Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Project X (hrt)

(19-01-2015, 01:42 AM)Lotus Wrote:  
(19-01-2015, 01:32 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  
(19-01-2015, 01:06 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Borage oil and flaxseed oil seem to be a good fit for those concerned about fish oil.

goodness you are right. Of course it's plant based. The ratio is 3:1 6 vs 3 and states this is a naturally occurring ratio. So it seems we should be higher in 6 vs 3... the healthy 6 of course. Hmm OK well Borage vs fish might be a go then. Thanks I always thought the ratio of 3 was meant to be highest

Yes the ratio should favor omega 3's, and there's definelty conflicting data, but from my understanding it should be at a 1:1 ratio, the epidemic of trans fat in our diet is why.

Ok, this part can be skipped over, but this is why PUFA's are beneficial

PUFA have been known for nearly 40 years to uniquely suppress lipid synthesis. PUFA, particularly n-3, accomplish this by coordinating an upregulation of lipid oxidation and a downregulation of lipid synthesis. In other words, PUFA function as metabolic fuel “repartitioners.” Such fuel repartitioning may protect cells against the accelerated rates of apoptosis reportedly observed with excessive triglyceride accumulation (12, 25). PUFA exert their effects on metabolic pathways by governing the DNA binding activity and nuclear abundance of select transcription factors responsible for regulating the expression of genes encoding key regulatory proteins of lipid and glucose metabolism. With respect to their role in fatty acid oxidation, PUFA increase the fatty acid oxidative capacity of tissues through their ability to function as ligand activators of PPAR-α and thereby induce the transcription of several genes encoding proteins affiliated with fatty acid oxidation. On the other hand, PUFA suppress lipid synthesis by inhibiting transcription factors that mediate the insulin and carbohydrate control of lipogenic and glycolytic genes. In this regard, PUFA rapidly generate an intracellular signal that immediately suppresses the proteolytic release-

Molecular mechanism for polyunsaturated fatty acid regulation of gene transcription
http://ajpgi.physiology.org/content/281/4/G865

(19-01-2015, 02:02 AM)Lotus Wrote:  
(19-01-2015, 01:06 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Borage oil and flaxseed oil seem to be a good fit for those concerned about fish oil.

goodness you are right. Of course it's plant based. The ratio is 3:1 6 vs 3 and states this is a naturally occurring ratio. So it seems we should be higher in 6 vs 3... the healthy 6 of course. Hmm OK well Borage vs fish might be a go then. Thanks I always thought the ratio of 3 was meant to be highest

Yes the ratio should favor omega 3's, and there's definelty conflicting data, but from my understanding it should be at a 1:1 ratio, the epidemic of trans fat in our diet is why.

PUFA have been known for nearly 40 years to uniquely suppress lipid synthesis. PUFA, particularly n-3, accomplish this by coordinating an upregulation of lipid oxidation and a downregulation of lipid synthesis. In other words, PUFA function as metabolic fuel “repartitioners.” Such fuel repartitioning may protect cells against the accelerated rates of apoptosis reportedly observed with excessive triglyceride accumulation (12, 25). PUFA exert their effects on metabolic pathways by governing the DNA binding activity and nuclear abundance of select transcription factors responsible for regulating the expression of genes encoding key regulatory proteins of lipid and glucose metabolism. With respect to their role in fatty acid oxidation, PUFA increase the fatty acid oxidative capacity of tissues through their ability to function as ligand activators of PPAR-α and thereby induce the transcription of several genes encoding proteins affiliated with fatty acid oxidation. On the other hand, PUFA suppress lipid synthesis by inhibiting transcription factors that mediate the insulin and carbohydrate control of lipogenic and glycolytic genes. In this regard, PUFA rapidly generate an intracellular signal that immediately suppresses the proteolytic release-

Molecular mechanism for polyunsaturated fatty acid regulation of gene transcription

Wow that went RIGHT over my head sorry :so

I do tend to agree on the 1:1 ratio tbh. . I'd be tending not to go OTT with either higher than the other.
I do know (well have been told) that higher doses are required to combat inflammation, like in the 6000mg range. .
Although it sounds a high amount of fatty acids it'd be interesting to see how much fish and the equivalent in mgs the average say Japanese persons eat cause much like iodine their dosages supersede any rdi the western world recommends!

Thanks Lotus, so I will continue taking Reishi. Smile

(19-01-2015, 02:27 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  

I do tend to agree on the 1:1 ratio tbh. . I'd be tending not to go OTT with either higher than the other.
I do know (well have been told) that higher doses are required to combat inflammation, like in the 6000mg range. .
Although it sounds a high amount of fatty acids it'd be interesting to see how much fish and the equivalent in mgs the average say Japanese persons eat cause much like iodine their dosages supersede any rdi the western world recommends!

Ella,
That part I'm not sure (fish levels vs western world), although its reported that Japanese women have about 40% less E2 concentrations vs caucasian women, which also equates to 3 fold less incidence of breast cancer.

Your welcome Peggy. Big Grin

(19-01-2015, 07:53 AM)Lotus Wrote:  
(19-01-2015, 01:32 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  goodness you are right. Of course it's plant based. The ratio is 3:1 6 vs 3 and states this is a naturally occurring ratio. So it seems we should be higher in 6 vs 3... the healthy 6 of course. Hmm OK well Borage vs fish might be a go then. Thanks I always thought the ratio of 3 was meant to be highest

Ella,
That part I'm not sure (fish levels vs western world), although its reported that Japanese women have about 40% less E2 concentrations vs caucasian women, which also equates to 3 fold less incidence of breast cancer.

That's cause they have functioning thyroids and don't eat everything outta bloody plastic MTF. ... Big Grin

And if I turn INTO a fish or get REALLY fat then we'l know high dose omegas aren't recommended. .. Cool

(19-01-2015, 07:55 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  
(19-01-2015, 07:53 AM)Lotus Wrote:  
(19-01-2015, 01:42 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Yes the ratio should favor omega 3's, and there's definelty conflicting data, but from my understanding it should be at a 1:1 ratio, the epidemic of trans fat in our diet is why.

Ella,

That's cause they have functioning thyroids and don't eat everything outta bloody plastic MTF. ... Big Grin

Dam sh*#, why didn't we think of that. Rolleyes

I saw one site that sells test kits for omega 3 and 6.

(19-01-2015, 08:04 AM)Lotus Wrote:  I saw one site that sells test kits for omega 3 and 6.

as in test your body? I eat very little fish even after being a fishing enthusiast so supplements are my only option.

I put on another kg so maybe the omegas are doing it! Not that I mind Smile

(19-01-2015, 08:08 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  
(19-01-2015, 08:04 AM)Lotus Wrote:  I saw one site that sells test kits for omega 3 and 6.

as in test your body? I eat very little fish even after being a fishing enthusiast so supplements are my only option.

I put on another kg so maybe the omegas are doing it! Not that I mind Smile

Then you definitely have your sea legs if you added weight lol after being out in the ocean fishing. Cool

Captain Ella (or skipper) Smile

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon