Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Lower Testosterone AND Estrogen - From Progesterone

I started taking progesterone cream 2 months ago partially because I thought it could help my insomnia, but also because I had seen it mentioned several times in these forums. I'm not taking any T blockers (just E2 patch and finasteride)

I just had my hormones tested and BOTH Testosterone and Estrogen had dropped quite a bit.

ESTRADIOL, ENHANCED    52.1 pg/mL ---> 43.1 pg/mL
TESTOSTERONE    449 ng/dL  ---->  377 ng/dL

One possibility is that lower T meant less E2 is converted through aromatase. Unfortunately, my estradiol wasn't tested before I started HRT so there's no way of knowing how much estradiol I was getting through aromatase.

My first question is whether the progesterone could have caused lower T and/or E2. The second is whether it's beneficial to take progesterone. I'd actually like bigger butt and hips as much as boobs so I was curious if it had any effect on hips/butt.

Aside from stopping the progesterone, I was considering taking PABA which keeps estrogen in your body longer, but I'm not sure how dangerous that would be. Either way, I'm going to ask my doctor. Another thing I'm considering is not removing my old patch after 7 days and just keeping it on for a few days after adding the new patch.

(26-07-2018, 11:03 PM)Nightshade Wrote:  I started taking progesterone cream 2 months ago partially because I thought it could help my insomnia, but also because I had seen it mentioned several times in these forums. I'm not taking any T blockers (just E2 patch and finasteride)

I just had my hormones tested and BOTH Testosterone and Estrogen had dropped quite a bit.

ESTRADIOL, ENHANCED    52.1 pg/mL ---> 43.1 pg/mL
TESTOSTERONE    449 ng/dL  ---->  377 ng/dL

One possibility is that lower T meant less E2 is converted through aromatase. Unfortunately, my estradiol wasn't tested before I started HRT so there's no way of knowing how much estradiol I was getting through aromatase.

My first question is whether the progesterone could have caused lower T and/or E2. The second is whether it's beneficial to take progesterone. I'd actually like bigger butt and hips as much as boobs so I was curious if it had any effect on hips/butt.

Aside from stopping the progesterone, I was considering taking PABA which keeps estrogen in your body longer, but I'm not sure how dangerous that would be. Either way, I'm going to ask my doctor. Another thing I'm considering is not removing my old patch after 7 days and just keeping it on for a few days after adding the new patch.

Just to give you an example....  My GD put me on Progesterone to help lower my stubborn T...  It was 147...   My doctor wanted it between 25 - 50.   But, when I was on P, I had to use a 3rd Estridiol patch to get my E back up above even 100...  Target for E was set at 150 - 200.  But 30 days later , my E was at 300+, and my T was >3   so, I had my blood panel done a month later after.   Last blood check, my E was 172 and P was at 12.

The doctor said he thought it was my body being "reprogrammed " more feminine and it should even out somewhat.

So you think it was most likely the progesterone that caused my T and E to drop? I can't think of anything else that would have caused both to drop. I know raising estrogen can lower T, but my E dropped too.

I messaged my doctor, but she seemed to think it was more important to lower T than raise E. I'm going to message her again about going up to 2 patches because I think I've hit a plateau (or even lost some progress).

(15-08-2018, 03:55 AM)Nightshade Wrote:  So you think it was most likely the progesterone that caused my T and E to drop? I can't think of anything else that would have caused both to drop. I know raising estrogen can lower T, but my E dropped too.

I messaged my doctor, but she seemed to think it was more important to lower T than raise E. I'm going to message her again about going up to 2 patches because I think I've hit a plateau (or even lost some progress).

Sort of NS.   In my case, it did knock my T to the basement, further than even my GD thought it would.  But, it also pushed my E down.  My personal thought, as well as the doctor after my E went above the "safe" limit, it was simply my body boomeranging.  An adjustment period.  My very last blood panel put me at <3 on T, and 207 E.  So, my doctor is going to try to keep me there, but also took me off Progesterone thinking that was the main culprit for my T being too low.  I'm suppose to get another blood panel and exam in late August- early September to see what my T and E are doing now being w/out P for 3 months.

I will post results in my thread when I get them.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon