Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

What's in those herbals?

This is another reason I love this forum. Raising attention to this
is a big deal. Thank you! More than a few times I've been at Walmart
and considered buying my supplements there, but opted not to. I'm
glad about that. I get mine online at the Vitamin Shoppe and will
continue doing so.

(07-01-2016, 02:21 PM)Dianna1395 Wrote:  Why do we insist on handing our power over to others, when we KNOW they will abuse that trust? It's a question of WHEN, not IF.
Always....

-Jean
This may come as a shock to you, but not all of us have our own private lab where we can test the herbals to make sure they are indeed the herbals we want. Perhaps you do, in which case, feel free to do tests for all of us. Otherwise, the most practical solution is to have it regulated like every other thing that is sold in this country, in that it must actually be what they say it is.

No its very simple

It costs £200 max for an analysis

All reputable suppliers do this on batches pre sale,

even larger retail chains

Julie

(08-01-2016, 04:47 PM)julieTG Wrote:  No its very simple

Julie
Dietary supplements (herbals, animal extracts, etc) are not regulated in the US. There is no requirement for them to do that. And the reality is, there are plenty of "dietary supplement" companies out there who are selling stuff knowing full well that their products do not have the ingredients they claim or do what they claim.

(09-01-2016, 01:16 PM)OHboobs Wrote:  
(08-01-2016, 04:47 PM)julieTG Wrote:  No its very simple

Julie
Dietary supplements (herbals, animal extracts, etc) are not regulated in the US. There is no requirement for them to do that. And the reality is, there are plenty of "dietary supplement" companies out there who are selling stuff knowing full well that their products do not have the ingredients they claim or do what they claim.

I think what you really need is not particularly strict regulation but a legal statute that covers consumers more.

Here in the UK we have what's called the Trade Descriptions Act which covers all goods sold by any retailer.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/29

That includes the composition of anything sold including herbs.
If it's described as being a particular thing, then that's what it should be. To do otherwise would be an offence and unlawful.
The company could face heavy fines, have it's falsely described products confiscated and be forced to compensate or refund their customers.
Under the act consumers can demand a refund if the goods are not fit for purpose or not as described.

Which explains a little better what Julie wrote, companies have to do it here, to do otherwise would be potentially leaving themselves open to being in breach of the act.

With a large company like Walgreens or Walmart I would have expected better I've used them both many times when I've been in the States.

I remember this report and thinking that's unfortunate regarding Spring Valley...as their Valerian is far more effective for it's intended purpose than other's offerings that cost more. Some have tried Valerian and assume it does nothing...till they try Walmart's cheapo brand, Spring Valley, which is a 4 to 1 extract. You'll notice that one. Wink

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon