Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Another benefit of PM?

PattiJT,
Yes indeed I would consider lithotripsy, if only I could get the attention of my urologist. I have been trying for months through my NP to get an appointment to discuss various things. I have had a succession of bladder infections undoubtedly because of the stones, which recur shortly after I finish each course of antibiotics prescribed by or on the suggestion of various doctors until the NP managed to speak to the urologist shortly after I was discharged from hospital with a straightened out colon but still with a quite severe bladder infection. He suggested a six week course of Cipro, which after about thirty days of diarrhea produced what seems to have been CDAD (clostridium difficile related disease) while I was away in another province. Fortunately it responded to stopping the Cipro and stopping loperimide, but the bladder infection then showed signs of returning again. Fortunately again it seems so far this time to have been very mild, since the NP has so far been unable to contact the urologist again. The obvious course would be to look for an alternative urologist but this is easier said than done since our province is so small (750,000 population) with two separate health authorities (English and French) that the availability of urologists in any area is very limited (and it seems that the good ones tend to leave for greener pastures). My wife had a similar problem when she ran through most of the available local stock of gynecologists none of whom seemed interested in anything except unnecessary hysterectomies!

Sorry for the whine, but I am finding the situation increasingly frustrating. Clearly those stones need to go!

Annabel, have you tried cranberry or blueberry juice for the bladder infections? Both berries contain substances that make it harder for bacteria to stick to the bladder wall. It should really be pure, unsweetened juice, especially if there are blood sugar issues, as opposed to the cranberry juice cocktail that is about 25% juice mixed with sugar and water, though even that works. It might not prevent the infections, but it might reduce the frequency and duration.

Also, to counter the side effects of the antibiotics, are you ingesting anything to replace the good bacteria being killed off by the medication--yogurt, acidophilus milk, a probiotic supplement?

Yes indeed, I have been consuming large quantities of cranberry juice (NP recommended) and blueberries, and have also tried d-mannose. I'm not sure whether any of them do much good, but at least diluted un-sugared cranberry juice has a reasonably low natural sugar content and helps keep up my water intake (which does help). I also take yogurt (it is great for taking up PM powder) and probiotic capsules,as well as psyllium capsules. The only advice anyone seems able to give me on how to reduce the risk of a recurrence of the volvulus is to avoid constipation (definitely not currently a problem).

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon