Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Transgender Awareness Week

Each year between November 13 – 19, people and organizations around the country participate in Transgender Awareness Week to help increase understanding about transgender people and the issues members of the community face.

Trans Awareness Week takes place the week before Transgender Day of Remembrance on November 20. Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR), is an annual observance on November 20 that honors the memory of the transgender people whose lives were lost in acts of anti-transgender violence that year.

Transgender Awareness Week is a week when transgender people and their allies take action to bring attention to the trans community by educating the public about who transgender people are, sharing stories and experiences, and advancing advocacy around issues of prejudice, discrimination, and violence that affect the transgender community.

Check with a local transgender organization, LGBTQ Center, Gay-Straight Alliance or other support groups to find out if there are any events happening in your area.

For more resources to learn about transgender people, check out:

https://glaad.org/transgender/

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I wonder if this thread is such a trollbait as the Pride thread was... I really hope not. I find these really fun and important to make a little noise about. Heart

Well, I don't post anything as bait. That weirdo in my Happy Pride Thread was an ass. His previous postings seemed NBE curious, then I posted a Happy Pride Weekend and he turned into a monster.

I just like to celebrate the cause, fam!

This is a great website that is full of information about Transgender Q & A content in the UK.

https://www.stonewall.org.uk/the-truth-about-trans

As Transgender Awareness Week starts to draw to a close, it culminates with Transgender Day of Remembrance, which is recognized every year on Nov. 20.

The annual observances are focused on honoring transgender and non-binary individuals who have been killed.

Transgender Day of Remembrance is observed against the backdrop of record-breaking deadly violence against transgender and non-binary individuals, with transgender women of color often bearing the brunt of attacks.

The Human Rights Campaign, which tracks the death toll of trans individuals in America, has tallied more than two dozen cases of transgender individuals suffering violent deaths so far this year alone.

Last year ended with 41 known murders of transgender or gender non-conforming individuals in the country after a whopping 59 murders in 2021.

Transgender Day of Remembrance gives individuals the opportunity to grieve loved ones and share space with others who are paying tribute to lost community members with photos, candles, speeches, and more.

I encourage everyone to contact your local LGBT+ advocacy organizations to participate in your local Transgender Day of Remembrance.

This week, I've been reaching out to some friends who transitioned before me to thank them for being visible. I'm going to try to go to the TDOR march in my town en femme, if I have the courage for it.

I was in my usual total stealth today... This morning some random +50yo lady stopped chatting with me as she saw my dog being super extra cute fluffy funny one. She asked about his breed and we had a random chat that dog people often do. It was lovely. A total cis pass with flying colours once again and it cheered me up so much. Then later I ran a bit of errands and did shopping, one older dude gave me a dirty look, I couldn't really tell but it was unusual. Cashier was this pretty Russian girl who was all smiles and super nice with me, no one else paid much attention. I was treated as a woman.

Like it should be, right? Obviously yes. But if I was visibly trans, some would have been passive aggressive and grumpy af. This shallowness and the requirement for being stealth really pull my strings in a bad way. Rebel in me would want to go out as a flashy rainbow coloured sexy af christmas tree, ready to cause heart attacks to stiff upper lip boomer morons.... But then again, that would be a life of a strong woman, someone much stronger than I am, so I choose to be silent and keep my background in the shadows. Activism isn't my place, I don't feel like it, at least in my current life situation.

And totally hats off to all who go on loud and proud flying the colours every day. That's tough to pull off and not get beaten up every day somehow. Even in a safe country.

(16-11-2023, 10:40 PM)Carlana Wrote:  

This week, I've been reaching out to some friends who transitioned before me to thank them for being visible. I'm going to try to go to the TDOR march in my town en femme, if I have the courage for it.

I'm sure you'll be in like company and no one would bat an eye. The event should give you all the confidence you need. I wish I could join you.

(16-11-2023, 11:20 PM)HelloDiDi Wrote:  And totally hats off to all who go on loud and proud flying the colours every day. That's tough to pull off and not get beaten up every day somehow. Even in a safe country.

I've attended many Pride Parades in the past and covered several LGBT Film Festivals as a working photographer, it's just been several years since I've done either.

This year I'm just over all the trans-hate being purposely pushed for political divide. I'm like, "I'm not your pawn, motherfucker!" I'm just so over it all and I'm really eager to let my voice be heard.

I'm still in search of an event to attend, but I'm not finding one so far. The closest one in the nearest big city within driving distance so far looks to be a toned-down event that's not being publicized too much. I'll keep looking and if not now, maybe one day soon I'll find a place to share my voice.

Thank you

Heart

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon