Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Gender Dysphoria

Wow, Lisa...wow...some of that...actually, a fair amount of that, might have come out of my mouth. Well done, Sis! Bravo! Lets drink to a third gender, possessing the best of both worlds...strength when it is needed, compassion and weakness when that time is right, and a courage to forge a new world. Bravo, sis! Single malt scotch all around...Drinks are on me!

(28-01-2014, 05:04 AM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  Single malt scotch all around...Drinks are on me!

Well, tonight I have switched from my usual Buffalo Trace bourbon to Crown on the rocks with a twist of lime.

Cheers my sister!

(28-01-2014, 04:57 AM)ClaraKay Wrote:  That's an interesting observation, Sammie. It does seem like it's a common aspect of the backgrounds of many here. My parents didn't split up, but they didn't have a happy marriage. I know it affected me a lot. I'm not saying it was the primary reason for my gender-variant condition, but it may have influenced it to some extent.

Don't you love the new insights we gain from just talking about this stuff? Smile

Clara

Absolutely, Clara, but I can't talk right now... I think I am more than a little "wet" still as a reaction to Lisa's last post...can't help it. Blush ooops, TMI... I guess part of Sammie is a sucker for the gallant man/woman in uniform. You didn't hear that, Lisa!!!!! LOL
Sorry, if this is icky, Sarah. Lol

(28-01-2014, 05:04 AM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  Single malt scotch all around...Drinks are on me!
Make mine root beer, thanks.
I'm already half Scotch.

I thought it might be good to try to define what 'gender dysphoria' is, or, at least, characterize the feelings and behaviors that often accompany gender dysphoria. Here's a link that provides a pretty good description of the condition:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/zinniajones/...dysphoria/

Like Lisa Lou, not everyone that is gender-variant is dysphoric. Even I prefer to call my condition 'gender dissonance'. A kind of low level anxiety that is due to my not being able to express my female gender adequately. Dr. Anne Vitale calls it Gender Expression Deprivation Anxiety Disorder (GEDAD). Sometimes the anxiety is very hard to spot because it very low level and gets lost in the other day-to-day anxieties of just living.

I hope this helps frame the problem better.

Clara Kay Smile

Maybe it's because of my mood, but I feel like I'm coming from a different place than a lot of the members who have already posted in this thread. I certainly have experienced discontentment and frustration about the mismatch between my physical appearance and my gender identity. However, I don't see it as the driving force of unhappiness in my life. My struggles with depression have made much more harrowing memories in my heart and mind. It wasn't until after I found the right medication and my symptoms started to improve that I started to pursue laser treatments and NBE.

While growing up I clearly disliked a lot of things about myself and was very insecure. I realized though despite all that, my gender identity was something I treasured. Ironically, while the mismatch between my body/mind creates some issues for me, I think my self-acceptance of my non-conforming gender identity outweighed all that negativity. When I started crossdressing in my teen years, I was very careful to keep it hidden from my family and peers. However, I didn't hate myself for wanting to crossdress, nor was it something I wanted to purge from my mind. In actuality, I enjoyed how crossdressing pushed the envelope and motivated me to be more daring. It was absolutely liberating to have an interest that pushed aside my timid and socially awkward nature. My crossdressing interest had its own set of rules. In a way, I see crossdressing as something that demonstrated I didn't have to live my life in fear, just as pm proved that my libido is not invincible.

(28-01-2014, 05:20 AM)flamesabers Wrote:  Maybe it's because of my mood, but I feel like I'm coming from a different place than a lot of the members who have already posted in this thread. I certainly have experienced discontentment and frustration about the mismatch between my physical appearance and my gender identity. However, I don't see it as the driving force of unhappiness in my life. My struggles with depression have made much more harrowing memories in my heart and mind. It wasn't until after I found the right medication and my symptoms started to improve that I started to pursue laser treatments and NBE.

While growing up I clearly disliked a lot of things about myself and was very insecure. I realized though despite all that, my gender identity was something I treasured. Ironically, while the mismatch between my body/mind creates some issues for me, I think my self-acceptance of my non-conforming gender identity outweighed all that negativity. When I started crossdressing in my teen years, I was very careful to keep it hidden from my family and peers. However, I didn't hate myself for wanting to crossdress, nor was it something I wanted to purge from my mind. In actuality, I enjoyed how crossdressing pushed the envelope and motivated me to be more daring. It was absolutely liberating to have an interest that pushed aside my timid and socially awkward nature. My crossdressing interest had its own set of rules. In a way, I see crossdressing as something that demonstrated I didn't have to live my life in fear, just as pm proved that my libido is not invincible.

Why did you think you disliked yourself, Flame? Any elaboration on the insecurity?

As I see it, the common thread is not so much the reason for the anxiety, but the anxiety itself. The anxiety can emanate from any number of circumstances that exist as a result of a sex/gender mismatch. Gender dysphoria is a mental condition that would not be there if we have a good match between our sex and internal gender sense. I believe that one's gender dysphoria becomes a question of degree ranging from inconsequential to debilitating. Am I making any sense? Huh

Clara Kay Smile

(28-01-2014, 05:15 AM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  Sorry, if this is icky, Sarah. Lol

At least you get what my definition of "icky" is.

Don't worry though, there's a ton of icky stuff in this thread, some of it added by myself. Actually, wetspots are often times the only way I even realize I'm turned on. See, that's icky too lol.

Years ago, I heard about thalidomide babies. I went to high school with one. I think I almost became one, but mom refused to let them give it to me.
As that happened in the `50's, and as I'm hearing that a LOT of "us" (TS/TG, etc.) are in our `50's and `60's, I HAVE to wonder if there was something in one of the vaccination shots we all got that has made us this way!! I KNOW there were some TS/TG's before the `50's, but we seem to be absolutely RAMPANT these days!!!! Ya can't swing a bra without hitting one!! When I was in high school, or just after that, I'd only ever heard of two people that had a sex change!! Christine Jorgenson and Walter/Wendy Carlos (Childe Harold, "Switched-On Bach"). In the last 30 years, our numbers have increased DRAMATICALLY!!!!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon