Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Drinking Green Tea vs. GTE

I probably drink a gallon of green tea a day.

Am I getting enough of the good stuff, or is GTE superior?

[moderator notice - unnecessary quoting removed]

Who knows for sure? The only thing certain is that both supplements and "natural" green tea aren't standardized the same way than medicines, so the effect may be variable and tolerances in strength wide.

However, in my opinion, supplements are a bit more predictable in their strength. But I can't claim that your approach is wrong, either!

-Teddy

Thanks, I just like the taste of green tea with a little ginseng and honey, and hopefully it's doing some good!

You should take vitamin C with your green tea. Otherwise you could be loosing 80% of the good stuff. I think this would apply to green tea extract also.

I posted this over at Project X

https://www.breastnexum.com/showthread.php?tid=17436&page=469

(15-03-2023, 02:05 PM)Cunningluvr Wrote:  I probably drink a gallon of green tea a day.

Am I getting enough of the good stuff, or is GTE superior?

Drink Grean Tea. Green Tea Extract over 200mg is not good for the body, as it triggers the liver to make your body stressed(the bad kind of stressed). If you go that route, only take 50mg.

Drink green tea or matcha with a squeeze of lime. Lime with green tea has been clinically shown to make the green tea more bioavailable. Green tea in just water is only 20 percent bioavailable, while squeezing a little lime or lemon sky rockets that to 70 percent!

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17688297/

I prefer matcha personally. I hate the taste of green tea so i drink it super quickly just to get it over with. But whatever you do, dont buy green tea of any form thats grown in China. Chinese green teas(actually anything grown or from china, including lions mane mushrooms) has been shown to have super hihg levels of toxic metals(mercury, lead, ect). Make sure you buy any green tea from Japan, and if you buy matcha and want to spend a little extra on good quality; buy ceremonial grade mathca, its finer and more "creamy" and doesnt have that bitter taste as much.

Twinnings has an excellent Green Tea with Jasmine.

Personally, I'd avoid green tea extracts. Some supplements are more likely to cause liver damage and GTE is one of them.

[moderator notice - unnecessary quoting removed]

EU has published last year some restrictions regarding green tea extracts containing (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate ( Annex III to Regulation (EC) No 1925/2006, 30.11.2022). The rule is "...levels of 800 mg or more per daily portion of food should be prohibited". It is easily found with Google.

I think this is a scientifically founded, safe and sensible maximum limit to reduce risk of liver damage when using supplement. (I have bought German-made capsules through Amazon, which are claimed to contain 375 mg of EGCG each, and taking actually one per day - but even with two capsules the daily amount would be OK according to the EU limit)

- Teddy

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon