Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

[split] gender

(31-03-2015, 12:34 AM)sfem Wrote:  Wantapair, are you suggesting that a criticism is some kind of religious act? How about realism, or voyeurism, or activism, or catechism, or even schism? Or any of a great many other verbs turned into nouns that reflect that verb?
Adding ism to a word doesn't make it religiously oriented or even relevant to religions. Transgenderism is fine as an action noun, although perhaps transgender activism might be a more descriptive way of phrasing it (still an -ism, still non-religious).
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/-ism?s=t if anybody wants a (dubious) reference.

Fire&Ice, I had the same reaction to B's use of the gender binary, but decided it wasn't worth replying to. Much like B's denunciation of those of us on here who haven't walked the exact same path as B or come to the same conclusions as B. B's penchant for mixing his views of those of us on the forum with whatever source material he quotes, then retreating to saying "I was only referring to the original article" (or something similar) whenever his point is challenged in a way he cannot answer, just makes me stop reading. So do his personal attacks, and I will not give any semblance of credibility to his position by taking his double-dog dare of dragging my personal relationships into it. If he feels his situation resonates with his point, fine. Far be it from me to say it doesn't. B is the authority on B, not me. B can judge someone else guilty then demand they prove their innocence if he wants. I said my piece, then let others have their turn. Regarding the current spat, I am not particularly inclined to find the original article reliable anyway. I have no reasonable way to ascertain the true facts of the situation (assuming the entire piece isn't a fabrication to create a column and sell ad space). Even if it is taken at face value, as I previously posted, it is necessarily highly incomplete because it does not have the other party's perspective or narrative in it. B can stand on the two-legged stool if he likes. I'll pass.
Boy! Those are a lot of isms!! Thisism, thatism, ism, ism, ism! All I am saying is, give peace a chance!
Well, y'see, THIS is why people from other parts of the planet have such a hard time speaking our lingo, it's got so many contradicting rules that it makes it nearly impossible to learn if you're not hatched here. I before E, except after C, but ONLY in certain words!!
To answer the question, no, I'm not saying ALL ism's are religiously based, I knew there were examples of others, I just didn't want to bring them all into it; being one who plays with words, I could've been here all night tying lexiconic knots (OOO!! I just quoined another word!!), and I was very tired and just wanted to get to bed as soon as I was done writing my thoughts. But, in a way, each of those you listed, with the possible exception of, "schism", has SOMETHING to do with a kind of belief.

(31-03-2015, 01:35 AM)WantAPair Wrote:  
(31-03-2015, 12:34 AM)sfem Wrote:  Wantapair, are you suggesting that a criticism is some kind of religious act? How about realism, or voyeurism, or activism, or catechism, or even schism? Or any of a great many other verbs turned into nouns that reflect that verb?
Adding ism to a word doesn't make it religiously oriented or even relevant to religions. Transgenderism is fine as an action noun, although perhaps transgender activism might be a more descriptive way of phrasing it (still an -ism, still non-religious).
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/-ism?s=t if anybody wants a (dubious) reference.

Fire&Ice, I had the same reaction to B's use of the gender binary, but decided it wasn't worth replying to. Much like B's denunciation of those of us on here who haven't walked the exact same path as B or come to the same conclusions as B. B's penchant for mixing his views of those of us on the forum with whatever source material he quotes, then retreating to saying "I was only referring to the original article" (or something similar) whenever his point is challenged in a way he cannot answer, just makes me stop reading. So do his personal attacks, and I will not give any semblance of credibility to his position by taking his double-dog dare of dragging my personal relationships into it. If he feels his situation resonates with his point, fine. Far be it from me to say it doesn't. B is the authority on B, not me. B can judge someone else guilty then demand they prove their innocence if he wants. I said my piece, then let others have their turn. Regarding the current spat, I am not particularly inclined to find the original article reliable anyway. I have no reasonable way to ascertain the true facts of the situation (assuming the entire piece isn't a fabrication to create a column and sell ad space). Even if it is taken at face value, as I previously posted, it is necessarily highly incomplete because it does not have the other party's perspective or narrative in it. B can stand on the two-legged stool if he likes. I'll pass.
Boy! Those are a lot of isms!! Thisism, thatism, ism, ism, ism! All I am saying is, give peace a chance!
Well, y'see, THIS is why people from other parts of the planet have such a hard time speaking our lingo, it's got so many contradicting rules that it makes it nearly impossible to learn if you're not hatched here. I before E, except after C, but ONLY in certain words!!
To answer the question, no, I'm not saying ALL ism's are religiously based, I knew there were examples of others, I just didn't want to bring them all into it; being one who plays with words, I could've been here all night tying lexiconic knots (OOO!! I just quoined another word!!), and I was very tired and just wanted to get to bed as soon as I was done writing my thoughts. But, in a way, each of those you listed, with the possible exception of, "schism", has SOMETHING to do with a kind of belief.

Many of them can be used in a religious context, but them again, so can red, ball, statue, coin, greed, light, etc. They do not have anything to do with belief. I did provide a reference. I also believe (not in any religious sense) the word you were looking for was lexical. Quoined is not a word; coined would have been.

(31-03-2015, 02:30 AM)sfem Wrote:  
(31-03-2015, 01:35 AM)WantAPair Wrote:  

Many of them can be used in a religious context, but them again, so can red, ball, statue, coin, greed, light, etc. They do not have anything to do with belief. I did provide a reference. I also believe (not in any religious sense) the word you were looking for was lexical. Quoined is not a word; coined would have been.
Well, I wasn't EXACTLY thinking in religious terms, just in belief terms. Criticism is someone belief opposed to someone else's; realism, again, it CAN be what you PERCEIVE as real; voyeurism, I forgot what I came up for that one; activism, an activist postulates a belief they have and hopes others see it their way; catechism, okay, THAT ones to do with religion. Well, I've never heard of it used to speak of ANYTHING else but religion.
Quoined IS a word! Notice that, when you type it here, the computer doesn't mark it as a word that doesn't exist! Working in the print industry, as I have for 15 years, you learn that in the early days of printing, they'd use individual letters picked from a huge rack of all the characters to be used in what ever you were going to print and you had to hand set each and every one!! Then, once you had your particular article set in the bed, in order to keep everything tightly in place, you'd have to frame it with these metal braces called, quoins, and to make sure it was firmly in place in the printing bed, you used a quoin key to tighten them up! It looks like a metal T that is a bit longer across the top than it is down the middle. So, the term, to quoin a phrase, comes from that. I've used one a number of times.

This is a quoin key in use.

Quoins and a quoin key.

Anyway, do you want to grow breasts but not get a sex change?

(31-03-2015, 04:23 AM)iaboy Wrote:  I appreciate all the traffic, but , I think we are WAY past the original premise of the thread. Can anyone spell H. I. J. A. C. K. E. D. ?? I just did.

Well, as you can see in my last comment, I DID try to kick the ball back onto the field!

I find the question much too simple and will lead to overly simple answers. This has been discussed in the past, more than once. I have contributed to that topic in the past, I have nothing new to say about it. My answer was "yes". Am I less of a hijacker now? If you were to enter some appropriate words into the breastnexus search, you could find several threads discussing this topic in the past.

I will say I am less and less tolerant these days of people making things up or assuming them or hearing them from non-authoritative sources and then presenting them as facts. Catechism is one of those words that can be used in a religious context, but is not a religious word, for example. Criticism, activism, and realism are words that name activities, just like catechism. Those activities need not have any relationship to any kind of "belief".

Regarding quoin vs. coin, please see http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/...oin-phrase. Coining things is a use of the word coin that far predates the existence of the equipment you are referring to. Pictures of quoins and their keys notwithstanding.

(31-03-2015, 01:03 AM)WantAPair Wrote:  Well, yeah, you HAVE a sex change, so, it's done TO you.

No, no, WAP. You don't become transgender by having anything done to you once out of the womb. Also, we are trying to get away from "sex change", SRS, and GRS. These surgical operations don't change one's biological sex or gender identity any more than putting on a dress or growing boobs. The proper terminology today is 'gender confirmation surgery", because it brings one's body into alignment with the person's gender identity. Gender confirmation surgery includes FFS, BA (breast augmentation), and vaginoplasty. For someone who identifies as female rather than male, these interventions are often needed to reduce GD.

Clara

(30-03-2015, 04:08 AM)ClaraKay Wrote:  Bryony,
I'm trying to understand what your point is in all this back and forth. Is there some kind of underlying issue related to your transgenderism that you are trying to justify?

Clara, I've said many times before and you seem to have trouble remembering that I consider transitioning a fine thing for single people and for married people whose wives were either aware of the situation before marriage, or were absolutely on board with it when it was discovered / revealed.

The "back and forth" as you call it is simply what the main section of this sub-forum is about - General Discussion. As I recall, it started on a thread called

"Why do you want Female Breast but not to Transition"

My contribution was here link 1

Later, Pansy-Mae mentioned my name as having provided some information to which I responded here link 2

It was at that point that you decided to jump in on a thread asking why people had decided not to transition to explain why you did choose to transition.
(Would you call that a hijack?)

You specifically mentioned my name, so I considered it fair game to reply. You replied, I replied, because we are both clearly "last word freaks", and when you got tired of me asserting my point of view you ask what is my point in all this "back and forth"! I could ask you the same thing!

In fact, it is a little annoying for you to start a back and forth and suddenly I am getting veiled accusations, as follows:

Quote:Is it the same kind of self-righteousness that I get from religious conservatives? Is it a profound sense of guilt for having married your wife not knowing the full extent of your transgenderism? Is it an deep down sense of shame and disgust directed at transgender people?

That is as insulting as if I were to ask you whether you have any guilt or shame of depriving your wife and daughter of a husband and father.

Is it self-righteous to care about the innocent victims of deception? Would I be self-righteous to condemn wife-beating?

If you are asking me whether I had rather been born as a cis-gendered male or cis-gendered female, I would say certainly. Who would willingly be born with a disorder?

I've told you time and again and you always ignore it, that the only transgenders I have a problem with are the ones who cast their wives off like old boots. Since you haven't done this, I wonder where the guilt lies for you to defend the ones that do.

Quote:You were an active poster on BN when I joined. Then, you disappeared without a word for many months.

Non sequiteur much? Is this some subtle way of saying that you wish I had not come back? Smile

Quote:Various possible reasons come to mind, but in the end it was simply a big mystery to me. Would you care to offer an explanation?

I've already responsed to those who were concerned enough to ask me if I was ok during my absence. Since you ask, it was primarily that there were a lot of issues in my ordinary everyday life that prevented me spending sufficient time as an active contributor.

Quote:I think it would be more valuable to the readers here than repeating over and over the ...

I don't know why you would think that. As for "repeating over and over", well that is the basis of assertiveness isn't it? You take a standpoint and you defend it.

That's exactly what you are doing isn't it? Repeatedly arguing over and over that it is alright for a husband of some decades to deceive his wife and then abandon her if she does not immediately embrace the concept of lesbianism. I'm sorry, but I don't agree.

Quote:same sense of indignation you feel for those of us who don't share your particular views on the nature of transgenderism and how it relates to moral values.

I'm fine with the nature of transgenderism as long as it does not involve mental cruelty to an innocent wife.

My particular views are as one who empathises very much with the plight of women who are ill-treated by men, whether cis-gendered or trans-gendered. I don't think being transgenderd should give you a "get out of jail" card for abandoning a wife any more than someone being a highly sexed cis-gendered male should avoid opprobrium for disposing of his menopausal wife for a new model.

As for "those of us who don't share...", may I remind you that you do not represent everyone who lurks or contributes here. I'm pretty sure that there are at least a few people who do share my views regarding the treatment of wives.

I had no idea before I started on PM that there was any alternative for people like me between suffering or relief via transitioning. Now that I have found a third way, I feel it should be publicised widely. OK, you have convinced yourself that it wouldn't work for you and you are in the luxurious position of pursuing your dream without abandoning your wife. Bully for you.

As long as there is a chance that someone comes along who, like I was, is at their wits' end, but has a wife whom they dearly love and who does not want to lose the man she has loved for a long time, then I want to help such people.

Because you belong to a group of people who do not share my empathy for such wives, then you are not interested in my message of successful (in my experience) alternative therapies to avoid subjecting families to the more distressing aspects of transition; in which case, the answer is simple - stop debating with me, but please don't try to stifle my opinions - you will only get frustrated.

However, as you have seen, new people come along on a regular basis. I take the opportunity on those occasions to remind them that if they are married, the best thing they should be doing, in my opinion is to talk things over with their wives and not just use them as unsuspecting brood mares until retirement age allows them to be abandoned.

B.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon