Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Is PM safer then synthetic Estrogens?

Hi, from what I read, phytoestrogens carry with it a a much lower risk of developing (breast) cancer compared to synthetic estrogens. I also read that PM is basically the same as synthetic estrogens except it acts slower. However, if PM gives the results you want, as I see many here on this forum, how will one justify using synthetics, other than it's probably more researched and well-known? The herbals are probably cheaper too. Please let me know as I am very curious.

Thanks.

Estradiol will show up on blood testing, while phytoestrogens wont. So if you're having regular testing done, it's nice to be able to see where your E levels are at. Also, it's cheaper than or close to the same price(depending on how your buy your PM) of PM if you have a prescription.

Just to clear something up, estradiol is often referred to as "synthetic", but it's bioidentical to the estradiol found in humans. Phytoestrogens are found in plants but not humans "naturally". So an argument could be made that, in some ways, estradiol is more "natural" a substance to the human body than plant-derived estrogens are.

All that being said, if you don't want to go through the medical orthodoxy (which I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do so), have no issues with, and are getting good results taking PM, then in that circumstance it would be safer to continue taking it than to switch to estradiol, in my opinion. Even though I developed some side effects from PM eventually, if I had it to do over again I'd still start out with PM, as most have no problems with it, and it produced good results for awhile.

Nothing is ever truly safe though, or to phrase it differently, everything is safe until tragedy strikes and you are in that "1%". That's true of so many things though. Inherently, living your life is not a safe venture. Tongue

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thanks Sarah for your explanation, I also read about other health benefits of PM too, I think I just need some time to think everything through.

Bobowo,

Members have reported symptoms from taking pm, but I think most were able to resolve the problem by changing their dosage or making some other change to their regime. So long as you don't go crazy with your dosage and are careful about preventing estrogen dominance, there's a decent chance I think that you'll do okay with pm.

I think another consideration is with pm it's a bit more "do-it-yourself" program versus following a prescription you get from a doctor. There's pros and cons to both styles, but I do think it's simpler to fine-tune your pm dosage versus having to talk to your doctor to adjust a prescription. Also, while there is a growing number of members using synthetics here, I think the vast majority of members are mostly experienced with herbs. You'll probably get more advice and feedback if you pursue the herbal route rather than the synthetics path. Of course, you could always combine the two!

Good advice from Sarah and Flame, honey. Just one more thing to consider...conventional wisdom here, combined with opinions found elsewhere, is that herbal HRT is usually a slower process than going with pharma. Of course, individidual results may vary. However, for those starting out, especially those without the bennefits of long term experience dressing or with professional counseling, the slower path with herbs presents the benefit of giving plenty of time to absorb change and make course corrections or reversals if needed.
Most here who have ultimately gone over to pharma have done so after a long time on herbs first, and after plenty of time to experience those effects before deciding to push further.
Hugs

(18-04-2014, 05:58 AM)bobowo Wrote:  Hi, from what I read, phytoestrogens carry with it a a much lower risk of developing (breast) cancer compared to synthetic estrogens. I also read that PM is basically the same as synthetic estrogens except it acts slower. However, if PM gives the results you want, as I see many here on this forum, how will one justify using synthetics, other than it's probably more researched and well-known? The herbals are probably cheaper too. Please let me know as I am very curious.

Thanks.

While I havent been on PM for long, only about 3 months, I can tell you it does workSmile

You need to be sure this is what you want though before starting because it may take you places you never thought you wanted to goWink

Now Ive been on pharma E for only 2 days now but I can tell you why I ended up going that route...

First Id been wanting to go on HRT before I ever tried PM... After lurking here and seeing what looked like good results I decided to try NBE before going with the medical establishment.....

I can tell you I was skeptical about NBE But I was WRONG...

On me anyway PM works very wellSmile

So I figure if your going to do this why not go see a doctor and make sure everything is OK??? I did and Im fine after some large doses of PM the last three months...

But If Im gonna go there why screw around??? Syn E is tightly regulated and guaranteed pure where as the herbs have no guarantee....

So after two days (not long I admit) my impression is the E is more effective than the PM and I have a doctor monitoring me in case something goes wrong....

E on a prescription covered by insurance is cheaper than PM capsules but bulk powdered PM might be comparable in price I donno....

(18-04-2014, 01:53 PM)LittleMissS Wrote:  So I figure if your going to do this why not go see a doctor and make sure everything is OK??? I did and Im fine after some large doses of PM the last three months...

But If Im gonna go there why screw around??? Syn E is tightly regulated and guaranteed pure where as the herbs have no guarantee....

So after two days (not long I admit) my impression is the E is more effective than the PM and I have a doctor monitoring me in case something goes wrong....

So the doctor will be fine with recommending PM and not synthetics? I don't think I'm GD enough to be prescribed HRT (they're not going to just prescribe you medicine for just half-way HRT right? either all or nothing?), and I don't know if a doctor will consider PM to be for that, but I'm expecting that the doctor wouldn't approve it since they both ultimately do the same thing. I think the best I can manage through the doctor route is finasteride. I can pull it off that I want to preserve my hair (in which I really do)

bobowo,

From what I've heard, most doctors are dismissive of pm. I suspect your biggest barrier will be paying for HRT, whether it be from your own pocket or through your insurance.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon