACV/B&P did help but it was when I introduced the Psyllium Husk and inulin combo there was a distinct change.  I have been aware for some time that mental health is affected by stomach health.  My own experience confirms this and I now believe it is fundamental!     

2) Appetite control.  Quite simply, I am not getting hungry.  Yes, I know when I need to eat but that compulsion of having to shove something, anything, especially if it is naughty, in my mouth has mostly gone. 

My routine now is some nuts or boiled egg for breakfast and half dose of Psyllium Husk and inulin. A decent lunch with 2 heaped teaspoons of Psyllium Husk and 1 heaped teaspoon of inulin. And for teatime same again with some Dr. Schulze's Superfood (other superfoods are available ;-) to make sure I am getting all the minerals and other healthy stuff my main meal might have missed.

Another interesting trick is that for lunch I am now using smaller plates (I honestly didn't think this would work but it does) and I have been able to substantially reduce my meal size and not notice it.

The compulsion to snack and 'treat' is much reduced.  The fancies are still there (can't argue that) but then it becomes a simple question of asking myself "How much do I want to get better?... How much do I want to get rid of the weight?... And what am I doing putting this muck in my mouth anyway?...  Who's in charge here! Me or my belly?... I mean, seriously.. biscuit or skinny and happy? How stupid am I?" (I talk to myself a lot lately ;-)                

It's about getting the stomach to work more as intended. The ACV/B&P pre-conditioned the belly, and the PH&B extracts the nutrients more efficiently and all together they help bring the hormones and enzymes in the belly back into the normal range.  And the reduced appetite is because the body isn't crying out for nutrients it hadn't been getting, even though I was actually eating more than enough calories.

The amazing thing is, I don't think anybody else has come up with this combo/method.  We really are on the cutting edge with this.      

Oh, another thing I have now proven, at least to my own satisfaction, is that carbohydrates are addictive! AND they also MAKE you hungry!

Let me bottom line this. I can now report that within the first fortnight of my starting this new plan I had smashed through an impenetrable barrier of 217-219lb that I have been beating my head against for so long.  And I have just seen on the dial of my scales the number of... 209 lb!!!! 

AND... that's with going back onto my NBE programme! So NBE and weight loss is possible.  If I can do it anyone can :-)

Have compressed a lot here so if anybody wants any more info please feel free to p.m. me and I will be happy to chat to you about it.  Hope you find it useful.

Huggy.

(12-10-2016, 05:27 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Hiya 6

It's been a while (sorry) but I have finally managed to sit myself down and get this done for you.
No problem, it will take me a while to "digest" it.  Big Grin
The apple cider stuff is interesting, the 'ol "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" tale
we oft heard tell of seems to actually be true..  Tongue

I keep a few days worth of apples on hand, one per day at
lunch time keeps the ageing gut working.  Rolleyes 
How are you feeling these days?

Hiya 6

Yeh, there is quite a bit to "digest".  As you probably have gathered there is more behind the info I have presented but didn't want to muddy the waters and detract from getting the basic points across.  I know how I can waffle ;-)

The Apple Cider Vinegar stuff really is interesting and more seems to be coming to light about this too. 

Apples are good, no doubt about that, but the process of making vinegar from the apples and then using the unpasteurised version is the key point to note here.   

For the moment I am just trying to get into and maintain a routine and let all this stuff do it's thing.  And I am trying to be realistic and accept it is still relatively early days, and to be honest some days are better than others.  But I am doing better than I have in a long time, and I have had to deal with some stuff that would have really knocked me for six only a short time ago.  But I am not being knocked back as far and my recovery time is greatly reduced.  And even the CFS is not as bad, which is a major (and very welcome) surprise! 

This concept of stomach and colon health being directly lined to mental health and well-being seems to be getting more defined and proven, and I am genuinely excited to see what other discoveries are still to come out.  I also suspect there could be an NBE angle to this too!  Watch this space........ ;-) 

(19-10-2016, 09:48 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Hiya 6

This concept of stomach and colon health being directly lined to mental health and well-being seems to be getting more defined and proven, and I am genuinely excited to see what other discoveries are still to come out.  I also suspect there could be an NBE angle to this too!  Watch this space........ ;-) 

It's interesting, isn't it?
Have a bad day, emotionally, and your gut can go off kilter,
have a bad day with your gut, and your emotions can go out
of whack as well, then the two can feed off each other.

Dealing with my dad having dementia has been a big stresser,
we didn't have the greatest relationship, it was amiable when
I reached adulthood, but still have a hard time getting over
his adulteries.... Still stress out over visiting with him...  Rolleyes

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon