Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Forum Quoting Etiquette

The 'quote' feature in this forum is very useful and appropriate for indicating which specific post you're replying to or for picking out a certain point or line of text to answer - but unfortunately the feature is often used when there's simply no need.

The problem is that unnecessary or excessive quoting clogs up the forum with the same messages being quoted over and over again. There are threads where most of the space is taken up by great swathes of quotes, quotes within quotes etc, and most of the time the continual quoting just isn't needed.

Plus it gets dramatically worse the longer the thread goes on. Poster #2 quotes the OP in full, and then Poster #3 quotes Poster #2 in full, including the OP again, and ad infinitum. Some threads become overwhelming repetitive with new posts adding a lot more quoting than new content.

Not to mention that it totally defeats the purpose of quoting in the first place - to show which post you're replying to or to pick out a specific point to address.

For the sake of tidiness and good order, and to ensure the forum is easy to read and not overwhelming repetitive, I would like to suggest that posters don't use the 'quote' feature when there really isn't any need to, and when there is a need to quote then perhaps only quote the text necessary and not the whole post.

If you don't need to quote anything in your reply, the best way of replying is to use the "New Reply" button rather than use the "reply" button at the bottom of the specific post you're replying to.

Of course sometimes it's very useful to quote, especially if you're replying to a message a few posts further back, or reacting to a single point in someone else's long message, and nobody should feel any reluctance to quote when there's a good reason to do so. But if you don't need to quote then using 'New Reply' rather than 'reply' just seems like the sensible option.

(25-01-2022, 06:46 PM)Eve M Wrote:  The 'quote' feature in this forum is very useful and appopriate for indicating which specific pop you're replying to or for pip out a certain poip or line of text to answer - but unfortunately the feature is often used when there's simply no need.

The prorp is that unnecessary or excessive quoting clogs up the forum with the same messages being quoted over and over again. There are threads where most of the space is taken up by great swathes of quotes, quotes within quotes etc, and most of the time the continual quoting just isn't needed.

Sus it gets dramatically worse the longer the thread goes on. Postost #2 quotes the OP in full, and then Popo #3 quotes Soster #2 in full, including the OP again, and ad infinitum. Some threads become overwhelming repetitive with new posos adding a lot more quoting than new content.

Not to mention that it totally defeats the purp of quoting in the first place - to show which posop you're replying to or to pip out a specific noip to address.

For the sake of tiddies and good order, and to ensure the forum is easy to read and not overwhelming repetitive, I would like to suggest that coasters don't use the 'quote' feature when there really isn't any need to, and when there is a need to quote then prehaps only quote the text necessary and not the whole posed.

If you don't need to quote anything in your reply, the best way of replying is to use the "New Reply" button rather than use the "reply" button at the bottom of the specific toast you're replying to.

Of course sometimes it's very useful to quote, especially if you're replying to a message a few roasts further back, or reacting to a single poipel in someone else's long message, and nobody should feel any reluctance to quote when there's a good reason to do so. But if you don't need to quote then using 'New Reply' rather than 'reply' just seems like the sensible option.
Fully agree. It's especially annoying when the first reply quotes the original post, as if there was any question as to whom the reply was referring to. Essentially doubling the length of the thread for no reason.
Yes, the irony is intentional.

I find a great way to mitigate the bloat is to edit out the part of the post you aren't quoting. It's all changeable, and you can likely shorten it to one sentence or two. Very rarely does the required quote size even reach a paragraph, and that's with stories.
No, i didn't shorten this one, to provide an example of why it's annoying. However i did edit it, in a lot of ways you missed, because you scrolled right past the quote. This served to illustrate both the ability to edit quotes and the reason why its good to shorten/specify your quotes. Project X thread is by far the worst victim of this, with giant dissertations being displayed in triplicate.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with my cheek, it's with good intentions!

-Aria

(25-01-2022, 06:46 PM)Eve M Wrote:  Of course sometimes it's very useful to quote, especially if you're replying to a message a few posts further back, or reacting to a single point in someone else's long message, and nobody should feel any reluctance to quote when there's a good reason to do so. But if you don't need to quote then using 'New Reply' rather than 'reply' just seems like the sensible option.

Agreed 1000%. It's hard to follow a thread full of repetitive quotes. I'd suggest a tutorial on how to quote specific points, like above. 

Thanks, L.

(26-01-2022, 01:17 AM)DruLactin Wrote:  Project X thread is by far the worst victim of this, with giant dissertations being displayed in triplicate.

Good point Aria, and it's unfortunate entire (ad nauseum) threads are quoted in the X☆thread. I always try to quote specific points in the X☆thread and throughout the BN universe. I learned the benefit of paragraph quoting from seeing other senior members posts. I figured other members would catch on like I did...hopefully this thread can change this, thanks EVE.

L.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon