Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Got noticed today

(28-02-2013, 08:03 AM)Lenneth Wrote:  but when I go to get antibiotics to help kill a flu or something, I don't care for a GP to pull a Sigmund Freud asking completely off the wall questions about things not only completely unrelated but none of their business...

Antibiotics only kill bacteria, not viruses. Flu is a virus. Antibiotics have ZERO effect on flu.

I'd worry about the qualifications of doctors who missed this simple fact.

I'm going to the doctor's again later this month. I'm curious to see if anything more is going to be said about my "bilateral gynecomastia." It's been about a year since that was first added to my medical records.

I'm thinking no since the reason I'm going to the doctor's has absolutely nothing to do with my chest or internal organs (unlike last time), but who knows?

Flame, dear, have you thought about what you will say to the doctor if the subject comes up again? I'm eventually going to be put in the same spot and don't know whether to be forthright or not.

Clara Smile

For this visit, there's no reason I should have to remove my shirt unless it's about my breast growth. I can imagine the doctor looking at my chest and saying "'I noticed you were diagnosed with gynecomastia last year. Any changes?"

I'll probably say something similar to what I said last time: I'm not bothered by my breast growth and am not interested in pursuing any "treatment" options. It's not like the doctor took measurements or pictures last time, so it's not they have anything to compare with against my current development. I'm not seeing the same doctor anyway.

Good plan, Flame. People forget that doctors work for us. We can always say no to whatever they request or suggest. It really takes them by surprise, and they really don't like it, but they have no power if you just say no...Gawd...I sound like Nancy ReaganRolleyes

(08-02-2014, 05:05 PM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  People forget that doctors work for us. We can always say no to whatever they request or suggest. It really takes them by surprise, and they really don't like it, but they have no power if you just say no.

This is self-evident to me. This hasn't been an issue with the doctors I've seen so far. Maybe it's because they're all the laid-back type? Or maybe it's because they have enough sense to recognize I'm an adult and I came to see them on my own volition so I get the final say in my treatment?

(08-02-2014, 05:23 PM)flamesabers Wrote:  
(08-02-2014, 05:05 PM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  People forget that doctors work for us. We can always say no to whatever they request or suggest. It really takes them by surprise, and they really don't like it, but they have no power if you just say no.

This is self-evident to me. This hasn't been an issue with the doctors I've seen so far. Maybe it's because they're all the laid-back type? Or maybe it's because they have enough sense to recognize I'm an adult and I came to see them on my own volition so I get the final say in my treatment?

Well. I would guess it varies from doctor to doctor. Just like all people, they comes with all kinds of personalities. The more egotistical, of which there are more than a few, will not likely react as you have described. I have run into several arrogant MD's over the years, and one meeting is always enough to persuade me to seek my care elsewhere.Cool

I've got to find a new doctor this year, having moved too far away from the one I've been seeing for many years. I'm thinking of switching to a female doc. Any experience pro or con? I've never had a female doc before.

Clara Smile

(08-02-2014, 06:23 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  I've got to find a new doctor this year, having moved too far away from the one I've been seeing for many years. I'm thinking of switching to a female doc. Any experience pro or con? I've never had a female doc before.

I think it depends ultimately on personality. I'm sure we've all met or heard about kind and supportive male doctors while having an unfortunate experience of dealing with a distant or rude female doctor.

For example, I'm seeing a male therapist and he's been very helpful with my struggle with depression.

When I was unemployed I frequently donated platelets at a local blood donor center. The place is staffed almost exclusively by female nurses. A number of them I think were very sweet and friendly with the blood donors, while a few of them didn't seem to have much interest with the people coming in to donate blood.

I think a number of members here find it easier to discuss health concerns about their breasts with a female doctor than a male doctor.

(08-02-2014, 06:23 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  I've got to find a new doctor this year, having moved too far away from the one I've been seeing for many years. I'm thinking of switching to a female doc. Any experience pro or con? I've never had a female doc before.

Clara Smile

Clara, my GP is a young (early 30s) female, and is super. Of course, it will vary by individual, but there is nothing I would hesitate to discuss with her. In fact, I'm due for my annual shortly, and plan on telling her about NBE, what I am taking and dosages and discussing the possibility of a hormone eval. I am more interested in her reaction at that point, and that will determine whether or not she will continue to be my GP!

IMO, a female physician is generally more sympatico than a male, but then again, I find most females more sympatico than males... Big Grin

XO,
Lisa

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon