Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Is there any danger from taking too much reishi?

It's been over 4 months so I thought I would update the thread with my results.

I've continued taking the ~4g/day as a tincture mixed in with my morning juice and have had no ill effects. 

I've had great results using the reishi as part of my very basic regimen: 6mg e2 sublingual + 4g reishi tincture daily. 
Note: I also sometimes add 200mg progesterone.

In addition to it's use as an anti-androgen the reishi tincture has helped with my hair growth. 

The reishi has also helped with my BPH. I used to take saw palmetto for it but that's no longer necessary.

I found a few precautions on WebMD: 
High doses of reishi mushroom might increase the risk of bleeding in some people with certain bleeding disorders.
Reishi mushroom might lower blood sugar levels.

I'm already taking a blood thinner (Xarelto) so it's difficult for me to tell if that part is true or not. I haven't noticed any symptoms from low blood sugar but it's not something I monitor. 

Conclusion: A high dose of reishi has worked out well for me but if you decide to try this I'd recommend starting with a lower dose and slowly work your way up.

I value your thorough response. I was intrigued to hear that reishi does grow in my Metro Atlanta County after my wife recently became interested in foraging. I currently regularly consume Reishi tea, thus I'm always interested in finding out more about healthy living. We've been growing our own veggies for the past six years, we started keeping chickens two years ago, and for the past six months, we've only been eating raw, organic, free-range, grass-fed meals. Now that I've shed 40 pounds, I feel better than I have in the past 25 years. So once more, thank you!

That's great. I love mushroom foraging and can't wait for this season to start. FYI: Reishis will start to bud late May early June but I usually wait until late June to harvest, I imagine it'll be earlier in your area. They'll grow a lot after the initial budding stage. Up here I find them growing on Hemlock stumps or fallen trees.

Quick addendum: I felt like the high reishi dose was working a little too well at reducing testosterone so I'm reducing my dose by 1/2. My libido has been low lately and I'm concerned the lack of T might be affecting my energy level. 

I'm 61 so I'm sure my age has a lot to do with it.

I appreciate your thoughtful response. After learning that reishi does indeed grow in my Metro Atlanta County, I was intrigued. My wife has recently developed an interest in foraging. I regularly drink Reishi tea, so I'm always curious to learn more about leading a healthy lifestyle. Since starting to raise chickens two years ago, we have been growing our own vegetables for the past six years, and for the past six months, we have only been consuming raw, organic, free-range, grass-fed meals. I feel better than I have in the last 25 years now that I've lost 40 pounds. I'd like to thank you once more.

(04-03-2023, 11:07 PM)aroundthebend Wrote:  Quick addendum: I felt like the high reishi dose was working a little too well at reducing testosterone so I'm reducing my dose by 1/2. My libido has been low lately and I'm concerned the lack of T might be affecting my energy level. 

I'm 61 so I'm sure my age has a lot to do with it.

hii i was wondering if you ever took a hormone test to see how effective reishi is in reducing DHT? or seen any other threads where someone did?

Do a keyword search on the Project-X thread.

I finally met with an endocrinologist and have some lab work to show...

Testosterone Total = 50ng/dL
Testosterone Free = 4.0pg/mL
Estradiol = 115pg/ml
Prolactin = 17.5ng/ml

As I mentioned before my regimen is 6mg estrogen buccal (between lips and gums) and ~12ml diy reishi tincture daily. 

The total testosterone is way low for males as expected but within range for females.

Here's a reference for those interested.

I asked the endo to test for DHT but he felt it wasn't necessary. Dodgy Oh well...Overall I'm quite happy with the numbers and the effect on my body, especially considering my age (62). 

I talked about cutting my reishi intake in half in my most recent post but I don't want to keep my T where it is so I'll keep it at 12ml/day.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon