Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

First Order Incoming

Agreed with morning

I now take 1000mg as soon as I wake , all the niggly pains and headaches not there now

Sometimes if I take in the day I feel light headed or what feels like an e rush

If I take at night, awful, just hot and cannot sleep

Taking with milk though is very advisable not that I do much though,

Julie

I appreciate all feedback, Julie. I know reactions are different for everyone, so I'll just have to wait and see what my own reactions are before I can make any real judgement calls on what I should do with my own regimen.

As it stands, I'm going to stick to taking one in the afternoon, and one in the evening. If that works out well enough for the first week or so, I'll keep going up.

My pet theory on the whole insulin response aspect not affecting some people as strongly or at all is that there's two major system variables involved: natural blood glucose levels and if they've got a sensitive insulin trigger.

If either of those are present: high natural blood glucose or insensitive insulin trigger, then the insulin response is weakened. If both are, then it's nearly non-existent.

Natural blood glucose levels are mainly dictated by diet. Sensitivity to it is mainly dictated by genetics.

I wouldn't suggest a high sugar diet just to weaken the insulin response though... That insulin response is an important part of your body telling you you've gone and had too damn much of something in most cases. (sugar) It's only in very strange unusual cases that certain herbs don't have much or any sugars but cause a much larger insulin response than they ought to be able to.

The various recent references to PM producing insulin responses have made me sit up and take notice. I have been taking my entire daily PM dosage shortly before breakfast - indeed since I take the powder with yogurt it is really part of my breakfast. Although my fasting glucose levels and A1C are well within the normal range without medication, I do seem to have impaired glucose tolerance. Certainly I have suffered substantial diabetic type peripheral neuropathy, something to which poor circulation in my legs and hands may have contributed. I try to limit glycemic load in my meals, but in the interests of avoiding stress to marital relationships, they certainly tend to contain some sugars and rapidly assimilated carbohydrates. I have noticed that the blood pressure meds that I also take before breakfast sometimes but not usually result in a precipitous but fairly short term drop in blood pressure (this happened even more so before I was taking PM), combined on occasion (for example when I had to miss breakfast to catch a plane) with hypoglycemic symptoms. Does this represent a problem with my PM dosage timing?

My apologies to Akai Sin if I seem to be hijacking your thread, but dose timing was part of your query, and the insulin response issues emerged in the replies.

No worries, Annabel.

In regards to what you said Abi, I actually don't incorporate a lot of sugar into my diet as is. I tend to drink a lot of soda, but when it comes to other sugary things like candy, ice cream and the like, I tend to be pretty sparse.

(05-09-2013, 01:51 AM)AnnabelP Wrote:  The various recent references to PM producing insulin responses have made me sit up and take notice. I have been taking my entire daily PM dosage shortly before breakfast - indeed since I take the powder with yogurt it is really part of my breakfast. Although my fasting glucose levels and A1C are well within the normal range without medication, I do seem to have impaired glucose tolerance. Certainly I have suffered substantial diabetic type peripheral neuropathy, something to which poor circulation in my legs and hands may have contributed. I try to limit glycemic load in my meals, but in the interests of avoiding stress to marital relationships, they certainly tend to contain some sugars and rapidly assimilated carbohydrates. I have noticed that the blood pressure meds that I also take before breakfast sometimes but not usually result in a precipitous but fairly short term drop in blood pressure (this happened even more so before I was taking PM), combined on occasion (for example when I had to miss breakfast to catch a plane) with hypoglycemic symptoms. Does this represent a problem with my PM dosage timing?

My apologies to Akai Sin if I seem to be hijacking your thread, but dose timing was part of your query, and the insulin response issues emerged in the replies.

Instead of taking your powder mixed IN yoghurt, I'd suggest mixing it with just plain pure water (or tap if you don't have a filter, just no other additives!) and eating the yoghurt 10-15 minutes later. Or whatever the timing's been for the response. Whatever that timing's BEEN, is probably close to what it'll BE, and that's when you need to introduce some glucose to balance the insulin.

This is what I do, basically. Though I do also mix in my cleansing mud with the water. It's barely like a quarter cup or less water, my PM, and my mud.

I find that the powder is quite difficult to wet, and something viscous like yogurt does a much better job in taking it up than water (Greek yogurt is too thick); possibly your mud provides the same function. Perhaps I should use only plain yogurt and in smaller quantity so as to minimize sugar content until later, rather than using fruit yogurt with a couple of extra spoonfuls to take away the taste. One of the benefits of retirement is that our breakfasts are a fairly light but leisurely affair usually ending up, for me, with fruit.

(06-09-2013, 11:05 AM)AnnabelP Wrote:  I find that the powder is quite difficult to wet, and something viscous like yogurt does a much better job in taking it up than water (Greek yogurt is too thick); possibly your mud provides the same function. Perhaps I should use only plain yogurt and in smaller quantity so as to minimize sugar content until later, rather than using fruit yogurt with a couple of extra spoonfuls to take away the taste. One of the benefits of retirement is that our breakfasts are a fairly light but leisurely affair usually ending up, for me, with fruit.

Actually I didn't take into consideration the difference between powder and liquid. My PM's a highly concentrated liquid.

I'm not sure what you can mix it with to avoid the sugar... There's gotta be something with the viscosity and no sugars. Even plain gurts have pretty substantial sugar content.

I was looking at various products in the supermarket today, and reckon that by careful selection of products I can at least get down to less than 1 gram of sugars in the amount needed to take up the PM powder. I'll see how it goes using a tsatziki that I bought. Another possibility is mayonnaise.

Having experimented a bit, I find that I can wet up to four grams of PM powder with no more than a generous teaspoonful of natural yogurt (milk, cream and active bacterial culture only), which contains only about quarter of a gram of sugars and no added carbs.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon