Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Bad Reaction, Your Thoughts?

Hi all, 

I recently decided to try pueraria and see if adding a potent phytoestrogen to my program of herbs would increase physical feminization.  I had a bad reaction and wanted to post it here to both see if anyone else experienced anything similar, as well as to have others looking to try pueraria for ther first time to possibly be aware. 

So, when i researched pueraria,  i discovered that there were some medical studies conducted concerning its safety, and in those studies it was determined safe at about 25 to 100mg. On reading here at breast nexum and a few other sites i found that some people were taking upwards of 1000mg to 3000mg! That's incredible. My experience with herbs is that they can be very potent and lethal, not something to play with.  My mentality with all supplements, medications etc. Is research, never do anything that the information you have says not to, start small and slow and listen to your body.  Thus, to ME ( and every one mentally and physically is different, so im not saying anyone here is doing anything wrong or trying to be rude ) but to ME i believed that all information i could find said that if i went above the 100mg territory of pueraria, i would be dosing outside of what was scientifically studied to be safe. 
That being said, i decided to research brands.  Many brands have alot of red flags to me. Many seem to have mispellings on packaging, or look like companies who you could not verify the legitimacy of their practices.  They could be coming from someones back yard in china, who knows. This is a big deal to me.
So, i ordered barlowes 550mg pueraria from amazon.  Pueraria was just one of their products. They seemed like a good company with sound practices, etc. Their product was tested for heavy metals and claimed purity.

So, although i said it was my belief that starting at 100mg would be the most prudent choice, given the information i had, their bottle instructed users to take 1 to 2 capsules per day.  So, the logic i used was that many males wanting breasts take up to 3000mg, and this bottle says to use at least one serving of 550mg. It didn't seem like a gigantic leap to take one capsule per day. 

Day 1: around 10am i opened a capsule and poured it into a Gatorade.  This way i could slowly sip it and gradually monitor any effects my body had. Didnt particularly notice anything.

Day 2: same time, same method.  Then around 5pm that day i felt tightness around my heart area randomly.

Day 3: same time,  same method. Throughout day i felt same heart soreness ( hard to describe )
Around 6pm i ate dinner, after dinner i started passing alot of gas and immediately got insane intestinal pains. For the next 24 to 36 hours i had intestinal soreness, constipation issues and the soreness and random pains in my heart. I felt out of it almost, like almost out of body experience,  that while laying down i could float out. Ive only felt that on two other occasions and one was when i was very close to heat exhaustion at work. 

Anyhow, while taking pueraria those days i was also taking:
500mg reishi and 400mg spearmint once in the morning and then both again in the evening ( 1000mg reishi and 800 spearmint total daily )

I also have a few other supplements that i use sparingly but I've used them all for so long that i can without a doubt say pueraria was the only new variable.

Its been a few days now and im feeling better.  Anyone had similar experience?

I don't know about the opening it up a capsule of PM and pouring it into Gatorade.

First off, Gatorade is not something you should drink unless you are actually playing sports. It has a lot of potassium for one thing and other than that a lot of sugar. I don't know if Spearmint or Reishi increase the potassium levels like pharma anti-androgens like Spiro, but too much potassium vs sodium is a common problem for people taking Spiro. It's become a silly meme, but trans women often eat a lot of pickles to increase sodium levels.

Also, I found Barlowe's PM to be much stronger than the other brand I've taken, Ainterol. It didn't cause those issues for me just seemed to make me very sleepy when I first tried it.

Even though PM was "the only new variable", trying it while already using a bunch of other supplements might have been a bit much for one's system.

If your gut is telling you that "100mg would be the most prudent choice",  note that there are some major branded supplements out there that contain Puresterol (Pueraria mirifica Root Extract) at 100 mg, but these often also contain other (perhaps unwanted) supplements.

I like Barlowe's product offerings overall and appreciate how for their PM product they clearly state: "NOTE: Pueraria Mirifica is a potent source of several estrogen-like substances. Care should be taken when taking this product. It is not a placebo!"

(06-04-2019, 07:25 PM)PaulaJ Wrote:  I don't know about the opening it up a capsule of PM and pouring it into Gatorade.

First off, Gatorade is not something you should drink unless you are actually playing sports. It has a lot of potassium for one thing and other than that a lot of sugar. I don't know if Spearmint or Reishi increase the potassium levels like pharma anti-androgens like Spiro, but too much potassium vs sodium is a common problem for people taking Spiro. It's become a silly meme, but trans women often eat a lot of pickles to increase sodium levels.

Also, I found Barlowe's PM to be much stronger than the other brand I've taken, Ainterol. It didn't cause those issues for me just seemed to make me very sleepy when I first tried it.

You know, i hadnt considered that Gatorade might not have been the best choice. I was only trying to mix it in any fluid i had on hand, which ended up being that.  But i agree with you, Gatorade basically is just sugar water lol.

That's very relevant information about sodium and potassium, which i did not know about. I don't think ill be trying pueraria again, at least not anytime soon. But that info is still relevant to me and i had never heard that before.  Thanks.  

Lastly, the consensus i reached on barlowes, based on alot of reviews and mentions in various places online, supported again by you, was that it was good potent stuff.  Most people claim one 550mg capsule a day to feel similar to another brands 1000mg a day. 

To me, that made sense.  Barlowes seems like a legitimate herbal company who cares about quality product.  I even got a free sample of some type of pollen with my purchase. I am convinced my reaction was due to my body's natural incompatibility to pueraria, or possibly an unknown interaction with something else i was taking, but i am nearly totally sure that barlowes is a decent product and it was no fault of theirs.

(07-04-2019, 01:43 AM)VergeOfDiscovery Wrote:  Even though PM was "the only new variable", trying it while already using a bunch of other supplements might have been a bit much for one's system.

If your gut is telling you that "100mg would be the most prudent choice",  note that there are some major branded supplements out there that contain Puresterol (Pueraria mirifica Root Extract) at 100 mg, but these often also contain other (perhaps unwanted) supplements.

I like Barlowe's product offerings overall and appreciate how for their PM product they clearly state: "NOTE: Pueraria Mirifica is a potent source of several estrogen-like substances. Care should be taken when taking this product. It is not a placebo!"

Lol, yeah those warnings on their website merely wetted my appetite to be honest.  :p

I would like to think that i am not at my herbal supplement limit, but you never know, and your comment is one i find worth pondering. 

We have to monitor our bodies as closely on herbs, if not more so, than when on pharma. 

I have been taking reishi for about a year now, though I've alternated between alcohol tincture and powdered extract.  I pretty much am familiar with all effects and sensing it within my body.  Spearmint ive only taken perhaps 2 months now. So, its worth giving thought. 

Ive thought about pueraria extracts as well.

My experience with reishi is a bit lengthy, but essentially its related.  The triterpenoids are what give reishi its most antiandrogenic effect, and they can mostly only best be extracted by ethanol. While my reishi capsules claim to be doubly extracted ( water and alcohol ) and ther company claims a percentage of triterpenoid on their product, i find that another brands alcohol tincture supplement of reishi to give me much more noticeable effects leaning towards antiandrogenics. Also, i think it's easier on my body. I imagine it like this, one supplement, the capsules, contain an entire threshold of ther mushroom that my body must process, the other supplement is an extract, mostly containing active ingredients to be processed, ommiting all the rest of the plant, possibly ( im no chemist, doctor or mycologist! )

So, ive wondered if the same thing would pertain to pueraria? Maybe its not great to consume the entire plant, maybe an extract of its actives would be easier, less extra plant material to process.  Hence my reaction.  

I don't know, im in no rush to try again, but i like to consider possibilities and try to learn from my experiences. 

Edit: meant to ask you, have you tried extract pueraria? Whats your thoughts there?

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon