Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Supplements and Flu prevention

Hi Everybody.  Been a long time!

As for many of us life has a way of getting in the way.  But I have been busy, and for the last few years have been getting serious with my research with fixing health naturally.  Would be nice to hear from any of the old crowd who may be still about?[Image: smile.gif]

I was asked to put together a minimal set of supplements for health support for unusual times.  For example.  If circumstances change and it becomes difficult to get supplements, these are what you may want to stockpile.  And these will also make for a good set of essentials to go into your emergency bag.  Please note, this list is not meant as a complete description of nutrition requirements.  It does assume an already established regime of supplementation and detox protocol tailored to your particular needs.  Get yourself in a strong a condition while it is still relatively easy, and build up your reserves!  The idea of this list is for 'emergencies'.   I have also tried to take into account cost and practicality.             

Magnesium.
The best compromise between cost and bioavailability I have found so far is Magnesium Orotate.   
Magnesium is arguably the most used mineral in our body.  Last count I heard was over 700 different processes.  Basically, you NEED it, and you need to keep topping up as the body doesn't make it.  And as your stress levels and activity increases, you will positively burn through it.  Dosage is entirely personal, but it is safe to assume that at difficult times you will need to substantially increase your intake.

Vit C.
In the form of Ascorbic acid, or Calcium Ascorbate if your tum is particularly sensitive. 
This is one of your heavy lifters!  If you do not have enough Vit C in your system the effectiveness of almost all other vitamins is reduced or even stopped.  Your baseline dose is entirely personal.  Find out what is good for you.  However, in high stress situations and where the possibility of picking up an infection is increased you should consider ramping up your intake.

Vitamin D3, K2 and Fish oil. 
These should be considered a set, they need each other to work properly.  D3 is your workhorse here.  So very many things it does!  Including that if you have high enough levels of D3 in your system it is extremely difficult to catch colds and flu. In fact, any infection.

Vit E and Vit A.
Very effective for support of the blood and circulatory system, and can be highly protective especially when under stress.  Vit A is particularly good in supporting the nervous system and eyes.

Vit B's.
A really good quality B Complex (not a cheapy off Ebay) is protective for multiple systems, including improving cognition and emotion control.  Further supplementation with B3 (Niacin) B6 and B12 is suggested.  B3 helps keep your blood clean and boost your nervous system and circulatory system, and in combination with B12 will help boost energy and stamina.             

Iodine.
In the form of Lugols Iodine.
Although important, this is somewhat optional for including in your emergency bag as it needs to be diluted which may not always be practical, and it can make a right mess should it leak out!  It is also cumulative, so hopefully in you normal regime you are already keeping your Iodine levels up which will hold you in good stead for some time.  However, if there is even the slightest chance of radioactive contamination (it happens) Iodine is the go-too for protection! 

Infection.
With all the headlines over Wuhan Flu/Coronavirus flying around lately, it seems be wise to at least consider a response.  Not going to go into all the conspiracies flying around out there, of which there are many, especially as there is actually little accurate information available at the moment.  At the time of writing I suspect we will not have too much of an issue in the UK?  BUT it would be foolish not to take reasonable precautions. 

For the majority of people, flu, even Wuhan flu should not really be too much of a problem.  It's those who have poor nutrition, a low immune system, impaired health or old age who are at greater risk.  Hence the need to take care of our health while we can. 

Please remember we are dealing with infections and viruses all the time.  The reason we don't notice them is because we have an amazingly designed immune system.  So to put it simply, strong immune system = no infections.  However, none of us are in perfect health so even with the best of efforts we should not consider ourselves immune.  Occasionally one of these 'orrible little blighters might sneak though.

Infection protocol.

Hygiene.
Reasonable precautions go a very long way.  But spraying everything with toxic chemicals in the hope of killing stuff may not be wise.  As these chemicals come with their own hazards and can actually damage our immune system (so somewhat counter productive).  There are times this can be the right option, but use sensibly and with moderation. 
UV light is a very effective anti-bacterial/microbial.  Quick and easy to use and no toxic residue.
Colloidal Silver is a very effective sanitizer.  Very cheap and easy to make yourself, and with unlimited quantities available no need to skimp.  Ideal for cleaning surfaces and a great hand/face wash.  And unlike commercial sanitizers there are no nasty chemicals, which with repeated use will damage the skin and actually help the passage of pathogens into us.  But... Colloidal Silver should not be used internally, and it must be remembered that while it works exceptionally well when it comes into contact with any microbes, once it has dried off it has done its job.  As is the case with almost all the antibacterials, there is no long term protection.  Re-application is necessary.    

Vit C. At the first sign of an infection (imagined or real) increase your intake of Vit C.  If symptoms don't go quickly, increase up to (but not beyond) the point of bowel tolerance (rumbly tummy).  For example, an experience I personally know of was someone had a properly bad dose of flu.  He took 4 grams ever half hour until the first signs of bowel tolerance which he than eased off to 3 grams until all symptoms had gone.  It took him a day and a half.  Another experience was of a Doctor (so he knew what he was doing) who managed to get full blown pneumonia!  He took 2 grams every 10 minutes.  He cleared it in a day.  I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU DO THIS, as we are all different.  But it should also be remembered that Vit C does not have a top dosage, the body will simply get rid of what it does not need.         

D3.  Is extremely powerful for immune system support.  Reality is, we are likely all deficient in this very important vitamin, so regular supplementation should be considered (unless tests indicate otherwise).  If it becomes evident that you really have caught the flu, temporarily increase Vit D to around 30,000iu.  If you are of more generous proportion perhaps up to 40,000iu?  At the first sign of the infection breaking, take your dosage back to your baseline.

Heat.  Although running a temperature is most uncomfortable, it should be remembered that viruses cannot tolerate temperatures over 104 degrees.  They will either die or are severely weakened and the immune system can then mop them up.  So running a fever is the body's way of naturally dealing with these bugs.  Just wrap up, take plenty of water and extra minerals.  A pinch of Celtic Sea Salt in a glass of water can be a simple way to re-mineralise.  Sauna is also very effective, especially Infra Red.      

Pneumonia.
It should be noted that during the Spanish Flu of the 1920's it wasn't so much the flu that caused the most problems it was that it turned into pneumonia.  The above suggestions should stop an infection before it ever gets this far.  However, on rare occasions 'stuff happens'.  If even with high dose Vit C and Vit D pneumonia is still developing, increase you intake of Vit B6 and B12.  

Cytokine Storm.
This is would be a most extreme and rare possibility, but foreknowledge is forearmed and never wasted.  This primarily affects those who have a very strong immune system (young adults).  Basically, what happens is that the virus stimulates an over reaction of the immune system.  So instead of a moderate increase in the levels of mucus in the lungs to catch the virus so the body can deal with it, which is the normal reaction.  A gross over reaction is initiated and instead of a small elevation of mucus in the lungs, the immune system goes into a cascade reaction and doesn't know when to stop.  And basically the lungs fill up.   

Vit B6, liquid/sublingual.
Ok, that's the scary part.  The response is actually very simple.  To start with, the elevated use of the vits already suggested will massively reduce the chance of this reaction in the first place.  However, if someone is really in the grip of full blown pneumonia and they suddenly take a turn for the worse, the chest goes tight and they start coughing up increased mucus, this may be the start of a Cytokine Storm.  Taking high dose fast acting Vit B6 liquid, even better by sublingual application.  Should stop it dead in it's tracks.  If a cell has sufficient B6 it will completely inhibit a Cytokine Storm reaction.  High dose Vit B6 has also been proven as an effective response to other over active immune system diseases.                     

Realise there is a lot to take in here.  If you have any questions I will do my best to answer.  I am an engineer not a doctor, but what I have presented here is the culmination of a lot of research and my own experience.  But you may also find a little personal research beneficial?  So it will not just me saying this you will hear it from the experts too.

Oh, and please be VERY cautious over any vaccines that have been rushed through development.  At the very least ask what has been put in there and understand what effect these ingredients will have on you.  Things are not always what they seem.

If you feel others may be able to benefit from receiving this, please feel free to pass it on.    

Big hugs all round[Image: biggrin.gif]

Huggy

Hi Huggy!
Welcome back.
Nice write up! Lots of good info.
Huggs
Bobbi

(08-02-2020, 09:20 PM)Happyme Wrote:  Hi Huggy!
Welcome back.
Nice write up! Lots of good info.
Huggs
Bobbi

Hi Bobbi

Will admit I have missed everybody.  Hope you are well?

There is a lot crammed in there, hope it makes sense?  We need to look after our health and have a feeling this year all the more so.

Gotta take care of each other huh?

Huggs[Image: smile.gif]

One thing to consider in the arsenal is Oleuropein from Olive Leaf Extract.

This stuff is deadly to just about every nasty one can think of (and think of the very worst things out there), but in a test tube.

There have been attempts to patent this stuff but they couldn't quite nail things down.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002804/

Scroll down to the sections on Antimicrobial and Antiviral activity that touch on Staphylococcus, Salmonella, Bacillus, pneumoniae, Ecoli, mono, hepatitus, rotovirus, rhinovirus, influenza, HIV, etc.

Also, see here where it is mentioned in connection with Coronavirus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2790717/

It's not a magic bullet, but there's tons of research on its potential.

My understanding from prior research on this subject is that, in layman's terms, it somehow "rips the jackets off" (compromises membrane integrity)  the cells of the invaders so they simply fall apart.

Olive trees go back as far as 40 million years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive) and it's possible they have evolved to fight off things detrimental to their survival, and in turn, provide a potentially leverageable benefit (even if not perfected as yet).

Interestingly, Miltefosine, which has been used successfully to treat Naegleria fowleri (brain eating amoeba), seems to work by a similar action: Miltefosine exerts its activity by interacting with lipids, inhibiting cytochrome c oxidase and causing apoptosis-like cell death.[22] This may affect membrane integrity and mitochondrial function of the parasite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miltefosine

It also appears to share a similar laundry list of baddies it may be impactful against.

My own curiosity in this is particularly focused on "mechanism of action." 

(09-02-2020, 06:24 PM)VergeOfDiscovery Wrote:  One thing to consider in the arsenal is Oleuropein from Olive Leaf Extract.

This stuff is deadly to just about every nasty one can think of (and think of the very worst things out there), but in a test tube.

There have been attempts to patent this stuff but they couldn't quite nail things down.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002804/

Scroll down to the sections on Antimicrobial and Antiviral activity that touch on Staphylococcus, Salmonella, Bacillus, pneumoniae, Ecoli, mono, hepatitus, rotovirus, rhinovirus, influenza, HIV, etc.

Also, see here where it is mentioned in connection with Coronavirus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2790717/

It's not a magic bullet, but there's tons of research on its potential.

My understanding from prior research on this subject is that, in layman's terms, it somehow "rips the jackets off" (compromises membrane integrity)  the cells of the invaders so they simply fall apart.

Olive trees go back as far as 40 million years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive) and it's possible they have evolved to fight off things detrimental to their survival, and in turn, provide a potentially leverageable benefit (even if not perfected as yet).

Interestingly, Miltefosine, which has been used successfully to treat Naegleria fowleri (brain eating amoeba), seems to work by a similar action: Miltefosine exerts its activity by interacting with lipids, inhibiting cytochrome c oxidase and causing apoptosis-like cell death.[22] This may affect membrane integrity and mitochondrial function of the parasite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miltefosine

It also appears to share a similar laundry list of baddies it may be impactful against.

My own curiosity in this is particularly focused on "mechanism of action." 

Hiya

Very interesting post.  I have been aware that Olive Leaf can be useful for many things.  The info you have presented is definitely worth looking into.  Thanks. Really good to get the conversation started.[Image: smile.gif]

Only thing is, I have also found that with these more powerful compounds care needs to be taken regarding unintended consequences.  One of the problems I have come across is where when using heavy duty supps to whack the bad guys, they tend not to be particularly discriminatory and will whack everything they come in contact with.  Which considering the majority of our immune system is directly or indirectly controlled by our gut flora we can end up by causing unintended long term problems.   I can attest to this personally.

This is one reason why antibiotics can be so damaging.  If you can get the right antibiotic the kill the infection it can save a life.  So not against antibiotics.  But taking them is like running napalm through our gut.  And it can be a nightmare to undo the damage.  And in the meantime, with a compromised immune system you become vulnerable to whatever might be going out there. 

Huggs

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon