Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Shedding scalp hair for two months now - WTF??

After two years on FG/Red Clover followed by a switch to Reishi and low dose PM for about 7 months, I've found a dramatic increase in the number of hairs in the bathtub drain. I'm middle-aged and have been using topical minoxidil for decades. I've had a frontal recession and a small thin area on the crown of my head, but I'm not bald, just thinning/receding.

Herbs have brought about some thickening and regrowth and I thought I was on the right track, but I'm losing about 100 "telogen" hairs every time I shower (these are "shed" hairs with a tiny bulb on the end). My bald area seems much larger but I don't have comparison photos. It has to be, considering the amount of hairs that have fallen out.

I have an annually physical exam scheduled and plan on requesting a DHT test (and possibly other hormones??) and also plan on following up with a dermatologist, but I'm freaking out a little. Like "when will this freaking stop!??!??!!"

One very interesting thing is this: I've been growing my hair long - it has gone from a short two inches to about 4 inches over the past 9 months, but the hairs that are shedding are short - maybe two and a half inches.

I'm hoping that this is a temporary shed that means that a new, bigger, better anagen (growing) phase is going to begin, but TWO MONTHS AND COUNTING??

I guess that the upside is that I can probably get a prescription for finasteride.

Thoughts? I really need some advice here.
Thanks.

Biotin helps hair growth, I do believe.

Biotin like the 2500 m gummies at walgreens 2 a day and look into keratin too. Do you know if you have excess DHT? Maybe T is still converting or even made worse from the herbs to the DHT form. sorry to hear this Sad

(12-09-2019, 10:45 PM)happyboobs Wrote:  Biotin like the 2500 m gummies at walgreens 2 a day and look into keratin too. Do you know if you have excess DHT? Maybe T is still converting or even made worse from the herbs to the DHT form. sorry to hear this Sad

As I mentioned, I'm hoping to have my DHT levels tested asap. I'm going to ask the dermatologist what other tests he'd like.

I've been taking Reishi Mushroom all along, with the intention of blocking DHT. I don't have "before" levels of DHT, so I can't look at that data point, unfortunately.

I'll pick up some biotin. Thanks.

Supposedly RR stops DHT. Although I do not remember the brand of Red Reishi Mushroom that Lotus recommends, it was a raw ground powder. Just one step away from being a living plant. That’s about as fresh as you can get. Good Luck.

Well, a couple of months on Finasteride, plus biotin daily, as well as scalp massage and topical Minoxidil and a 500mg PM every couple/few days and I have less shedding, thicker hair and significant regrowth in my frontal recession areas and my vertex area. Examination of the front sides shows lots of new hairs sprouting. Amazing. Problem is, my boobs are growing, which is both good and bad.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon