Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

The Beginner's Makeup Thread

I am glad you guys like the thread! I was kinda nervous about posting it at first, but now I'm glad I did. Smile

Let's talk brushes.

As easy as it is to use our fingers to apply eyeshadow, if you are looking to wear multiple colors you are gonna need the right tools. Not to mention brushes for blush, contouring, highlighting, etc.

What you need, AKA the basics:

A fluffy kabuki for applying powder foundation or setting powder.

A foundation brush for liquid... this could either be a flat foundation brush, a stippling brush, or flat top brush, or a beauty blender

An angled brush for contouring.

A fluffy blush brush.

An eyeliner brush.

A flat eyeshadow brush.

A fluffy crease brush.

And an angled brow brush.

I tried to include really good yet affordable brushes in my list that include brushes that I use myself. However, while they work fantastically, I find myself replacing them every six months or so. Once you get more used to applying makeup I highly suggest investing in some good brushes. They may seem pricey, but they last for years and years. Sephora and MAC make some fantastic brushes!

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on brushes, though, check out Sigma, ELF, and Ebay for brushes. I have actually purchased some of the cheap brush sets on Ebay and really liked them... even though a few of them weren't necessary. Another problem with the Ebay brushes is density and smell. They will need washing if you order them as they come in smelling like plastic. ELF studio brushes are pretty much always really good, though! I haven't encountered any duds yet.

That reminds me... always wash your brushes. They are a bacteria breeding ground. Eye brushes aren't a big deal, but the foundation brushes or anything that comes in contact with liquid or cream makeup needs to be cleaned. For daily cleaning I suggest 1 part rubbing alcohol + 2 parts water + a nice smelling essential oil (optional). Put it in a spray bottle and spray your brushes between applications and wipe them on a tissue. Every other week you should give your brushes a good shampoo and condition under warm water and let them air dry overnight.

PS... makeup thread and no Karren yet. Hello, Makeup Queen! Where you at? lol

Re coconut oil, it's great stuff for lots of uses. For smaller quantities, try the organic stuff from Vitamin Shoppe; for larger amounts, try the large jars at Costco.

Emily, this is awesome! Thanks so much for starting this! Really good makeup tips are so helpful. :-)
I can just hear Sarah asking you to do it...lol.
I feel like I got a gold star since I already use several products you advocate. Tee hee.
Particularly interested in the foundation tips. I would love to get better at the art of reshaping and reemphasing facial aspects through highlight and shadow in the foundation process.
I wonder if there are digital online tools to allow you to use a plain photo of yourself and experiment with shadow and highlight for that purpose?
But thanks so much! I almost asked Sarah to suggest this to you myself.
Bummer about SCC, girl!
I was really looking forward to the BN girls having our own resident consultant for hair and makeup. Sad

That's a lot of brushes! you wear make up on eyebrows?
Is it like sometimes I'll dye my lashes and brows because its like lazy makeup that wont mess up haha
Good information echapman.

(09-06-2014, 02:27 PM)BonitaDDs Wrote:  That's a lot of brushes! you wear make up on eyebrows?
Is it like sometimes I'll dye my lashes and brows because its like lazy makeup that wont mess up haha
Good information echapman.

Lol, Bonita...I use two different things on my brows, a cream and then a powder. I have a tiny little brush for each.
What can I say...obsessive! Tongue

Lol, good find karren

Love it karen! Its true makeup can improve the look of anything if done well!
I saw on a different forum trans women complain of a couple slightly male features and the first thing anyone suggests is surgery even if obvious first things first she needs a shave and eyebrow shaping which is a bit scary... well I have a few sort of masculine features like a butt chin, big unattractive bent nose and my brow bone sticks out and I am sure everyone can tell I'm a woman and these 'ugly for women' feautures only add to my face.

Its one of the posts I created and have been posting on my FaceBook page... lol. Makeup is amazing!!

I brought some of the primer you mentioned! I cant wait to use it this morning Smile Of course it turned up with more ingrediants listed on the bottle that was on the actual listing but it was cheap enough so il give it a go! Smile

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon