Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

regretting for life after using Saw Palmetto

(12-09-2014, 04:58 AM)sp2000 Wrote:  I have seen a lot of drs and Endos but they are of no help. Yes my T is very low out of range low. The first time when discovered I had no idea what testosterone is. My dr put me on T cream which initially made me feel better but then I got worse and worse. I got a lot of water in my legs and chest to the point where was not able to walk. Also cream made me very moody. I had to stop it.After stopping I realized I worse than before.
I took 360 mg liquid saw palmetto.
No I had no issues before saw palmetto. I was kind of alpha male, very muscular. Saw palmeto is the only thing which I took for my hairloss.
SP only goes after DHT not all T. It sounds more like it exacerbated a problem that was just starting to hit anyway. Probably bad luck on the timing of your SP. And so when you stopped the SP it was still there. 2,000 mg 100:1 Tongkat Ali is beyond amazing for T. Hard Rhino at Amazon.com has some great TA. Plus they boost your own T production rather than containing any T so your balls get larger and sexual function improves. Taking outside T makes your balls even smaller. I have a pair of jumbo chicken eggs myself, not exaggerating. Studies and bodybuilder hormone tests confirm the rise in T. Try it, it works. In fact you may want to take it easy at first to prevent excessive soreness in balls and upper legs (where a lot of T is stored) from a sudden dramatic response. See how much is reasonable for you early on before upping it. If TA works well then you may amplify it with 50% saponin fenugreek extract, Testofen or 50% saponin shatavari extract (pick 1). But don't bother with any of these until you already have a good response from TA to amplify, or it may amplify the wrong hormones instead. These are also at Amazon and many other places.

AFAIK nothing else natural is even in the same ballpark as 100:1 TA and the various amplifying herbs for T. Most other options are a minor boost, if any. Not that there aren't other amazing herbs for other male sexual issues too. But for T I would certainly start on the above before you waste your time and get more frustrated. Then add more on top of that if you like.

Up to 30 mg zinc a day is also very important in case you are deficient. To start you may even shoot for a total of 1,000 mg (e.g., 100 mg x 10 days). Spread out the doses if you use a large amount to avoid shortness of breath. After the starting amount is done, limit to 30 mg a day. Even better than zinc are oysters since oysters contains both zinc and many other helpful minerals. Be sure to eat a lot though. 30 mg zinc is 200% RDA (but still low enough to be totally problem free). B6 may be helpful too. Preferably B6 from bran so that you get other Bs and minerals as well.

If your hormone panel showed high prolactin then try 500 mg vitex. Otherwise vitex is not necessary.

One of the hormone precursors I listed in my previous post may be nice too in case your body's own ability to make them is faltering for some reason. You might add one if TA doesn't work. In general you may want to start hunting down nutritional deficiencies. T production doesn't shut down at random. You probably ran out of some resource like zinc or are getting exposed to large amounts of prolactin or estrogen. The doctor's T likewise cuts off your own T production even more along with other testicle activity. Which may be why you eventually felt even worse; because it addressed the low T but worsened other testicle/sexual issues.

Oh and if you want more good tips for T and so on, try bodybuilding forums. They'll have better info than NBE forums. Not that there haven't been some decent ideas. Just stay away from the drugs some of them are on; a lot of them have major side effects and require extreme caution without doctor supervision. Taking T = taking steroids btw. Way better for your body to make its own.

(12-09-2014, 04:58 AM)sp2000 Wrote:  I have seen a lot of drs and Endos but they are of no help. Yes my T is very low out of range low. The first time when discovered I had no idea what testosterone is. My dr put me on T cream which initially made me feel better but then I got worse and worse. I got a lot of water in my legs and chest to the point where was not able to walk. Also cream made me very moody. I had to stop it.After stopping I realized I worse than before.
I took 360 mg liquid saw palmetto.
No I had no issues before saw palmetto. I was kind of alpha male, very muscular. Saw palmeto is the only thing which I took for my hairloss.

So the doctor gave you testosterone without an aromatase inhibitor? A common male Arimidex dose is either 100 mcg/day or a single 1 mg tablet cut into quarters and spread out over a week. More than that and my liver gets stressed (i.e. liver enzyme elevation).

I have been in this mess for over four years so you can imagine what might have not done to fix it. My body is behaving in a very wieired way for example my blood shows
high cortisole
low FSH and LH
but my saliva shows
very low almost zero cortisol
more than double FSH and LH

I have never smoked or drunk in my life (for religious reasons).
I have rarely eaten junk food. Very much household guy.
Alway had hard to control libido.

No it is not bad luck. It is not a coincidence either. I dont think I had low sperms or low testosterone issue in my life. I come from a large family (mainly boys). I am married and luckily had already got children before using SP .Interestingly my all kids are boys. Saw palmetto did what it is supposed to do. Saw Palmetto is a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor. Anybody taking Saw Palmetto , depending on time, will ultimately get fertility and low testosterone issues.I can show many studies. Debating whether SP can cause issues to only few people is like debating whether sun can rises in the West too. you don't need to do very hard study to find out this. Simply visit few hair loss forums and see how many boys are struggling with saw palmetto sides.Their lives have literally ruined. Over four years I have recieved (actually these people contacted me) many emails from boys and girls (girls mainly used SP for acne) who are very badly affected from side effects of SP just like me.

I am sorry I have not come here to debate about Saw Palmetto. I am also done with testosterone therapy too.Our bodies (people who have used 5 AR inhibitors) don't respond to T-therapy the way it should. body has become resistant. By whatever means you increase the testosterone, it converts to other hormones.Some pathway has broken down (my own opinion, have no study here)

I have come to this forum because I want to try bovine glandular extracts and this is very important for me. I need your help here. I want to know if any woman has got any side effects from Bovine Ovary extract. Again this is very important.. I want to try Adrenal or thyroid or testicular glandular extract but want to do tons of studies. Dont want to repeat the same mistake.

Glandular testosterone will be the same as any other testosterone and likewise reduce your own production in the testicles. Doing so also decreases other testicle functions besides testosterone, such as sperm. That's why I say to increase your own testosterone production instead. There are many studies on tongkat ali. Check pubmed.gov, or the tongkat ali wikipedia links to pubmed.gov if that's more convenient. And a wide variety of herbs that are studied to increase sperm count. Dunno anything about thyroid and adrenal extracts. If anything I'd think you'd want a hypothalamus extract for LH & FSH but that seems like a needlessly complicated way to get it. Then you may as well ask the doc for an HCG prescription but it's easy to overdose on that stuff and fry your balls if you're not careful, besides other sides. But actually I'd just pick up some TA and avoid all that. And watch out if he suggests clomid or another SERM because of all the estrogen-like emotional effects that you probably don't want.

Asking the doctor for an aromatase inhibitor to go with any testosterone is a nice suggestion too.

Balding is often believed to be the result of testosterone but it is actually the result of failing hormones. It is only from DHT testosterone. While T can convert to DHT, often your body goes to primarily DHT because your hormones aren't working right. The DHT is much stronger than regular testosterone so it makes a great substitute providing lots of T effects, but it comes with issues like balding. SP blocks the conversion of T to DHT.

And low T doesn't shrink your balls. If anything reducing your T would make your balls larger because it causes the body to respond by activating the balls more. Instead it's the other way around: shrunken balls causes low T.

Low estrogen/prolactin/testosterone => GnRH => LH + FSH => testicle activity including growth + sperm + testosterone => estrogen => prolactin => reduced GnRH production (from the last 3 increasing). It's a self-regulating loop. GnRH, LH and FSH are made in the pituatary. Also dopamine reduces prolactin and vis versa. Likewise lowering dopamine increases prolactin and vis versa. And T can also become DHT which is a stronger form of T but it is also associated with balding, acne, etc. HCG imitates LH. Cholesterol becomes DHEA and DHEA gets converted into the other hormones in the testicles. Here's a bajillion pictoral sources for support: https://www.google.com/search?q=map+hypothalamic+gonadal+axis&biw=853&bih=460&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=o50TVMrRBsHB8QHM2YCADQ&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Tongkat ali increases GnRH by blocking estrogen and prolactin in the pituatary. Zinc is essential for a variety of testicular functions. B6 is essential for a variety of hormonal conversions. Maybe you're missing something else and none of these will work, but adding whatever source of T is only going to shrink your balls more.

What about placenta? Would placenta be helpful for him? I'm about to start a placenta program. after doing some reading, I feel it could be beneficial to a lot of individuals.

(13-09-2014, 08:54 AM)NattyTooty Wrote:  What about placenta? Would placenta be helpful for him? I'm about to start a placenta program. after doing some reading, I feel it could be beneficial to a lot of individuals.
I think he needs FSH and LH and/or possibly whatever raw materials are missing. I am not too familiar with what is in all the various glandulars. Really I think he would be better off asking bodybuilder forum guys since they will have tons and tons of first hand experience. It may be worthless or it may be dangerous bull steroids (testosterone = steroids) or etc. Either way please please heavily read up from or ask males who have actually been in the same boat. And/or check studies.

I mean you've had a bad experience with an herb and a doctor so you're going to rush in blindly with what could be nothing or could be dangerous street drugs? Ask those who have actually been there with the same issues, same goals and same gender. There's no shortage of them.

to give you guys some clues what is going on with us (people who used 5AR inhibitors). you will notice even with high free testosterone your problem is not fixed. These are not my results but another guy's who is suffering like me.Note his cortisol is too low but Test is too high.
I have mentioned already that my blood test is too low,cortisol is too high, my LH, FSH low too but my saliva cortisol is too low and LH, FHS are too high.

E2 = 30...slightly elevated
Progesterone = 54.44 extremely low.. range is 94
Ratio of Progesterone /E2 = 18.89.. also really low
Total Test = 2076.. this is on Topical cream ..extremely high
Dhea = 519.25 range is 137- 336 extremely high
Cortisol Morning = 8.50 range is 18-35...extremely low
Cortisol Night = 0.49 range is 2-6
T4 = 1.1 range is 0.8-1.8 below average
T3 = 3.4 above average
Vitamin B12 was below average
Ferretin was below average
Free Testosterone = 484.50 extremely high
Vitamin D= 24 range is 30-100

But what are the other guy's LH, FSH and prolactin? Like I said using T cream solves the low T but makes his balls even worse.

At least start with zinc or better yet oysters. They are harmless in proper amounts and absolutely essential for normal function. They are an easy first step. Long term up to 30 mg zinc a day or 8 oz oysters per week. More is ok short term, only causes brief shortness of breath if you don't spread it out. Mussels are nice to add on too as long as you get oysters first. Likewise 2,000-10,000 iu vitamin D and about 150-200% rda B6 or better yet bran for B6. These are all totally harmless and healthy food items. 1-2 tsp fish oil and 6-8 tsp rice bran (which also covers B6) are also nice for reproductive health but not as critical.

Then after that it would be nice to get a full accurate hormone test for yourself including prolactin, estrogen, LH, FSH, testosterone, DHEA and correct with a prescription or herbs. Except not the testostetone directly. They might give you HCG if it is from low LH or clomid or an anti prolactin if the low LH and FSH are from estrogen or prolactin. I'd suggest TA and vitex though to avoid the side effects including estrogeny mood effects which you don't want. DHEA is safe if you have low DHEA though. But the main thing is to get tested and find the real main underlying problem instead of band-aiding the testosterone and shrinking your balls even more.

I will try to find the site on placenta and increasing different hormones. i am taking it for the HCG it contains.
are your intentions to become female or to get back to the state you were prior to SP?

I know there are some males on this forum. My questions for them are

1- When you use bovine glandular ( yes only bovine ovary extract and no other herb like saw palmetto or other stuff which I don't know) do you get shrinkage and loss of erections?
2-Are these side effects permanent? If you stop taking glandulars can you go back to normal?
3-What do you do to get normal.

thanks for your time.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon