Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

For those who need support....

Dear Friends,
I'm too emotionally exhausted to recompose this and I know it will be confusing but it captures the essence of what's going on and the heartbreak I'm feeling right now. It's my response to a private message from PattiTJ:

I really do appreciate your honest feedback that perhaps I've moved too fast but I don't think so. There was certainly a course adjustment a year and a half ago but my wife knew maybe 30% long before that and even had inklings before we got married. I wouldn't call it informed consent but she knew some of what I barely understood myself. The feelings have intensified as I got older but they have been with me as far back as my memory goes to early childhood. Finding this forum, PM and E2 have been a godsend helping me to deal with (suddenly perhaps) the emotional side of all this but it has not removed the feelings all together. Yes, a lot changed in the last year and a half but only because things have been stuffed for the last 44 years.

Surprisingly, our relationship dramatically improved since I gave full disclosure that fateful weekend in Feb 2013. We found new depths of emotional intimacy neither one of us ever imagined. My irritability was replaced with a lasting calmness and I've experienced true happiness for the first time in my life that she and others have openly acknowledged. Things were going great to say the least. We found an acceptable compromise that I would not take transition too far and always present myself as her "husband" but I would be allowed to grow my hair longer and be a little more androgynous, especially in the way I dress. I finally felt comfortable being myself around her and she was fine with that. No dresses or makeup in public mind you or anything that call attention to myself, but with her, in private, I could do whatever felt comfortable. It's been a happy medium and even my sister-in-law said she suspected nothing and had no idea whatsoever that something was up with me. My wife's confession to her was not malicious. As she is prone to do, it just came out without forethought. My sister-in-law has, in the past, been one of my wife's closest sisters / friend but things have been strained lately for reasons that are irrelevant to this situation. They were simply working things out with that when my wife happen to spill the beans about my secret. She has a long history of blurting out sensitive information without thinking but this was, without a doubt, the biggest, dumbest, most careless example to date. She is slowly realizing just how perilous a position she has put me, our relationship and our family in. I know, it's amazing that she could be so absent minded but, surprisingly, that's all it was.

I'm still numb from the shock of it all and I'm so hurt that I'd like to say the hell with her but I can't. Shes been the most loyal friend I've ever had. For all the pain she has inflicted, she has matched it all with love and acceptance unlike any I've ever known from anyone. I hate what she has done and the looming potential harm it could cause down the road but I'd be devastated without her. If I stay and forgive her, things might be good again for a while (maybe forever) but there's a chance the secret could get out and our world will collapse or I could exit now, giving myself the freedom to do what I've always desired but at the incredible cost of three relationships that keep me alive, namely my wife, son and daughter. Neither option, staying or going, looks all that attractive at the moment. So, I suppose I'll stay.

As for talking, I appreciate the offer and I may even take you up on it, but not right now. I was angry about the situation when I wrote to you yesterday morning but it quickly turned to utter sorrow. Between the tears and shaking, it took 3 hours to get through my morning shower. After that, I went to see a friend from my local transgender support group. During the short trip to her house, I got an email from my sister-in-law telling me she had already, tearfully and regrettably, shared my secret with her husband because she was overwhelmed by what she had learned about me from my wife. I shed a raincloud of tears the rest of the way to my friends house and during our meeting. It was helpful nonetheless and afterwards I attended Saturday evening church during which I cried from the moment I sat down till I got up to leave. When I got home, I ask my wife to go for a walk with what I can only describe as supernatural strength and we talked, matter of factly about all that had transpired. There was no affection like usual but also no anger, just sadness and facts. Somehow I got to sleep without soaking my pillow but this morning the tears are near again to my eyes and I'm tossed to and fro with thoughts of what I should do now.

I appreciate the listening ear and your thoughts but honestly, I don't expect you to have the "answer" I need at this critical moment in my life and relationship. Just provoking me to write by asking questions is helpful which is exactly why this forum has been so good for me. It's my diary. It (and it's members) have helped me immensely to chronicle my life and "air out" my thoughts until they become clear. It's probably why I found the happy medium I spoke of earlier. So thanks again for listening and thinking of me lately. Knowing there are many out there like me gives me great comfort that words cannot describe. Thanks so much!

***Thanks also to Flamesabers and Sarah for being there for me yesterday as this all unfolded. Your part was in no small way, strength that helped me through this very hard day.

Wow, Patti is still around? That's good to hear!

As for me helping, I'm not so sure. You didn't even read my text until you'd calmed down!

Anyways, I know what you are going through to some degree. It's never as bad as you make it out to be in your mind. I"m sure you'll see what I mean in time! Big Grin

I feel for our Patti in her current emotional state. Being outed before you're ready can be a hard thing to deal with. How it turns out in the end is anybody's guess. Sometimes it's all for the better, and sometimes not. I sure hope Sarah's prediction of a good outcome is the way things play out.

It does highlight the need to have a fallback plan should one's closet walls suddenly turn to glass. Once anyone knows about your CD/TG nature, the chances of being outed are greatly increased. I have, and continue to think about that a lot. My DW and my mom know about me, so the chances for me are even greater, even with personal assurances that my secret will be safe.

I realize I have to get the word out to my children before they hear it through the grapevine should some 'slip up' occur. It's going to happen sooner or later. I'm not as concerned about my kids knowing, as how they come to know.

Patti, if you read this, please take heart, this too will pass.

Hugs,

Clara

(13-07-2014, 07:01 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  I feel for our Patti in her current emotional state. Being outed before you're ready can be a hard thing to deal with. How it turns out in the end is anybody's guess. Sometimes it's all for the better, and sometimes not. I sure hope Sarah's prediction of a good outcome is the way things play out.

It does highlight the need to have a fallback plan should one's closet walls suddenly turn to glass. Once anyone knows about your CD/TG nature, the chances of being outed are greatly increased. I have, and continue to think about that a lot. My DW and my mom know about me, so the chances for me are even greater, even with personal assurances that my secret will be safe.

I realize I have to get the word out to my children before they hear it through the grapevine should some 'slip up' occur. It's going to happen sooner or later. I'm not as concerned about my kids knowing, as how they come to know.

Hugs,

Clara

It was Kari's response to Patti. I don't think Patti has been very much in the closet since I've known her. Big Grin

Correct me if I'm wrong, Kari.

(13-07-2014, 07:06 PM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  
(13-07-2014, 07:01 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  I feel for our Patti in her current emotional state. Being outed before you're ready can be a hard thing to deal with. How it turns out in the end is anybody's guess. Sometimes it's all for the better, and sometimes not. I sure hope Sarah's prediction of a good outcome is the way things play out.

Hugs,

Clara

It was Kari's response to Patti. I don't think Patti has been very much in the closet since I've known her. Big Grin

Correct me if I'm wrong, Kari.

Oh my gosh, you're right, Sarah! I was confused. Now it makes sense why Kari was in a bad way.

I'm sorry, Kari. My sympathies are doubled.

Clara

Kari,

I'm glad to see you're posting about what has been simultaneously terrifying and weighing you down. Hopefully your secret doesn't spread any further, but who knows what can happen now? Sad

I don't know if the informed parties are aware about the difficult decision you're contemplating about staying or going, but I think it may help if they do. The fact your transgender feelings have been intensifying and you're taking pm and hormones to obtain relief from the dysphoria indicates these feelings are valid and should not be trivialized or suppressed. Long before your wife shared your secret to her sister, I know you've been deeply concerned about how your secret may negatively impact or even dissolve your relationship with your wife and children. I don't think it's fair that you should ever have to choose one over the other.

If your sister-in-law and her husband respect you, your wife and your marriage, I think they should keep quiet on this matter and not interfere with how you and your wife are dealing with this.

Hi Kari,

I read your reply to Patti again from a whole different perspective. My heart breaks for you with all the anguish you are feeling at this time. I'm still confused, though, and please excuse me if I seem obtuse, maybe I am, but what is the real problem here? Is it a trust issue with your wife? Is it the fear of possible negative consequences of being publicly identified as transgender? Is it that your relationship with your friends, your church, your family will be irreparably damaged? Maybe it's all of these and more, I'm just trying to understand.

I've read your posts and I know you are trying to find a balance between your gender identity and your gender expression. I see that you are trying to walk a tightrope between finding peace with your GD and living up to the expectations of a binary gender world. The problem is that neither objective is being satisfactorily achieved with that approach.

If the accidental outing to your sister-in-law had not precipitated this crisis, I'm almost certain that something else would have done so eventually. This maybe should be viewed as an opportunity to come to a workable resolution of your GD issues without all the external constraints that limit your choices.

I don't know you that well, so maybe what I'm saying is crazy, but think about the situation with the idea of finding any positives at work here. I somehow have the feeling that this is an important turning point in your life that will eventually bring real peace and harmony to you and your family.

Hugs,

Clara

Kari, Personally I have no experience in marriage so on that I cant really give advice, but I will say this, if it wasn't intentional on your wife's part, then it is not her fault.

My life is in a similar situation (minus the wife & kids & having been outed) to yours, so I understand the potential issues that relatives who are not receptive to or even willing to try to understand issues like ours can cause, and the terror of the idea of them finding out and possibly causing a mess (severe understatement) over it.

about the only advice I can give right now is talk to the relative(s) who found out and ask that they please not tell anyone else.

If you need someone to talk with & take some of the obviously gargantuan load off of you, you know how/where to contact me, If I can help in any way, I will. Smile

Kari,

I don't know whether any of this might help, but just in case it might, here goes.

The last day or two we were staying with my step-daughter, my DW's daughter. We both love her dearly and are very proud of her, but she is very bossy and also the very last person to whom anyone should entrust a confidence. The day before yesterday my DW spent the whole day with her on her own while I was catching up with a friend of mine. My DW was telling me yesterday that she found it a great strain because of an almost irresistible urge to tell her daughter all about my gender issues. She didn't but thought it was a very near thing. So this is probably a hazard we all face and at least your DW shouldn't feel too bad about it.

Next, when I have found myself in an apparently impossible situation, and have done whatever seems reasonably practical, I take a step back and place myself in the hands of providence (a general term for whatever suits your own religious beliefs), and things generally then work themselves out better than one ever would have believed possible.

Kari...I dont know how I missed this but I reallt have not been here a lot lately.
All I want to say, honey, is that I empathize totally with the fear and pain that you are feeling. I know it must be a scary, bleak and lonely place. I expect all secrets find the light of day eventually, and despite the consequences in the short term, we are sometimes, no, often better for it long term. I hope this proves true for you. In the meantime I am sending you everybit of cyber love and support I have. Big hugs, girl. You will get through this.
You are not alone
Sammie

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon