Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Transsexual vs Transgender - What's the difference?

Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between being transsexual and transgendered. Just trying to figure out where I am on this scale, or both.

Bev

(29-01-2019, 08:24 AM)Beverley50 Wrote:  Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between being transsexual and transgendered. Just trying to figure out where I am on this scale, or both.

Bev

transsexual and transgender encompasses one another and are in essence the same thing but with minute differences.

A good read would be : Transsexual and its relationship to transgender

Quote:Hence, transsexuality may be said to deal more with physical aspects of one's sex, while transgender considerations deal more with one's psychological gender disposition or predisposition, as well as the related social expectations that may accompany a given gender role.[38] Many transgender people prefer the designation transgender and reject transsexual.[39][40][41] For example, Christine Jorgensen publicly rejected transsexual in 1979, and instead identified herself in newsprint as trans-gender, saying, "gender doesn't have to do with bed partners, it has to do with identity."

Think you have it the wrong way round ?

Julie

(29-01-2019, 07:49 PM)julieTG Wrote:  Think you have it the wrong way round ?

Julie

Opps i was thinking of transvestite, I'm a dingbat today.

Just edited my original statement, thanks for making me see straight.

Did a quick search and came up with:

Transsexuals are people who transition from one sex to another

Transgender, unlike transsexual, is a term for people whose identity, expression, behavior, or general sense of self does not conform to what is usually associated with the sex they were born in the place they were born.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/what-differ...ted-271389

I'm not so sure that's a perfect description of the distinction, but I can appreciate the difference attempting to be delineated and know that I fall within the latter. Smile

I've always thought the two terms are interchangeable, much like terms such as gay and homosexual.

Transgender are people whose perceived gender doesn't match their genetic sex.
Transsexuals are people who modify their sexual characteristics (primary or secondary or social) to match those of the other genetic sex.

Even if it's undeniable that the two are frequently related, as transsexual people are frequently transgender, they are also two very separate things.

Men growing breasts, of which we have a few on this forum, could technically be identified as cisgender transsexuals.

As non gender conforming I am not transgender because I don't choose Male or female. Also transexual dosent fit because I am not a Male with breasts.  I am unique.

The term "transsexual" is a specific term used to describe a person whose entire identity is that of a different gender than the one of which they were born. Transsexuals generally desire to achieve as complete a transition to their target gender as possible.

"Transgender" is commonly used as a more general term that includes transsexuals, but also those of the several other gender related conditions that involve feeling or appearing as a different sex. So called "crossdressers" are considered transgender, as are persons with intersex conditions, such as AIS.

It just occurred to me that many of us here (men who grow breasts, yet remain male) could be considered "crossgender". Seems the most appropriate label under those circumstances.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon