Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Any benefit to fasting and then binging?

If PM and Maca are helping tell the body where to put the fat would it help to starve yourself and then eat a bunch of junk to gain weight? The thought being is that when you starve and then get food your body stores the fat, and with PM it would build the fat on your boobs.

Has anyone stopped PM for 3 days or more cold turkey and then shocked the body with a triple dose to try and stimulate or trick the fat deposits?

(27-01-2012, 01:23 AM)JennyA Wrote:  If PM and Maca are helping tell the body where to put the fat would it help to starve yourself and then eat a bunch of junk to gain weight? The thought being is that when you starve and then get food your body stores the fat, and with PM it would build the fat on your boobs.

Has anyone stopped PM for 3 days or more cold turkey and then shocked the body with a triple dose to try and stimulate or trick the fat deposits?

My opinion is that in principle you've got the right idea, but fasting and binging won't work at all.

(skip down to **** below for reasoning)

Fat doesn't move around. It's sits there and waits to be burned for energy.

If you want to "relocate" where your fat deposits itself, you will first have to lose all the fat you have stored. That means a sensible, planned, diet. I lost 30 lbs, but it's taken me 2 years. I mean to lose another 10.

When you have a completely flat tummy, then, theoretically, if you put some pounds back on, it should find its way to more feminine locations.

The risk is that fat may preferentially go back to pre-stretched fat cells.

If it does, before gradually increasing weight, get yourself fitted with a reasonably tight waist corset and keep it on while your weight increases. I don't know if it would definitely work, but I don't see why it wouldn't, as long as the weight gain was gradual enough.

Failing all of the above, there is liposuction, expensive and risky.

B.

Although you put weight on quickly by binging, fasting is definitely not the opposite. There is no way to lose significant weight quickly and, importantly, healthily.

Our metabolism evolved in a very different world where food was scarce.
Any ounce of food that isn't needed for repair or energy will convert to fat if at all possible. This is for storage against hunger.

You only use that fat as a last resort. First, your metabolism slows down so that you require less energy. You become sluggish. Only when (on normal, calorie-controlled diets) you feel hungry but don't eat enough to not feel hungry will your body burn fat. You can help this to an extent by exercise, but the willpower required to resist hunger discourages exercise, and hunger-based diets usually fail.

Fasting starts off by losing weight via fluids. If you don't eat enough starches and sugars to metabolise your stored fats (30g/day), your body will convert muscle (including cardiac muscle) and leave your fats alone.

A better way to burn fat as quickly and healthily as possible is to fool this system by restricting the foods that are energy rich, but eating as much as the other kind as you need to stop feeling hungry.

Since your body must have energy to survive, if you only eat enough carbs to burn the fat, that's what happens.

You've probably heard of low-carb diets. Google for info.

(27-01-2012, 01:23 AM)JennyA Wrote:  If PM and Maca are helping tell the body where to put the fat would it help to starve yourself and then eat a bunch of junk to gain weight? The thought being is that when you starve and then get food your body stores the fat, and with PM it would build the fat on your boobs.

To answer your question, I've more or less done that several times, although not for that reason. I've gone from 1 or 2 x500mg straight to 6 x500mg at the beginning of the month for about 6 months in a row, didn't make any difference to fat deposits.

However in general I agree with Bryony, especially about bingeing and starving, that wont do your body any good at all. I started taking maca about 3 weeks ago and then after a week I realised that since I'm trying to lose weight, it was pointless taking something to gain it at the same time! As it is, I've lost about 6lbs in 3 weeks and I have about another 5 or 6 to go, which may not sound much, but it's ALL on my waist. I used to wear a tight laced corset all the time and when I get back to the 150-155lb range ( or belowBig Grin ), I shall start wearing it again - it may or may not be coincidence that I started to put on the extra 10-12lb when I stopped wearing the corset.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon