Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Personality Types

In college, I took a course that made us find out our personality type. Per the penultimate and ever reliable source Wikipedia, personality types are defined thusly: "The psychological classification of different types of individuals." To establish our personality type, I took the Myer-Briggs Type Indicator questionnaire which asks some basic questions. Again, from Wikipeida: "The questionnaire was designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions ... Jung theorized that there are four principal psychological functions by which we experience the world: sensation, intuition, feeling, and thinking. One of these four functions is dominant most of the time." Quoting more: "The MBTI preferences indicate the differences in people based on the following:

How they focus their attention or get their energy (extraversion or introversion)
How they perceive or take in information (sensing or intuition)
How they prefer to make decisions (thinking or feeling)
How they orient themselves to the external world (judgment or perception)

By using their preference in each of these areas, people develop what Jung and Myers called psychological type. This underlying personality pattern results from the dynamic interaction of their four preferences, in conjunction with environmental influences and their own individual tendencies. People are likely to develop behaviors, skills, and attitudes based on their particular type. Each personality type has its own potential strengths as well as areas that offer opportunities for growth.

The MBTI tool consists of multiple choice questions that sort respondents on the basis of the four "dichotomies" (pairs of psychological opposites). Sixteen different outcomes are possible, each identified by its own four-letter code, referred to by initial letters. (N is used for iNtuition, since I is used for Introversion). The MBTI is approximately 75% accurate according to its own manual."

After taking the MBTI, I found out that I am an INTJ. That is, I am more introverted than extroverted; more intuitive than sensing; more thinking than feeling; and more judging than perceiving.

I was wondering if anyone else has taken this test and, if so, what are you? The reason I ask, is I am curious to see if there are common personalities and what that could possibly mean.

If you are interested, you can take a test that's essentially the MBTI: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

What a great question, eloise! Smile

(Can you tell I'm interested in MBTI types? Wink )

I'm an INTP, and fit the stereotype for that as about as closely as you can imagine.

Michelle

ENFJ
Extravert(1%) iNtuitive(25%) Feeling(38%) Judging(44%)
You have marginal or no preference of Extraversion over Introversion (1%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (44%)

Go figure... Tongue

I'm an ISTJ.

I created two polls for the Myers-Briggs test way back when. Unfortunately, not many submitted a vote. Sad

Hopefully this thread will revive interest in these polls.

For extroverts:

http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=12593

For introverts:

http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=12592

Took the poll! Hopefully more will as well.

When I read about my type, it was bit scary how spot on it was for me: strong individualist, living in a world of concepts and ideas, Big Picture thinker, strategic long-term planner, values competence and intelligence in others, a bit arrogant and elitist, mentally quick, dislike arbitrary rules, fails to understand the nuance of social rituals, ect..

It was also cool to see famous INTJs: Vlad Putin, Paul Krugman, Donald Rumsfeld, Colin Powell, Thomas Jefferson, Calvin Coolidge, Jane Austen, William F. Buckley Jr., Issac Newton, Stephen Hawking, Ayn Rand, Niles Bohr, Bill Gates, Hillary Clinton.

INFJ
Introvert(11%) iNtuitive(50%) Feeling(25%) Judging(56%)
You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (11%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (50%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (25%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (56%)

Well, here is what my test resulted in, didn't care for the yes/no only options on some of the questions that could vary to a WIDE degree.

Quote:INTJ
Introvert(44%) iNtuitive(88%) Thinking(25%) Judging(67%)
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)
You have strong preference of Intuition over Sensing (88%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

I don't think it had the (Judging(67%)) right, i'm not a judgmental person.

(22-02-2014, 12:50 AM)Lenneth Wrote:  Well, here is what my test resulted in, didn't care for the yes/no only options on some of the questions that could vary to a WIDE degree.

Quote:INTJ
Introvert(44%) iNtuitive(88%) Thinking(25%) Judging(67%)
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)
You have strong preference of Intuition over Sensing (88%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

I don't think it had the (Judging(67%)) right, i'm not a judgmental person.

The way I think the way my brother (who was certified in this at the time) explained it to me was that Judging indicates a preference for closure on things, while Perceiving indicates a preference for keeping your options open. Does that perhaps fit?

I agree, some of the tests out there present false dichotomies; and the terminology (like J vs P) is a little odd.

Michelle

I seem to be the only extrovert...LOL
but to be fair, it was a statistical tossup with just a 1% margin
Does that mean I cant make up my mind? LOL

Flamesabres -

I took your poll when you posted it, and then took the current one. The results were quite different for each. I maybe a gemini, but still. . . .

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon