Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Any experience with doctors' reaction?

This is just a random thought, but it kinda had me wondering. I've had a handful of doctor visits in the past month or so. Now I've only recently began NBE so it isn't quite noticeable yet, but I was wondering if any of you guys that are farther along have ever been asked about your breasts by a doctor. I know with mine even for a regular check up they reach inside your shirt to listen to your heart beat etc... And I can't help but think that eventually it may be something I have to tell my doc about, as I know there are other serious medical conditions that can cause breast growth in men. I wouldn't want her jumping the gun and ordering unecessary tests, but I'm also a bit shy about admitting what I am doing and why. I just don't want to have to explain myself or justify my decision. Any of you have any thoughts/input/experience with this?

Hello blackhawk.

I haven't had to deal with this yet but it is something that has crossed my mind. Hopefully your doctor is non-judgmental and a professional. If she asks about them, it's quite possible she will be very considerate with her inquiry. After all, she might think you're simply a guy who is unintentionally growing breasts and are embarrassed by the growth. If you don't express any concern about your breasts, I don't think she's going to say anything about them unless she has reason to think you may have a serious medical condition. I don't see how/why she would order tests without your approval unless you're suffering from a dire illness or injury.

If all else fails, you could say your insurance won't cover any treatments or tests for gynecomastia. I think this is true with most insurance companies anyway, especially if the gynecomastia is benign. If I'm not mistaken, unless it's medically necessary, gynecomastia treatments are considered cosmetic by insurance companies.

That's very true I hadn't thought about that. The only reason I even mention it is because she is my regular doctor so she will "see" the changes as they happen. I'm perfectly ok and comfortable with what I'm doing, its just not something I can really explain or care to try and rationalize with others. I just have this fear of having to tell her its intentional, and then having to listen to a lecture about hormones or be recommended to see a psychologist about gender dysmorphia or whatever it is they want you to do before HRT. Just a headache I would rather avoid. I know it would just be out of her concern for my health, but if I don't bring it up, I'd rather her not either ya know

Depending on your situation, you might not have the same regular doctor for the next few years. My last regular doctor transferred to a different division, so I've had a different doctor assigned to me. Because my health has been okay as of late, I haven't met with this different doctor yet.

Ideally you shouldn't have to explain or rationalize your decision to grow breasts to your doctor. If she has good reason to suspect you may have a serious medical condition, it's her obligation as a doctor to investigate the matter. However, that doesn't mean she should be lecturing you or probing why you decided to grow breasts. If worst comes to worst, I suggest switching to a different doctor.

I actually like her, my worries may be a little unfounded, I just didn't know how anyone else's experiences had been. I guess my biggest goal is to continue on and get to a point where it will be noticeable enough to worry about lol... By the way, I havn't seen a whole lot of changes yet, but I have a great deal of soreness/tenderness under the nipples that's been there constant for about a week now.... does that indicate that I'm on the right track? Its been a kinda exciting pain if that makes sense, the soreness sucks, but I'm excited to feel something

Soreness, tenderness and pain are all typical signs that you're on the right track. I know what you mean when you say the pain is exciting but it's still pain nonetheless. Big Grin

What's your NBE regime and how long have you been pursuing it?

I am taking 3000mg ainterol PM (3 in the morning and evening) and 960mg of saw palmetto extract (3 in the morning and evening). I've been on the PM for about 3 months but just started the saw palmetto extract a few weeks ago to help drop DHT and that seemed to do the trick. Hopefully things will speed up a little from here.

(19-10-2012, 04:19 AM)blackhawk Wrote:  This is just a random thought, but it kinda had me wondering. I've had a handful of doctor visits in the past month or so. Now I've only recently began NBE so it isn't quite noticeable yet, but I was wondering if any of you guys that are farther along have ever been asked about your breasts by a doctor. I know with mine even for a regular check up they reach inside your shirt to listen to your heart beat etc... And I can't help but think that eventually it may be something I have to tell my doc about, as I know there are other serious medical conditions that can cause breast growth in men. I wouldn't want her jumping the gun and ordering unecessary tests, but I'm also a bit shy about admitting what I am doing and why. I just don't want to have to explain myself or justify my decision. Any of you have any thoughts/input/experience with this?

About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with gynecomastia. So hopefully my Doc will think it is just that.

I think the OP has a legitimate concern, even though gynecomastia is relatively common (supposedly 60% of males will experience some degree of gynecomastia at some point in their lives.) Age is also a consideration since 'gyne' is more prevalent in males around puberty and age 50 and older.

There actually are a number of nasty things that can cause gynecomastia in a males, with prolactinoma and liver tumors being two of the primary ones. Blood tests are routine screening tests for both. MRI's or CT scans are used to verify the presence and size of suspected tumors.

Hypogonadism also often accompanies gynecomastia in males, and most men would be very concerned about this condition, so your physician may be assuming you at least want blood tests done to get to the bottom of that condition, if you present with the correct signs (decreased function of your junk and atrophy of your testicles.) Again, your doctor will be thinking of ruling out possible differential diagnoses that can result in hypogonadism many of which are quite nasty.

Once all the nasties have been ruled out in your doctor's mind, I would expect them to be quite professional about what they assume is ideopathic gynecomastia, which is, after all relatively common.

Hope this helps.

Yea my doc is very professional and I didn't mean to make her sound bad if it came out that way, I know she would just be doing her job by looking into the changes that to her knowledge have no apparent reason to be happening, especially since I'm 24. Everything downstairs is still very much functional, the PM hasn't effected that at all even at 3000mg p/d, which I'm excited about since I do not wish to actually transition. If she were to order blood tests to rule out negative conditions, would the elevated estrogen &/or low T show in those results, or does that have to be checked for specifically? And if there is still functionality and no atrophy, do you think that would be enough for her to not even bother with the tests? Sorry for all the questions, just been something that's weighed on my mind a bit lately

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon