Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Prednisone Growth?

Hey everyone,

I'm 33, female, and was on Prednisone tablets and an injection for about 6 months last year for terrible skin rashes due to eczema and poison ivy.

In that time, my breasts grew from 36D to 36H/38G and have stayed at this size. I gained and lost a little weight elsewhere, but my boobs haven't shrunk at all. I love busty ladies and I'm thrilled to have bigger boobs, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

I do want to massage my smaller breast so they are evenly sized, so I hope I can find a method that works for me!

(11-05-2016, 09:39 PM)CareBear314 Wrote:  Hey everyone,

I'm 33, female, and was on Prednisone tablets and an injection for about 6 months last year for terrible skin rashes due to eczema and poison ivy.

In that time, my breasts grew from 36D to 36H/38G and have stayed at this size. I gained and lost a little weight elsewhere, but my boobs haven't shrunk at all. I love busty ladies and I'm thrilled to have bigger boobs, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

I do want to massage my smaller breast so they are evenly sized, so I hope I can find a method that works for me!

Prednisone is a steroid, so it is perhaps the reason why your breasts have grown to that extent.

Hi CareBear,

corticosteroid therapy reduces testosterone, this male study shows mean testosterone levels were 33% lower in 12 men on long term oral prednisolone. So, in women?, the effect could be higher.

Testosterone levels during systemic and inhaled corticosteroid therapy.
Morrison D, et al. Respir Med. 1994.
Show full citation
Abstract
Testosterone has importance both as a sex hormone and as an anabolic steroid promoting bone formation. Osteoporosis is associated with both hypogonadism and corticosteroid therapy. Testosterone levels are reduced by long term prednisolone treatment. Although high dose inhaled corticosteroid therapy may cause a variety of systemic effects including adrenal suppression, dermal thinning and a reduction in total bone calcium, its effect on testosterone levels is not known. Testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone and sex hormone binding globulin were therefore measured in 35 male patients with respiratory disease attending an outpatient clinic (median age 58, range 21-75 years). They were grouped according to steroid therapy and compared with 19 age matched controls. Mean (SD) testosterone levels were 33% lower in 12 men on long term oral prednisolone [14.5 (6.0) nmol 1-1] than in controls [21.7 (6.3) nmol 1-1], but were not significantly reduced in 10 patients on low dose inhaled beclomethasone [200-800 micrograms day-1: 19.7 (3.7)] nor in 13 men taking high dose inhaled beclomethasone [1500-2,250 micrograms day-1: 17.9 (5.6)]. Levels of luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone and sex hormone binding globulin were similar in all four groups. These cross sectional data confirm that long term systemic corticosteroid therapy reduces testosterone levels. However, testosterone was reduced by only 18% (NS) by long term inhaled corticosteroids. Other mechanisms to explain the disordered bone metabolism should now be explored.

PMID 7809437 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I know this is an older post. But it caught my attention. I am a 53-year-old man and when I was younger I developed a kidney disorder that I still have. Whenever I relapse I have to take prednisone daily at high doses. In between the age of three and 14 I relapsed every year to year and a half and we go on a cycle of prednisone and high doses for up to a year every time . Between 80 and 100 mg a day. I was able to father two children in my 20s I didn’t develop Gynecomastia until probably my late 40s early 50s and now coupled with hypogonadism I seem to be gradually growing .
I don’t know if the prednisone had long-term effects and I suspect it did. I’m having a urologist look into it now and trying to talk him into having some other test done to include a mammogram. I mean I don’t mind the growth but wow!

(15-05-2016, 05:02 AM)Lotus Wrote:  

Hi CareBear,

corticosteroid therapy reduces testosterone, this male study shows mean testosterone levels were 33% lower in 12 men on long term oral prednisolone. So, in women?, the effect could be higher.

Testosterone levels during systemic and inhaled corticosteroid therapy.
Morrison D, et al. Respir Med. 1994.
Show full citation
Abstract
Testosterone has importance both as a sex hormone and as an anabolic steroid promoting bone formation. Osteoporosis is associated with both hypogonadism and corticosteroid therapy. Testosterone levels are reduced by long term prednisolone treatment. Although high dose inhaled corticosteroid therapy may cause a variety of systemic effects including adrenal suppression, dermal thinning and a reduction in total bone calcium, its effect on testosterone levels is not known. Testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone and sex hormone binding globulin were therefore measured in 35 male patients with respiratory disease attending an outpatient clinic (median age 58, range 21-75 years). They were grouped according to steroid therapy and compared with 19 age matched controls. Mean (SD) testosterone levels were 33% lower in 12 men on long term oral prednisolone [14.5 (6.0) nmol 1-1] than in controls [21.7 (6.3) nmol 1-1], but were not significantly reduced in 10 patients on low dose inhaled beclomethasone [200-800 micrograms day-1: 19.7 (3.7)] nor in 13 men taking high dose inhaled beclomethasone [1500-2,250 micrograms day-1: 17.9 (5.6)]. Levels of luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone and sex hormone binding globulin were similar in all four groups. These cross sectional data confirm that long term systemic corticosteroid therapy reduces testosterone levels. However, testosterone was reduced by only 18% (NS) by long term inhaled corticosteroids. Other mechanisms to explain the disordered bone metabolism should now be explored.

PMID 7809437 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Prednisone lowers SHBG with regular use. So any T and E floating around in your body has more time to activate receptors.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12780755/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11925670/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/325982/

"Corticosteroid (Prednisone, Decortin) after orchidectomy decreased T and SHBG below the levels found after orchidectomy alone."

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon