Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

latest effects on pm

Bryony,
Explore the world of ceoliac disease. I am convinced that most IBS, is really ceoliac disease and you have said enough, to set the light bulbs, in my head , aflame!

(08-10-2011, 10:17 PM)chrissie Wrote:  Bryony,
Explore the world of ceoliac disease. I am convinced that most IBS, is really ceoliac disease and you have said enough, to set the light bulbs, in my head , aflame!

Interesting... though if I did have it, it would be mild. According to Wiki (the fount of all knowledge :-) coeliac disease interferes with the absorption of carbohydrates leading to weight loss. I get IBS when I eat wholemeal bread / cereals, but I also gain pounds! I'll keep my fingers crossed! Anyhow, on my current high protein, medium fat, low carb diet, IBS isn't a problem, thankfully.

B.

I thought most IBS turned out to be depression. That made many people flee in the opposite direction. Sugar, to help make more serotonin. But of course, after the sugar high, things got worse.

(08-10-2011, 09:10 PM)bryony Wrote:  For the last two years my everyday meal is (sorry) a slab of meat (beef, chicken, pork, lamb, liver, fish) green peas and leafy vegetables.

I feel the healthiest I ever have in my life since I gave up needless carbs.

For non UK residents ( and those here who didn't see it) we have an occasional series on TV called " Supersizers go XXXX" where XXXX is Victorian, Edwardian, Tudor, 60's, 70's etc. A man and a woman start off with a health check and then spend a week eating and drinking only typical foodstuffs from whichever period, although it has to be said that for visual effect it tends to be upper class food. At the end of the week they get a second health check

The point of this ramble is that in general their health is worse at the end of the week. However a couple of weeks ago they did " WW2" with British wartime food rationing allowances, ingredients and portions. At the end of that week, not only had the guys weight dropped and improved his BM figure, but the woman's weight had actually increased slightly and also improved her BM. Both said they felt really fit and well.

(09-10-2011, 11:16 AM)Pansy-Mae Wrote:  
(08-10-2011, 09:10 PM)bryony Wrote:  For the last two years my everyday meal is (sorry) a slab of meat (beef, chicken, pork, lamb, liver, fish) green peas and leafy vegetables.

I feel the healthiest I ever have in my life since I gave up needless carbs.

For non UK residents ( and those here who didn't see it) we have an occasional series on TV called " Supersizers go XXXX" where XXXX is Victorian, Edwardian, Tudor, 60's, 70's etc. A man and a woman start off with a health check and then spend a week eating and drinking only typical foodstuffs from whichever period, although it has to be said that for visual effect it tends to be upper class food. At the end of the week they get a second health check

The point of this ramble is that in general their health is worse at the end of the week. However a couple of weeks ago they did " WW2" with British wartime food rationing allowances, ingredients and portions. At the end of that week, not only had the guys weight dropped and improved his BM figure, but the woman's weight had actually increased slightly and also improved her BM. Both said they felt really fit and well.

Right! In those days people couldn't over-eat and high sugar foods were unavailable, but there was generally a small amount of meat with every dinner. I take it the WW2 folk acted the part, so walked everywhere, or used public transport?

Bryony, I do bike or walk to and from work, and my vegetarian diet consists of a lot of carbs yes but they are 80-99% complex carbohydrates. I do however realize that my carb intake is too high for my lifestyle and that needs change but I am by no means one of those vegetarians who skim by as vegetarians by eating just junk food. I plan to notice some major changes soon though due to increased activity and carb cutting.

(09-10-2011, 11:40 AM)bryony Wrote:  ...I take it the WW2 folk acted the part, so walked everywhere, or used public transport?

Tbh, I doubt it Smile and in a 50 minute programme who can really tell? The programme is basically just about food, not a complete lifestyle, so anything shown outside of that is just padding for dramatic effect anyway.

The '40's diet was quite edible, if somewhat limited, but some of the muck that people ate in centuries gone by as haute cuisine, is positively disgusting in many ways, not least of which is quantity, and the amount of alcohol that was consumed is staggering - literally!

If you google " supersizers" you'll find loads of references to the series on BBC ( I should probably have said we've recently been watching re-runs from 2 or 3 years ago).

(09-10-2011, 12:30 PM)dargona Wrote:  Bryony, I do bike or walk to and from work, and my vegetarian diet consists of a lot of carbs yes but they are 80-99% complex carbohydrates. I do however realize that my carb intake is too high for my lifestyle and that needs change but I am by no means one of those vegetarians who skim by as vegetarians by eating just junk food. I plan to notice some major changes soon though due to increased activity and carb cutting.

Hi,

I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were eating junk food...
We are all different and some people (e.g. my wife) need vastly more carbs than I do. I was just making a general point that by and large we all tend to eat more carbs in our sedentary lifestyle than we should. Also, that some people (e.g. me) are carbohydrate sensitive. ( My body seems to be able to subsist on one potato a day! Big Grin )

It's not helped by the medical orthodoxy pushing carbs over protein either. Even complex carbs will get converted into fat if they contain more energy than is needed. The theory that works for me (it may not for you) is that you eat a reasonable amount of protein, some fat, and just enough carbohydrate to facilitate the conversion of any fat that you have stored in order to make up the energy deficit.

The difference between that and a calorie-controlled diet is that you are actually never really hungry, but you still lose weight, because, given the minimal amount of carbs that you ingest, your metabolism preferentially converts the fat in your body to energy rather than the fat that you eat.

The problem with calorie controlled diets are that they are based on keeping the number of calories consumed lower than your needs, which works, but only if you have the iron willpower to tolerate feeling hungry!

Anyhow, I found this reference if you are interested - I haven't looked at it thoroughly, but it might be helpful.

http://www.immuneweb.org/lowcarb/

TTFN

B.

Ceolic diseare destroys the vilaie, the tendrils, in the gut, that increae our ability, to absorb nurients. The cause is gluten, a protein, found on wheat, rye and barley; humans were never meant to eat grass The symptoms are wide ranging and wierd, from the runs to constipation; from excesive sneezng. to anaeimia, to osteo-perrosis, to rheumatod athreitis. etc etc etc! Oh happy days!

Thanks for the link. I started to go low-carb last night after reading your post: it was a long time coming anyways but I needed to be more mindful of it. I don't consider myself terribly unhealthy as is: I'm 5'10" @ 180lbs so I see myself as overweight. I'm hoping to drop ~20lbs and maintain NBE progress with attention to the amount of carbs I cut from my diet.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon