Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Experience with spironolactone

I went to the doctor for my physical on Monday. He wants to change my blood pressure medicines because the ones he has me on aren't getting the job done.  As he was explaining the different drugs he could use, I asked him, "Do any of them have gynecomastia as a known side effect?" He chuckled and said "Why, do you want to grow boobs?", and I just looked at him and said, "Yep. But what I really want is plausible deniability." I want something to blame it on if/when my boobs start coming in.

One of the medicines he could use is spironolactone, which I remember seeing discussed here to suppress the effects of testosterone. But he really doesn't want to put me on that because he's afraid it might raise my potassium levels, which can cause heart problems.  I'm really not understanding why he's concerned.  First, my potassium levels are right where they should be.  Second, I consume less than the minimum daily recommendation of potassium.  Third, as I read the literature (and far be it from me to challenge my doctor on interpreting medical literature, but nevertheless), spironolactone will avoid lowering potassium (unlike other diuretics), but I don't see where it will raise it.

So my question is, does anyone have any experience taking sprionolactone, and have you seen any side effects on your blood chemistry (other than growing boobs - one study said 13% of male patients experienced gynecomastia!)?  He'll leave the choice up to me, and I'm inclined to go with it, but I'm a little worried.

I wrote a long reply, then my phone reset.

Here is the condensed version..

Typically HRT spiro is @ 200mg, used for blood pressure is normally only 50mg.

Spiro is a potassium sparing drug, ( IE: It stops it getting flushed out ) over time it can compound and push your levels high. 

I was on 100mg, i monitored my potassium levels every 3 months, and made sure my potassium intake was low. I never had an issue.

Spiro can cause gynecomastia, but typically is just fat, not actual breast growth. Spyro is also known to block estrogenic effects, that's why its a shitty drug for HRT meds.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon