Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

PM and blood pressure

In the light of the various responses to my query, I've been reviewing my records. I would emphasize that the BP elevations I have been talking about have been quite modest, and although they initially seemed to have a pattern (see below), this has not been consistent. It occurs to me that there is one alternative explanation. Since my GB surgery last summer I have on and off been taking cholestyramine (to deal with mild bile acid problems) which may perhaps have been the cause of of my increased water retention. The prescription ran out last week, a day or two before the end of my PM cycle. My BP readings have now returned to normal, my weight has dropped sharply, and the problem for which I was taking the cholestyramine seems to have disappeared. So while I may have been right about the BP increase being due to water retention, it may well have had nothing to do with PM. According to the table accompanying our body composition scale, females tend to have a lower water content than males of the same age, which suggests that PM should not increase water retention.

When previously taking PM I had taken occasional ‘holidays’, and on restarting PM on September 30 I decided to follow the same practice and worked up the daily dose from 1 gram to three grams at the beginning of the third week , and after four weeks dropped back to 1 g. before repeating the build up, partly to reduce total PM consumption, but incidentally establishing a four week cycle. Up to Christmas, blood pressure levels rose and fell moderately, more or less in line with PM dosage, but Christmas and New Year caused an out of phase increase(they say that it’s a stressful time of yearSad) and the remainder of January also failed to follow PM consumption Initially I was splitting the doses, half in the morning and half last thing at night, but I then saw Abi Drew’s much more scientific cycle, and she provided the information that natural female estrogen levels were highest in the morning and dropped to low levels by the end of the day, suggesting that last thing at night was not the best time to take PM. A query arose around the same time as to the half life of PM, which is something obviously relevant to dosage timing. As far as I know, no reliable answer emerged, and I couldn’t find one, but 2 -3 hours seemed the most probable. Half lives are tricky, both because they depend on how a pharmaceutical is administered, and upon the half lives of active metabolites. So having started by reducing the relative size of the evening dose and taking it at about 7pm, and having noted no ill effects, I am now taking the entire dosage first thing each morning. I have also been using PC during two weeks in each cycle based on a suggestion by Abi Drew.
Several people here have advocated splitting PM input ito multiple doses so as to maintain consistent levels, and while this may avoid side effects, it still leaves the question of whether growth is more dependent on high average estrogen levels or high peak levels. Given that estrogen levels in genetic females appear to have wide diurnal and monthly variations, the latter strikes me as more likely. Presently at least, the high peak levels that I expect are produced by my present dosage pattern seem to be working. As another query, how do estrogen levels vary in genetic girls during the course of puberty, and is this yet another pattern to emulate?

(19-02-2013, 03:53 PM)bryony Wrote:  
(19-02-2013, 02:07 PM)flamesabers Wrote:  I always try to order my pm far in advance so I never have to worry about running out.
Ha ha! coulda shoulda woulda? Big Grin

Yeah. Tongue

For whatever reason, this reminds me of another thread in which we talked about what we would do if pm was no longer available on the market. Sad

AnnabelP

I had high blood pressure prior to using PM and take medication each day. Since being on PM (6 months) I have had no problems with my BP. Matter of fact I like many others have expressed here find that my blood pressure is better since the PM. I get less excited about things going on and just feel better in general since beginning PM. I do have the headaches occasionall due to estrogen dominance at times but use progesterone and that seems to help a lot. Overall, PM has made me more mellow and I feel the brain re-wiring has helped my whole outlook on life. I think many of us here have found that to be the case. I agree with Flamesabers that you should split your doses up during the day. I take 2,500 mg of PM each day and take one about every 4 hours. This seems to be better than double doses morning and night. Good luck with the BP because that is something that you need to control!

Kindest regards!
KellyG

(20-02-2013, 01:21 AM)AnnabelP Wrote:  it still leaves the question of whether growth is more dependent on high average estrogen levels or high peak levels. Given that estrogen levels in genetic females appear to have wide diurnal and monthly variations, the latter strikes me as more likely.

There may be some empirical support for the 'peak' theory.
1) I certainly found that when varying my dose on a monthly cycle basis, I noticed increased growing pains on both sides of the peak intake.
2) Quite a few people have commented on an apparent short duration spurt in growth after they have completely stopped taking PM.

Personally I have attributed both those effects to the body being sensitive to changes in levels, not the actual level itself, that could also tie in with peak although in a lightly different mechanism.

(20-02-2013, 01:21 AM)AnnabelP Wrote:  As another query, how do estrogen levels vary in genetic girls during the course of puberty, and is this yet another pattern to emulate?

Elsewhere on the boards this same question has already come up, I can't recall whether it was tibetan or mochaccino who raised it.

Anyways, it'd appear that there actually is no real difference between pubescent girl's hormones and mature women's hormones. The difference is only that pubescent girl's aren't yet ADAPTED to the hormonal fluctuations that they will be experiencing for most of their remaining lives.

Which holds up to the empirical evidence from TS's who report experiencing a "second puberty" as a female when they first go on hormones until some years later when they finally become accustomed to it all.

Which would also explain why some of the people here don't like taking it on a diurnal and bimonthly peak and wane schedule - they don't appreciate the experience of a female puberty.

(20-02-2013, 08:19 AM)Pansy-Mae Wrote:  There may be some empirical support for the 'peak' theory.
1) I certainly found that when varying my dose on a monthly cycle basis, I noticed increased growing pains on both sides of the peak intake.
2) Quite a few people have commented on an apparent short duration spurt in growth after they have completely stopped taking PM.

Personally I have attributed both those effects to the body being sensitive to changes in levels, not the actual level itself, that could also tie in with peak although in a lightly different mechanism.

I also vary my doses but on a much smaller scale and for very different reasons. For me, varying my dosage has always been about maintaining the brain rewiring rather than trying to stimulate a female puberty or achieving a growth spurt. It seems if I can keep the brain rewiring on track, the breast growth follows suit.

When I began NBE I had no BP issues I was aware of and hadn't had any cause to have it checked. Some time (months) after starting, I went for an age-related checkup and was diagnosed slightly high for BP, all other things good. For some time I blamed the PM, despite the elevation being small. Over time I have observed that my BP does not track my PM intake or lack thereof.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon