Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

how to ask dr for hormone tests?

Hi all,
Ok, I've been doing NBE for almost a year.
I have some small development (God I envy those who seem to have huge growth in a much shorter time!), but not too obvious unless I wear a tight shirt and even then I don't think my dr would suspect I was growing them on purpose.

Since I've been doing this for almost a year I'd really like to have my hormone levels checked. How do I ask him without explaining why?
I could certainly ask to check my T level but why would I want to be checking my E??

Julie

(25-03-2014, 02:14 AM)julie_txcd Wrote:  Hi all,
Ok, I've been doing NBE for almost a year.
I have some small development (God I envy those who seem to have huge growth in a much shorter time!), but not too obvious unless I wear a tight shirt and even then I don't think my dr would suspect I was growing them on purpose.

Since I've been doing this for almost a year I'd really like to have my hormone levels checked. How do I ask him without explaining why?
I could certainly ask to check my T level but why would I want to be checking my E??

Julie

PM's not going to show up on any estradiol test as far as I know. I don't think any phytoestrogen(plant-sourced) will. Has to be synthetic estradiol(animal-sourced) for the tests to pick it up. Just claim you feel sluggish and ask to have the T tested.

Most doctors will not check E in a male unless T is very low, he's complaining of breast pains, and he's sporting a pair of DD's. There is also the issue that insurance often will not pay for the test.

If you really want to check E, you can order the test from www.lef.org. They should be putting all their blood tests on sale in the near future. I think I paid $26 for the test last May, but I'm also a member and get discounted rates to begin with. You want a result somewhere in the range of about 21 to 30. Anything above or below is associated with increased mortality. Make sure you get any hormone tests as close to 8:00 am as possible, and no later than 10:00 am. Hormone levels are highest at 8:00 am and decline by 70% at 8:00 pm.

I was in the same situation, Julie. After 3 1/2 years I wanted to know what was going on. I checked with a local TG support group and got the name of a TG friendly doctor. I then called and made an appointment. They were a little confused at that point about what I wanted. I just explained I wanted my levels checked since I had been using herbs to change my chemistry and my junk had stopped working. There was no problem after that...tee hee.

Sarah,
i understand what you're saying about PM, but with BO wouldn't the increase in aromatase actually boost your estrogen level, theoretically?

Julie

(25-03-2014, 10:27 PM)julie_txcd Wrote:  Sarah,
i understand what you're saying about PM, but with BO wouldn't the increase in aromatase actually boost your estrogen level, theoretically?

Julie

Yes, that's correct. I stupidly assumed you were taking PM. Sorry Big Grin

In that case, and to answer your original OP...Its going to be difficult to convince a doctor to test your E levels without coming clean. Sammie's suggestion of seeking a TG friendly doctor is a good one. Its not like they're going to force you on hormones.

Hey, no problem, I've been on both BO and PM at times.

Anyone have any advice on how to find a TG-friendly dr?

I checked the provider directory on both wpath.org and glma.org - didn't find anyone close on either!

I live in the Dallas area by the way.

Julie

Look for a LGBT support group, there has to be something in the big city and they can give you a referral... Thats where I got mine and Im out here in the middle of nowhere Western SDTongue

Wow, Monika,
I checked in on lef.org - they have some great tests but you must have got a GREAT deal on your test.
Looks like the member price right now is $299!

Hope they go on sale.

Julie

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon