Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

How bad is Androcur (Cyproterone Acetate)

I have been using herbs for almost 5 years. I admit the results were not great but nevertheless they were there. I've got tired of taking 14 pills in the morning and another 14 in the evening, also a bit afraid of the impact on the liver. Anyway, a couple of months ago, I decided to take the big jump and explore synthetic hormones. I was really interested to find an AA that would neutralize my testosterone but at a low dosage and that would be compatible with the medication I am taking to fight High Blood pressure. After doing some homework (obviously not enough), I excluded Spiro right away and after reading an article on low dose of Androcur, I said that's it, here is my long term solution. With low dosage, the risks will be minimized, so no need to worry.

Si I ordered some Androcur from Europe (4 packs, 50 pills - 50 mg). Because the expiration date is in 2025, I ordered another 4. I've received my first 4 and I am wainting for the second batch. My plan was clear, the 8 packs will cover my needs for the next 5 years (1/4 pill or 12.5 mg per day). Even though the cost was very high ($US 100 a pack), the option is cheaper than White Peony. Androcur costs $0.5 per day (1/4 pill or 12.5 mg per day) while Peony Immune costs $2 per day (4 caps per day- $30 for 60 caps).

I've started taking Androcur (almost 2 weeks now). Working like a charm, no side effect. I feel that my testosterone is getting under control so everything should be perfect but... Yesterday, I saw this very recent article (2020) highlighting the dangers of Androcur and stating that it should not be administered to older people (over 50). I am over 50, I had some success with herbs but still decided to go a little bit further with synthetic hormones while hoping to minimize the risks. However, after reading this article, I am really wondering if I am not playing Russian roulette. I am going to drop Androcur and live with a financial loss (close to $800) than risk loosing everything. 

I am new to synthetic hormones and do not know much about the subject besides some superficial readings. So, I do not know if the article is too alarmist or if there are good reasons to be scared. 

Any thoughts. 

Thanks.

Recent Developments on Cyproterone Acetate and Meningioma Risk Out of France and Implications for Transfeminine People | Transfeminine Science (transfemscience.org)

Big Grin 

The dosage they have in the test is very high and meant for other prescription and conditions. For me, I am only prescribed 25 mg twice a week, ie I take half a tablet every 3 days.. And my T already dropped to zero. The challenge for you is you are self medicating with no clue on the dosage you need.
Do a test on your T. You might not need so much CPA
CPA is great for me. Low cost. Effective. No need to keep peeing.

(01-12-2020, 05:27 AM)mimzy Wrote:  The dosage they have in the test is very high and meant for other prescription and conditions. For me, I am only prescribed 25 mg twice a week, ie I take half a tablet every 3 days.. And my T already dropped to zero. The challenge for you is you are self medicating with no clue on the dosage you need.
Do a test on your T. You might not need so much CPA
CPA is great for me. Low cost. Effective. No need to keep peeing.

Agreed. Self medicating with this stuff is not very wise.

True. The study dealt with very high dosage taken on long periods, but what bothers me, is the author's strong advice against the use of Androcur by people over 50. Even though, it is just the author own deduction, the French study clearly shows that the risk is age dependent.

I am taking 12.5 mg per day while you are taking the equivalent of 8.3 mg per day. I could go to 12.5 mg every second day (6.25 mg/day) but still... I am over 50, not sure if 6.25 mg/day or even half of that would be without serious risks. Besides I am not transitioning or something close, my objective is quite modest (and I am getting close to it) so I am not sure if it is worth the risks.

I think  I will quit Androcur, get rid of the quantities I bought, close this chapter and go back to my old regimen (PM and White Peony).

Thanks for your input.

Hi,

I have decided to live on the edge and finish the open Androcur box. I am taking 1/4 pill every second day (equivalent to 6.25 mg per day). I never felt so serene before. My T is probably close to 0, just with 6.25 mg per day!  Plus, it is very quiet down there, no erection what so ever. I even have the feeling that my urge for dressing, although still present, is much milder.

Because of all these calming effects, I will talk to my doctor and ask for a prescription for an Anti-androgen either Bicalumide or even Spiro (in that case I will have to change my H. blood pressure medication). However, it is no going to be done tomorrow because my open box of Androcur (50 x50mg) will last 400 days @ 6.25 mg per day!

(08-12-2020, 07:50 PM)Elsa Wrote:  

Hi,

I have decided to live on the edge and finish the open Androcur box. I am taking 1/4 pill every second day (equivalent to 6.25 mg per day). I never felt so serene before. My T is probably close to 0, just with 6.25 mg per day!  Plus, it is very quiet down there, no erection what so ever. I even have the feeling that my urge for dressing, although still present, is much milder.

Because of all these calming effects, I will talk to my doctor and ask for a prescription for an Anti-androgen either Bicalumide or even Spiro (in that case I will have to change my H. blood pressure medication). However, it is no going to be done tomorrow because my open box of Androcur (50 x50mg) will last 400 days @ 6.25 mg per day!

I’d also take a look at higher dose Finasteride. Its as effective as Spiro or Bicalumide, with many fewer side effects.

Also, be careful focusing just on serum T levels when gauging the effectiveness of an AA - many won’t have much an effect on serum T as they don’t directly inhibit production, even as they’re quite effective as a T receptor antagonist. Finasteride has been shown to actually increase circulating serum T levels by 10-50% because so little T is being metabolized.

Good luck!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon