Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

PM and blood pressure

Has any one any observations on the possible effect of PM on blood pressure? Having had a long but recently almost too successful campaign to achieve reduced levels of BP, I monitor it fairly assiduously. Since I restarted PM 20 weeks ago, I have observed somewhat increased blood pressure levels (although still within the most recent guidelines set by my cardiologist). I have been varying PM dosage on a four week cycle but have not been able to identify any consistently correlated variation in my blood pressure levels. I have found that my weight has trended upwardly since I restarted PM at a rate greater than can be accounted for solely by slippage in my diet. My tentative conclusion is that PM results in increased water retention (hence the increase in weight), and that this results in an increase in blood volume that modestly increases BP. We do have one of those body composition indicating weighing machines, but its water and fat content readings are so erratic that they are not much help. Any significant increase in indicated water content is accompanied by a much larger and more improbable decrease in indicated body fat percentage! The BP increase isn't big enough to be of concern, but I am curious as to whether this is known effect of PM.

I haven't heard of anyone else having issues with their BP while taking pm. Huh

My BP has only decreased since I've been taking pm. My speculation is if pm has played a part in lowering my BP, I think the most likely explanation is my BP has gone down as a result of pm improving my sense of well-being.

Abidrew had some experience with raised BP I think. Somewhere in her program thread.

I also have noticed some odd symptoms of high BP since taking PM for over a year. Taking CoQ-10 daily has caused them to subside though.

I'm sure like with anything some of us are more susceptible to it than others.

(19-02-2013, 03:45 AM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  Abidrew had some experience with raised BP I think. Somewhere in her program thread.

I also have noticed some odd symptoms of high BP since taking PM for over a year. Taking CoQ-10 daily has caused them to subside though.

I'm sure like with anything some of us are more susceptible to it than others.

Ah, my BP problems long predate anything to do with NBE though. Actually I seem to not be having as much problem lately. At least, my physical symptoms haven't manifested as often or as badly. I admit I'm not really testing it very regularly.

I've mentioned it because I've mentioned taking some of what I'm taking specifically because of my history of it. As well as of elevated heart rate.

I honestly don't know what effect PM may or may not be having on my BP levels. I'm using a combination remedy of CoQ10 and Red Yeast Rice to keep them controlled. If PM is antagonizing it, I haven't noticed, and if PM is aiding the CoQ10/RYR in my fight against it, I likewise haven't noticed.

That's the thing. I never had any problems with BP before, but a few months ago I started getting the symptoms. Had it tested and it was high, but I can't say whether its purely the PM, the FG i was taking, or just me getting older.

Or all of the above...

I'm also interested in other observations regarding BP. Mine has been creeping up for years and typically sits around the "borderline high" level. It got scary high for a few months (before I started PM) but my doctor attributes that to chronic pain due to my back injury. That's better and the level is back down to where it usually is. I was kind of hoping the PM might have the opposite effect given all the "miracle properties" commonly attributed to it.

I'm 6 weeks on PM now, and still have a remarkably reduced anxiety level, much softer skin, and I've noticed that the grey in my hair is disappearing. No more grecian formula!

Misty

It's possible that it might have a very small deleterious effect, and that for most tg men using it, the overwhelming positive mental effects have a much greater effect at reducing the anxiety they've always lived with, which in turn reduces it far more than it raises it. For most. Or maybe it's PURELY "in the mind" in both directions. Perhaps some are experiencing somewhat elevated anxiety and aren't noticing it other than with an elevated bp?

I do believe I'd attribute the positives this way, at least. I'm just not sure about the negatives.

It's worth having your own BP monitor, because they are quite cheap nowadays. Also because there is quite a variation in measurement according to time of day.

I'm like flamesabers, mine seems to go up if I stop taking PM. (I foolishly ordered too late recently and had a week of cold turkey. My BP went up from ideal to high normal.)

B.

I like your new avatar Misty.

(19-02-2013, 12:58 PM)bryony Wrote:  I'm like flamesabers, mine seems to go up if I stop taking PM. (I foolishly ordered too late recently and had a week of cold turkey. My BP went up from ideal to high normal.)

Maybe the stress of knowing you had run out of pm contributed to your higher BP?

I always try to order my pm far in advance so I never have to worry about running out.

(19-02-2013, 02:07 PM)flamesabers Wrote:  I like your new avatar Misty.

(19-02-2013, 12:58 PM)bryony Wrote:  I'm like flamesabers, mine seems to go up if I stop taking PM. (I foolishly ordered too late recently and had a week of cold turkey. My BP went up from ideal to high normal.)

Maybe the stress of knowing you had run out of pm contributed to your higher BP?

Probably - rather like going out without an asthma inhaler! I also think the anxiolytic effects may be as, or more important.

Quote:I always try to order my pm far in advance so I never have to worry about running out.

Ha ha! coulda shoulda woulda? Big Grin

B.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon