Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

peppermint tea

Hi!

I know I'm not biologically male, but thought I'd add my two cents here anyways! I have had serious acne and other symptoms from high DHT, and so first I tried drinking spearmint tea, and was drinking 1 cup 3 times a day, which was working GREAT for me. My face was clear in about a week!
Then after a couple months of that, I started to get severe pain in my esophagus every time I swallowed anything, and then realized it was the mint tea, so I stopped that completely and the pain went away. I tested it again after a week or two, and the same pain came back immediately. So just be aware if you do get any throat discomfort, it might be the tea. I think it can relax the lower muscles of the esophagus, also causing increased acid reflux.
But other than that, I found it to be very effective for me (even though I probably don't have anywhere near male levels of testosterone), even more effective than saw palmetto which is what I've been using lately. I might have to try chinese skullcap that Abidrew mentioned.
Good luck with pepper/spear-mint!

(17-10-2012, 06:40 AM)gilly Wrote:  Then after a couple months of that, I started to get severe pain in my esophagus every time I swallowed anything, and then realized it was the mint tea, so I stopped that completely and the pain went away. I tested it again after a week or two, and the same pain came back immediately. So just be aware if you do get any throat discomfort, it might be the tea. I think it can relax the lower muscles of the esophagus, also causing increased acid reflux.

Sounds more like a Allergic Reaction to either the mint or something else that may have been in with it as well.

I have a similar reaction when I am near farms that are harvesting alfalfa and creating a heavy alfalfa pollen dust in the air.

(17-10-2012, 12:57 AM)chrishoney Wrote:  I had trouble finding spearmint locally too--only the local food co-op had it and it was VERY pricey.

Odd, I can buy it in 1/2lb bags locally mysellf for about $2.50 a bag, good quality leafs to.

(17-10-2012, 06:40 AM)gilly Wrote:  Hi!

I know I'm not biologically male ... snip ... I might have to try chinese skullcap that Abidrew mentioned.

BE CAREFUL! I suggested it under the assumption of a male user! Chinese skullcap ACTUALLY blocks the reduction pathway from androsteniodone to testosterone, HOWEVER, this same pathway also exists from estrone to estradiol!

What I'm saying here is that the same enzyme that reduces androgens ALSO reduces estrogens at that stage. If you block that reduction enzyme in a male? No big deal, we don't produce enough estrogens anyways. If you block it in females? BIG CHANCE you could end up estrone dominant. AND THERE'D BE NO WAY TO KNOW! Except through a hormone test.

And in case you weren't aware, estrone dominance has no outward manifestations, but over time, excessive estrone binding to your estrogen receptors can cause CANCER!

So I repeat... females considering chinese skullcap should be VERY CAREFUL.

You might still be able to try it..... but... just be aware of exactly what it'd be doing and be CAREFUL!

For whatever reason, it seems to affect the biosynthesis of testosterone more immediately than of estradiol, but it could still be dangerous.

EDIT: BTW, I was really really excessive in my T levels, so I'm actually using both DHT suppressing SP and T suppressing CS in concert... Not everyone needs both, even bio males, and not everyone that might need both will need as much as me.

(17-10-2012, 07:23 AM)Lenneth Wrote:  
(17-10-2012, 06:40 AM)gilly Wrote:  Then after a couple months of that, I started to get severe pain in my esophagus every time I swallowed anything, and then realized it was the mint tea, so I stopped that completely and the pain went away. I tested it again after a week or two, and the same pain came back immediately. So just be aware if you do get any throat discomfort, it might be the tea. I think it can relax the lower muscles of the esophagus, also causing increased acid reflux.

Sounds more like a Allergic Reaction to either the mint or something else that may have been in with it as well.

I have a similar reaction when I am near farms that are harvesting alfalfa and creating a heavy alfalfa pollen dust in the air.

I agree with Lenneth on this one. This sounds like you developed a mint allergy. It may not be a severe enough one that more typical concentrations of mint (IE: mint-flavored chewing gums and/or toothpaste) will effect you. Me, I have a severe allergy. I can't even use mint-flavored toothpaste. Never have.

I agree, it might have been an allergic reaction (just my luck), but I do know that mint teas etc are not recommended for those prone to acid reflux because it relaxes the lower muscles in the esophagus, which I'm guessing can also lead to pain when trying to swallow. Really uncomfortable anyway.

Thanks Abidrew! I would have researched it more of course, but now I probably won't look into it. Thanks for explaining that to me though. My husband uses it as a nervine sometimes, so I'll mention it to him.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon