Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Finasteride - Causing weird tickling sensation in brainstem

(30-08-2016, 04:47 AM)bobowo Wrote:  
(29-08-2016, 10:16 PM)Lotus Wrote:  The information from studies I've seen indicate finasteride at all dosages inhibit DHT, starting within the first 2 weeks, though long term consistent use will have more results. Published reports say fin was well tolerated.........everyone is different so beware it could impact your health (liver too) differently than those " well tolerated " individuals. Dodgy

Ahh, so sounds like there's a good chance I would be fine healthwise, and it is a strong enough t-blocker by itself to pair with PM? I wouldn't need to take SP or reishi root or something in addition?

I was under the belief that Spiro blocked the most of T to DHT conversion. Fin, however blocked the DHT, at the actual receptors.

(30-08-2016, 10:00 AM)jannet.duff Wrote:  
(30-08-2016, 04:47 AM)bobowo Wrote:  
(29-08-2016, 10:16 PM)Lotus Wrote:  The information from studies I've seen indicate finasteride at all dosages inhibit DHT, starting within the first 2 weeks, though long term consistent use will have more results. Published reports say fin was well tolerated.........everyone is different so beware it could impact your health (liver too) differently than those " well tolerated " individuals. Dodgy

Ahh, so sounds like there's a good chance I would be fine healthwise, and it is a strong enough t-blocker by itself to pair with PM? I wouldn't need to take SP or reishi root or something in addition?

I was under the belief that Spiro blocked the most of T to DHT conversion. Fin, however blocked the DHT, at the actual receptors.

Other way around, Finasteride blocks the conversion of testosterone to the more potent DHT by 5a-reductase, type 2 to be exact. Spirolactone acts by competing with DHT at the receptor level, and also increases the metabolic clearance of testosterone.

Combination therapy (i.e. Fin & Spiro) has been shown more effective at treating hirsutism (unwanted male pattern hair growth in women) BPH, prostate cancer, etc. than single drug therapy. Meaning yes, I would take a dual inhibitor like dutaseride, or another combination to inhibit DHT, lots of alternative are available. Reishi (a certain kind) is said to be a dual inhibitor like dutas (inhibits type I & II 5 alpha reductase). With something like PM adding Green Tea makes sense, and some fatty acids like GLA (gamma linoleic acid) could work too.

We've pretty much covered plasma & tissue specific sex steroid hormones end to end, though nuero-steroid research is lacking I think, it's something we need to look at more carefully.

Nuero-intracrinology Rolleyes or should we say Neuro-phenomenology is some fascinating stuff. The brain nuerosteroids can be up to 200x stronger over plasma hormones, so you see it has a great deal of potential, for instance (from a recent study) estradiol synthesized in interneurons in the hypothalamus may play a significant role in the control of the GnRH surge and/or pulsatility of GnRH release.

Neurosteroids represent a class of endogenous steroids that are synthesized in the brain, the adrenals, and the gonads and have potent and selective effects on the GABAA-receptor. 3α-hydroxy A-ring reduced metabolites of progesterone, deoxycorticosterone, and testosterone are positive modulators of GABAA-receptor in a non-genomic manner. Allopregnanolone (3α-OH-5α-pregnan-20-one), 5α-androstane-3α, 17α-diol (Adiol), and 3α5α-tetrahydrodeoxycorticosterone (3α5α-THDOC) enhance the GABA-mediated Cl- currents acting on a site (or sites) distinct from the GABA,

Neurosteroids and GABA-A Receptor Function
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3356040/

Thanks Lotus! Will need to process all this.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to live in California would you? Would be nice to chit-chat in person Big Grin

(30-08-2016, 10:33 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Reishi (a certain kind) is said to be a dual inhibitor like dutas (inhibits type I & II 5 alpha reductase).

I might need to start another thread, but I remember reading a long time ago about how lots of reishi supplements aren't processed in a way that will make them effective. And I noticed you didn't mention root, so just "reishi"? Are there are recommended brands/types that would be great for my situation?

Smile

(07-09-2016, 05:38 PM)rachel-rache Wrote:  
(30-08-2016, 10:33 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Reishi (a certain kind) is said to be a dual inhibitor like dutas (inhibits type I & II 5 alpha reductase).

I might need to start another thread, but I remember reading a long time ago about how lots of reishi supplements aren't processed in a way that will make them effective. And I noticed you didn't mention root, so just "reishi"? Are there are recommended brands/types that would be great for my situation?

Smile

I think you mean like Alcohol vs hot water extraction method?, google double extraction process of Reishi, though fermenting (a third process) needs to be considered with alcohol and hot water extraction. As far as I know Rieshi is a mushroom, unless I'm missing something (lol, like a new memo). So look for a reishi " extract " that includes the double extraction, picking a reishi product is difficult, I'd have to get back to you on that one. Rolleyes

Btw, if i ever make it back to Cali again RolleyesWink a chit-chat would be cool.

Thanks Lotus, I'll look out for the extraction methods if I am to buy reishi in the future Smile

Ya know, taking something that makes my brain stem tingle would send alarm bells loud enough to wake me from the dead. Jesus H Christ! Stop taking whatever you're taking. We all have introduced herbs, meds, whatnot into our systems. The first rule has and should always be, if it doesn't feel good and you are questioning your actions, STOP! Then do some research. I wish you luck. Be smart.

(09-09-2016, 06:31 AM)lilmikey Wrote:  Ya know, taking something that makes my brain stem tingle would send alarm bells loud enough to wake me from the dead. Jesus H Christ! Stop taking whatever you're taking. We all have introduced herbs, meds, whatnot into our systems. The first rule has and should always be, if it doesn't feel good and you are questioning your actions, STOP! Then do some research. I wish you luck. Be smart.

I agree! ! Could be a form of allergic reaction???

Thanks for your concern guys. It has since been mostly subsided. I think it's really just nipple sensitivity manifesting itself in a strange way. I know there are no nerve endings there for me to receive sensation like that, so it is more of an illusion kind of like how brain freeze isn't really your brain being too cold, but your stomach.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon