Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Help! Seeking Advice on My Herbal Intake and Program

Question 

I really want someone to take a look at the numbers and let me know if I'm overdoing or under doing things.... THANKS!

I've only been at this for a short while now, but already feel some improvement and gains. I'm wondering if I could get some input and help to determine what (if any) of the items need to change in quantity or be replaced/removed? Looking for as much input as possible so that I can make the modifications necessary before I have to buy more... Thank you!

Currently:

• Fenugreek 610 mg x3 per day
• Saw Palmetto 450 mg x 6 per day
• Red Clover 430 mg x3 per day
• Licorice Root 420 mg x3 per day
• Wild Yam 220 mg x3 per day
• Daily using Wild Yam cream when possible 14% blend.
• Massage whenever possible.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In order to help with determining if I'm over/under doing it or not... I'm going to provide a little more info:

• Age 52
• Height 5'11
• Weight 210 (Ideal weight with muscle is around 180 ... working on it soon)

Please help with this as I have some symptoms, but not consistent enough to determine the cause. Also, I'd say fairly good improvement for such a short time, thus I'm worried I might be way over on something.

Thanks!

Hi Dee,

Please share the supplemental facts of those herbs if you can. I'd drop the licorice root right off the bat. Your dosages across the board are too high, ideally its a gradual process and giving your system time to adjust and maintain hemostasis (control).

SP is way too high, I'd like to know the fatty acid content please.

Hi Lotus.... Thanks... just about to take morning dose. I will post the Supplemental Facts soon.

I'm not going to take the Licorice Root this morning, but just out of curiosity, why would you omit that one? I'm not challenging you on this as I most likely agree, but just want to learn the reason. Is it just not necessary? Bad side effects? Etc?.

Thanks,
Dee

(14-01-2015, 04:15 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Hi Dee,

Please share the supplemental facts of those herbs if you can. I'd drop the licorice root right off the bat. Your dosages across the board are too high, ideally its a gradual process and giving your system time to adjust and maintain homeostasis (control).

SP is way too high, I'd like to know the fatty acid content please.

The SP is whole herb, not extract, so it might not be too high a dose since it is comparatively weaker. Personally, I'd buy the standardized extract and take two 320 mg capsules per day.

Fenugreek makes your breasts swell temporarily. If you stop taking it, they go back down. That is likely the results being seen. I'd drop the red clover and switch to PM working up from 500 mg to 2000 mg per day over a period of several weeks.

(14-01-2015, 04:32 PM)Dee_NH Wrote:  Hi Lotus.... Thanks... just about to take morning dose. I will post the Supplemental Facts soon.

I'm not going to take the Licorice Root this morning, but just out of curiosity, why would you omit that one? I'm not challenging you on this as I most likely agree, but just want to learn the reason. Is it just not necessary? Bad side effects? Etc?.

Thanks,
Dee

Yes, side effects of LR is risky enough, when combined with other NBE supplements the potential risk for more side effects increase. LR will kick start adrenaline, and at our age its risky. Smile

Thanks all ... I will be looking into getting PM and going from there eventually and will also start heeding some advice here.

Here are the Supplemental Facts that Lotus requested:

Fenugreek

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 1 Capsule
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Fenugreek 610 mg **
(Trigonella foenum-graecum) (seed)
**Daily Value not established.
Directions: For adults, take one (1) capsule three times daily, preferably with meals. Capsules may be opened and prepared as a tea.

Other Ingredients: Gelatin. Contains <2% of: Silica, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate.

Saw Palmetto

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 3 Capsules
Servings Per Container 66
Saw Palmetto 1,350 mg (1.35 g) **
(Serenoa repens) (fruit)
**Daily Value not established.
Directions: For adult men, take three (3) capsules once or twice daily, preferably with meals.

Other Ingredients: Gelatin.

Red Clover

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 1 Capsule
Red Clover 430 mg *
(Trifolium pratense) (aerial)
*Daily Value not established.
Directions: For adults, take one (1) capsule five to six times daily, preferably with meals. Capsules may be opened and prepared as a tea.

Other Ingredients: Gelatin.

Licorice Root

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 1 Capsule
Licorice 420 mg *
(Glycyrrhiza glabra) (root)
*Daily Value not established.
Directions: For adults, take one (1) to three (3) capsules one to three times daily, preferably with meals. Capsules may be opened and prepared as a tea.

Other Ingredients: Gelatin. Contains <2% of: Silica, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate.

Wild Yam

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 Capsule
Servings Per Container 60
Wild Yam (Dioscorea villosa) Root Extract
(standardized for 10% diosgenin)
200 mg †
Wild Yam root powder 20 mg
† Daily Value (DV) not established.

Other Ingredients: Rice Flour, Vegetable Cellulose, Calcium Silicate.

Suggested Use: As a dietary supplement take one (1) capsule daily with food or water.

Ok thanks Dee,

Saw palmetto products vary in their contents, I'll be sharing a 2013 study shortly and perhaps a one of a kind study comparing about 20 different brands of saw palmetto. Here's a qoute:

83% of the liquid supplements contained greater than or equal to their stated fatty acid content. This is higher than the 33% of the measured saw palmetto supplements analyzed in a previous study [39]. Supplement companies that state their fatty acid content may be employing better manufacturing procedures and analyzing their products to ensure they contain the stated values.

Anyways, FG is mostly used as a compliment for another E source to PM, FG offers more than just temporary swelling, helps with prolactin and progesterone support. Red Clover has stronger binding affinity for ER-B, some reported animal studies on sterilty. you need more aromatase, (converts Free T to E), PM has a litte, if you use SP it affects progesterone receptors, most likely from one of the plant sterols it contains.

Thanks Lotus

It's possible my heart rate and inability to fall asleep last night was licorice root related.

My main concern is that I'm not doing something drastically harmful. I'm dropping the licorice root for now. And hoping for others to weigh in with their concerns.

Thanks
Dee

As I recall, the biggest concern with LR is that it can raise blood pressure unless it has the glycyrrhizin removed, and that is the substance needed for NBE.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon