Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Interesting Photo Spread from 1950s Paris

https://designyoutrust.com/2019/03/les-a...the-1950s/

(03-04-2019, 10:14 PM)spanky Wrote:  https://designyoutrust.com/2019/03/les-a...the-1950s/

Very interesting indeed. And some are gorgeous. Makeup is quite severe, like it was in the 50's. Love it!

(03-04-2019, 10:14 PM)spanky Wrote:  https://designyoutrust.com/2019/03/les-a...the-1950s/

Sometimes I wish in had been born earlier than the late 50's, so I could have lived in this beautiful era, other times I wish I had been born around 1995, so that the internet would have been around as I was reaching puberty, and i would have learned I had options.?

(06-04-2019, 03:46 AM)Jessica4581000 Wrote:  

Sometimes I wish in had been born earlier than the late 50's, so I could have lived in this beautiful era, other times I wish I had been born around 1995, so that the internet would have been around as I was reaching puberty, and i would have learned I had options.?

OMG same here. I often wonder how I would have turned out had I been born later too (instead of 69) and exposed to the options available on the Internet. I am almost 100% sure that I would have had surgery early on and transformed fully at a young age. My parents certainly had the money to pay for a transition and as it was they were both very enlightened people, so it wouldn't have been a problem for them. I mean I knew I was different from a very early age, but felt forced to be ME only in secret. It was the way it was then, the times (and town) we were living in.

(06-04-2019, 07:50 AM)Beverley50 Wrote:  
(06-04-2019, 03:46 AM)Jessica4581000 Wrote:  

OMG same here. I often wonder how I would have turned out had I been born later too (instead of 69) and exposed to the options available on the Internet. I am almost 100% sure that I would have had surgery early on and transformed fully at a young age. My parents certainly had the money to pay for a transition and as it was they were both very enlightened people, so it wouldn't have been a problem for them. I mean I knew I was different from a very early age, but felt forced to be ME only in secret. It was the way it was then, the times (and town) we were living in.

My parents are pretty conservative, so I'm pretty sure it would be an issue for them  had Jessica came out while I was still under their roof. But had I known that I had options, I certainly could have saved up to meet my goal

As interesting as this photo-spread is, it’s easy to forget what time they lived in. 

Homosexuality was illegal in lots of places in the US. The stonewall riots were still 10 years away, and the Upstairs Lounge Arson Attack that killed 32 in New Orleans was 15 years away from when these photos were taken. Lou Reed was inviting people to take a walk on the wild side, was shocking for it’s day in 1972. I guess my point is ... even as alluring as these photos are, the photographer did a hell of a job, these models lived in tiny pockets within a few select cities. Mere homosexuality was taboo, drag queens were so shocking that they lived underground, and only came out late at night. While gay people are easily accepted in today’s society, trans folk do not enjoy the same acceptance. I recently witnessed a huge rowe within the Atlanta Gay Pride scene, at a public shunning of Trans Girls by the Dykes on Bikes faction. In-Fighting has always sucked, but prejudices still exist, even within like minded groups. 

An interesting side story ... Several years ago I was in New Orleans with a girlfriend and we saw a commemorative plaque in the sidewalk marking the spot of the Upstairs Lounge Arson Attack. As we stopped to read the plaque, a white cane came into view, pointing to the name of Glenn Richard “Dick” Green. We looked up and there was a round man in his late sixties dressed in an all white suit from head to toe, complete with a white fedora. He spoke without introduction and said, “I used to work with Dick Green, (pointing across the street) at the [opulent] Hotel Montelone. He would come here after work to relax & socialize with his friends ... He was a very nice man”. He then continued, “An arsonist attacked the lounge that night. He threw a Molotov Cocktail into the bar, and barricades and nailed the door shut”. [Pointing at the door], “This was the only way in, or out.” He said, “32 people died that night in the fire, and it was very tragic”.

With that me & (Heather) looked down at the plaque in a quiet and somber mood. After just a few seconds I looked up to ask him a question, as neither of us had spoken yet, but he wasn’t there. He was gone. He literally had vanished. Mind you, this plaque was in the middle of the street, and it was mid-morning on a side street. We were the only people on the street, and the five seconds of silence that I looked away was not enough time for a 70 y/o fat man with a cane to disappear, but he did. I’ve often wondered if he was one of New Orleans famous ghostly ambassadors. 

Sorry for the ramble, but my post reminded me of this story.

That's a nice story.  On an essentially unrelated tangent, here is an interesting clip from one of my favorite (if disturbing) movies.  https://youtu.be/RUUhcK3Pt14?t=5

Wow. What a movie. I just spent a half hour researching it.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon