Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Astaxanthin revisited

Astaxanthin,
Hi all,
Just trying to get a few notes on this
Has anybody used it and did you attribute breast growth too it ?
Did it alter your thought patterns in any way ?
Reason I ask is that I started using it almost 2 years ago as I was going on holiday so thought it good for skin protection which it is, but after 3-4 weeks use, my breast started growing again, which then kicked off the last 12 months back again on PM.
Now this weekend I had rather a pink fog flurry moment and tbf got a little panicked at the obsessional hum of TG thoughts ,
Then chatting to a beautiful TG girl here, she had same , and she also floated off in pink fog moments , so its now got me wondering is this substance a little more powerfull than perhaps we credit it ?
I know it’s a super antioxidant , but what exactly does it do too our hormone levels or does it affect systems elsewhere,
Julie

How much do you use ????

I added it into the mix, I only take 1 x4mg tab twice a day, cannot say I feel any different than normal. I'm on my third bottle now.

4mg

Julie

But Julie, we were chatting about astaxanthine together... Oh, thank you for calling me beautiful ;-)

Now back to the topic. When I tried 8 mg astaxanthine a day I sunk into a really dense pink fog with constant hum of obsessive thoughts about femininity.

Maybe it is not only about hormones. It is possible that astaxanthine as an antioxidant is able to alter metabolism of monoaminergic neurotransmitters, for example serotonine, and thus indirectly lead to changes in thought patterns. Well, it is just an idea...

Poly

Lol
And there was me trying to be discreet

Yes you are beautiful poli , very

Julie

X

Astaxanthin inhibits DHT, free radicals, cancer, radiation, diabetes and protects DNA.. Maybe 8-12 mg is too much, the study demostrated (in vitro) .3 mg was to inhibit DHT @ 99% (type II most likely). I found in further studies that astaxanthin inhibits DHT while promoting T. In other words, an ideal scenario for pro-aromatase (increased estrogen), though incombination with a pro-aromatase. So, maybe 2mg -4mg would be a good starting dose.

(06-02-2016, 05:29 AM)Lotus Wrote:  A preliminary investigation of the enzymatic inhibition of 5alpha-reduction and growth of prostatic carcinoma cell line LNCap-FGC by natural astaxanthin and Saw Palmetto lipid extract in vitro.

J Herb Pharmacother. 2005;5(1):17-26.
Abstract
Inhibition of 5alpha-reductase has been reported to decrease the symptoms of benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) and possibly inhibit or help treat prostate cancer. Saw Palmetto berry lipid extract (SPLE) is reported to inhibit 5alpha-reductase and decrease the clinical symptoms of BPH. Epidemiologic studies report that carotenoids such as lycopene may inhibit prostate cancer. In this investigation the effect of the carotenoid astaxanthin, and SPLE were examined for their effect on 5alpha-reductase inhibition as well as the growth of prostatic carcinoma cells in vitro. These studies support patent #6,277,417 B1. The results show astaxanthin demonstrated 98% inhibition of 5alpha-reductase at 300 microg/mL in vitro. Alphastat, the combination of astaxanthin and SPLE, showed a 20% greater inhibition of 5alpha-reductase than SPLE alone n vitro. A nine day treatment of prostatic carcinoma cells with astaxanthin in vitro produced a 24% decrease in growth at 0.1 mcg/mL and a 38% decrease at 0.01 mcg/mL. SPLE showed a 34% decrease at 0.1 mcg/mL.
CONCLUSIONS: Low levels of carotenoid astaxanthin inhibit 5alpha-reductase and decrease the growth of human prostatic cancer cells in vitro. Astaxanthin added to SPLE shows greater inhibition of 5alpha-reductase than SPLE alone in vitro.

PMID 16093232 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Anti-cancer potential of flavonoids: recent trends and future perspectives
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3824783/

Hi lotus

Would that explain why I have seen growth over the last 2 weeks , but have felt very horny also

It's been like a low level turned on ?
All the time

Julie

(22-09-2016, 10:04 PM)julieTG Wrote:  Hi lotus

Would that explain why I have seen growth over the last 2 weeks , but have felt very horny also

It's been like a low level turned on ?
All the time

Julie

Quite possible, the further studies indicate astaxathin promotes (or protects) male fertility (aka sperm). it reminds me of an erectle dysfunction med (without the high blood pressure, or strain to the heart). Meaning astaxathin lowers LDL cholesterol and promotes energy production, in large part in mitochondria (the protection of DNA). So, maybe this also means help with combatting chronic fatigue.....help w/preventing dementia was also mentioned in other studies. Part of astaxanthin comes from its carotenoids ingredient. Think tomato juice for NBE too (carotenoids).

Here's a write up on this on Examine.com (great resource, and this is not even one of their better/completed articles).

When I've looked at this supplement before, it was in relation to antioxidants and their role in vision.

https://examine.com/supplements/astaxanthin/

10.1. Testosterone
A combination of Astaxanthin and Saw Palmetto has been shown to increase testosterone while decreasing Dihydrotestosterone via inhibiting the 5-alpha reductase enzyme, at a dose of 800mg.[81] Both compounds seem to be able to inhibit 5-AR independently.[82]
A study in infertile men (16mg astaxanthin for three months) has failed to note an increase in serum testosterone relative to baseline and placebo treatments.[83]

10.2. Estrogen
Astaxanthin has been implicated in reducing serum levels of estradiol in humans when supplemented in conjunction with Saw Palmetto at 2000mg daily.[81]

(03-11-2016, 02:41 AM)VergeOfDiscovery Wrote:  Here's a write up on this on Examine.com (great resource, and this is not even one of their better/completed articles).

When I've looked at this supplement before, it was in relation to antioxidants and their role in vision.

https://examine.com/supplements/astaxanthin/

10.1. Testosterone
A combination of Astaxanthin and Saw Palmetto has been shown to increase testosterone while decreasing Dihydrotestosterone via inhibiting the 5-alpha reductase enzyme, at a dose of 800mg.[81] Both compounds seem to be able to inhibit 5-AR independently.[82]
A study in infertile men (16mg astaxanthin for three months) has failed to note an increase in serum testosterone relative to baseline and placebo treatments.[83]

10.2. Estrogen
Astaxanthin has been implicated in reducing serum levels of estradiol in humans when supplemented in conjunction with Saw Palmetto at 2000mg daily.[81]

10.2, as I recall SP will do that on its own too.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon