Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Went to the Informed Consent Clinic Yesterday

I went to the Informed Consent clinic Saturday morning for my appointment. They were very professional and the whole process was relatively painless. Except for my blood pressure which was high (135/78) on first take because my anxiety level was through the roof. Checked again 10 minutes later (after I calmed down some) and it was 122/75 which is still high for me. My norm is closer to 96/66.

After talking things over with the clinician I was given a physical and had blood drawn. They don't deal with my insurance company so it cost me about $275.00. In hindsight I could have had the physical at my doc and saved some money, but it still would have been $150.00 for the initial deductible plus the hassle of delaying the whole thing.

She stated the blood work should be back Tuesday and she will contact me with the results. After loosing 100lbs over the last 2 years and eating a vegan whole food diet for over a year I expect the results to be fine. With any luck she will fax the prescription to my insurance plan's mail-in pharmacy. A 90 day supply of either generic (estradiol or spironolactone) is $0 dollars. The ins. plan states that each drug is cleared for my use with no need for added paperwork justifying the same. So in the long run it should be much cheaper than herbs and I needed the new blood work to compare to previous levels from years back.

Since I expressed a desire to start out slow and I am in my mid-fifties I will be taking .5mg of estradiol twice a day sublingually (under the tongue) per her directions and I believe 50mg of spironolactone twice a day orally. She said we will slowly progress up to a maximum of 6mg a day of estradiol if I wish to progress to that level. The decision (obviously) is completely up to me.

She understands that at this point I have no plans to socially transition to female. I, however, have no objection to taking on a more female like presentation. That said I hate shaving and usually only shave my face every 4-6 weeks. So presenting as male should rarely be a problem. Then again in 7-9 years when I retire I may feel differently.

congrats! Smile hope it works out well!

Awesome Hopeful! Please keep us updated.

Great!!!

I've often wondered that myself, if a low dose of HRT meds would be easier on the wallet.

Thanks everyone.

(30-11-2015, 11:21 AM)jannet.duff Wrote:  Great!!!

I've often wondered that myself, if a low dose of HRT meds would be easier on the wallet.

Since the HRT is generic no matter what the dose the estradiol and spironolactone are completely covered.

As far as the labs are concerned she told me that I won't require anything close to the full blood work they did last Saturday the next time I am there. Since spironolactone is a potassium sparing diuretic I think the potassium/sodium levels may be the only thing required. She doesn't typically check T or E unless symptoms or results indicate the need.

The last time I used herbs many years back and many pounds heavier I occasionally had mild lower back pain (kidney?) also you can never be sure what is in any given supplement. So, since informed consent exists this time, I decided to give the system a try.

I'll keep y'all updated as time goes on.

(30-11-2015, 11:21 AM)jannet.duff Wrote:  I've often wondered that myself, if a low dose of HRT meds would be easier on the wallet.

I forgot one thing, most folks use their insurance at this clinic for the physical so they just pay the copay amount. After all most insurance plans allow for a periodic physical. My insurance is via the government which I suspect is one reason the clinic has been unsuccessful with using them.

The results of my blood tests came back and everything was excellent. My total cholesterol was down to 160, my goal is below 150 but I'll take it. She said she'll fax in the prescription. This is the end of day 2 and I haven't seen the pharmacy acknowledge the receipt of the fax yet. I'm going to give her a call tomorrow and see if she did fax in the script.

This is the first time using the mail-in pharmacy so I don't know what to expect. Either way it is a step closer.

Because of this post, I finally got the balls to call my local clinic to schedule an appointment! Thank you!

(07-12-2015, 02:28 AM)SkyeBlu Wrote:  Because of this post, I finally got the balls to call my local clinic to schedule an appointment! Thank you!

That is great, best of luck to you. Just make sure you know exactly what you're getting into. Here is an example informed consent form.

My script was faxed in on the 4th. After typical bureaucratic hiccups and some back and forth with the doctor the mail in pharmacy actually placed the script in the mail late on the 8th. The script actually left Phoenix, AZ 5am on the 9th so maybe they'll arrive before the weekend.

This was my first experience with the mail-in pharmacy, but if I didn't use it at some point in the future (because this will be a reoccurring prescription) I would end up having to foot the entire cost to keep using a local pharmacy. As expected the total cost is $0.00.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon