Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

HRT and Surgery?

Something`s been playing on my mind for a while now, so I figured i`ll ask now and get it out the way rather than a last minute thing.
Before SRS or any other type of surgery, you`re rquired to stop taking you HRT for 6 weeks beforehand to prevent clotting etc...
now the thought of that, scares me even more than the sugery itself does!

So I was thinking, would going back to PM and SP during those 6 weeks at a dose high enough just to maintain my sanity be dangerous at all?
I know I would pass any blood test looking for E, and it`s unlikely they test for T as it`s not contra-indicated, but is there a clotting risk like with E?
or maybe even stay on my Spiro and Fin blockers and just take PM instead of the E?

if i can get this cleared up in my head then it`ll be one less thing to worry about before the day arrives! Smile xx

Hi Katie,
I think your best answer would come from your surgeon, or gender doctor.
This is a pretty big deal and personally I'd like the view of the expert.
Not that we are not a smart bunch of girls here...but its nice to have a professional opinion
Bobbi
And when you do get the right answer make sure to let us know!

When I went on PM, many of the places that were more scientific than a sales point always stated, that PM is estrogenic in nature, as much as Estrogen is....  It's just that Estrogen is stronger and more reliable in does rate due to Pharm Regulations.

I would say follow what your doctor suggests....  Don't take a chance.  Remember, till recently everyone thought St. Johns Wart was relatively safe......  But in the last 10+ years everyone is telling of the dangers using that with most medications.  Either cause it cuts the effectiveness of the drug, or increases the effectiveness of the drug....

So please be a good girl, and seek guidance from people who should know about such things!

Hi Katie,

I have been meaning to reply to your post about HRT and surgery.

I can understand your concern stopping your HRT before your surgery, I also highly recommend you follow your surgeons and gender doctors recommendations, 6 weeks prior to surgery does seem like a long time from what I can see from most surgeons practice in the US anything over 4 weeks seems extreme, often 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks post surgery.

I have had both hips replaced with total hip replacement surgery which I had amazing minimally invasive surgery which I recovered from very quickly, but it was still a 4-6 hour procedure to get into my hip joints and remove the old bone and joint and install titanium/ceramic/polyurethane prosthetic and put it all back together again.  In addition to stopping HRT, my surgeon also had me stop aspirin, ibuprofen products, vitamin E and herbal supplements.  That was not because of clotting risk, but bleeding risk or lack of clotting with the surgery with NSAIDs having blood thinning properties.  I am sure your surgeon will probably put you on some anti-clotting meds after the surgery at least until you are able to be mobile again so that you no longer have a clotting risk.

So I stopped any HRT myself before and after the surgery, stopping the Ibuprofen was harder for me since my cartilage had completely worn away and my hips were bone on bone which for me deteriorated exponentially fast once they wore out.  I had my left hip replaced in May 2014 and right hip replaced December 2016.

I recommend discussing any questions/concerns you have with your doctors and how to deal with the expected side affects from stopping HRT cold turkey, perhaps you could do a gradual reduction over the 6 week period to allow your body to adjust more gradually.

Darlene

Aspirin, yes of course! i`m on a daily low dose (75mg) aspirin as part of my HRT, i`ll have to stop that too, thanks!
I think the main concern with asking the sugeon is that they will say no outright with out any consideration of what i`m asking, most docs have no clue what PM is, so will dismiss it outright and just say "No" to be on the safe side, rather than look into it and make an informed choice, perhaps if i refered to it as a Phytoestrogen (that we have some everyday foods anyway), they may be more inclined to say; go for it!?
Eitherway I`m still taking my finasteride regardless what they say, I`m not risking the loss of all the gains I`v made to my hairline.

and Aria; I`m Always a good girl! anything else is just lies and vicious rumors! Cool xx

This always baffles me .. Bio-identical hormones are no more of a risk than anything produced by a bio-female. ( particularly  injections ) They dont block female hormones before surgery.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon